Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 2005/06 S Works Stumpjumper fork travel length?
  • deano8
    Free Member

I bought the M5 frame a year ago and I’ve been running 120mm rebas, whilst these are excellent forks I would like more travel. They have 120mm of rear travel.
    What did they originally come with as it isn’t clear on the website?
    I would like 140mm, has anybody tried this on this bike on here?

mrplow
    Free Member

I think my friend’s came with OE 120mm floats. I have a 2004 100mm stumpjumper fsr which has 130mm forks and is good fun. The BB is so low as standard that it does not feel high and you still feel in the bike and low in corners. It does trade off in climbing.

deano8
    Free Member

Thanks for your reply, I knew climbing might be an issue but does yours still climb well? I love my bike but would like the front end a bit slacker and plush for trips away to Wales etc.

Twin
    Free Member

My mate has the M5 s works, it has a 140mm TALAS on the front – its absolutely spot on. He does use the 120mm setting to climb but AFAIK it climbs pretty well on 140mm too. Make sure you maintain the pivot bearings on the frame though, someone I know snapped the brain shock on his due to siezed bearings on the linkage.

deano8
    Free Member

Cheers for that “twin” just what I wanted to hear:) i had been considering the talas.
    I’ve managed to get a modified rp23 from Tf tuned to replace the stock shock and brain which is amazing if a little costly, I’ll make sure I keep an eye on that pivot!!

z1ppy

My m8 has the 05 std stumpy and it’s got the original 140mm tala forks.
    Was going to point out the Spesh’s archive but seemingly it only cover 2007 onwards (poor show spesh)

deano8
    Free Member

Thanks guys, bring on the 140mm.
    Can’t wait

Esme
    Free Member

Is this what you were looking for, z1ppy? 😉
    2005 Model
    2006 Model

z1ppy

I was, but earlier the models weren’t displaying (only 2007 upwards).. hey ho

stumpyjon

I think the frame’s designed around 120mm. I’ve also got Talas 140’s of my 2007 frame. I leave them at 140mm most of the time but do occaisionally whack them down to 100mm on steep climbs, at 140mm the front wheel can wander a bit.

deano8
    Free Member

Thanks Esme, every time I’ve gone on the website I’ve only seen the 2007. How wired!

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I have the 2007 which is the same geometry and I run it with a 140mm Thor fork and it’s great! Theoretically I can drop the fork down for climbing but I never do as I don’t feel I need to.

I keep thinking I should update the frame with something newer but I’ve yet to test anything which feels anywhere near as good.

Esme
    Free Member

Earlier years are still there – but hidden 🙁

You can still access them via Google:
    specialized.com archive year model

(This method works for any website with a rubbish search facility)

Cheezpleez

I have a 2005 Stumpy. It came with a 90-130 Talas fork. It’s not a great climber TBH and is the only bike I’ve ever had that really needs the fork wound down for steep climbs. I’m sure it will be fine at 140 but I expect it will be wandery on the climbs.

ross980
    Free Member

2005 FSR Stumpjumper here with 140mm Fox Vanillas. Much better than oem forks on the downs, but really not good on steep climbs (as mentioned above, front wanders). My forks don’t wind down but a bodge using a toe strap works for very steep climbs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘2005/06 S Works Stumpjumper fork travel length?’ is closed to new replies.