Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • £2000 for an Old Car! – Seems Like it Hasn’t been fully Thought Through – or
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

A 2004 analysis by Toyota found that as much as 28 percent of the carbon dioxide emissions generated during the life cycle of a typical gasoline-powered car can occur during its manufacture and transportation to the dealer.

So ultimately you’d need to be coming from a very polluting car and doing high mileage to negate the new purchase, on a CO2 emissions basis.

hora
    Free Member

Buy a new car =
    More work for Dock workers
    Shipping/import excise bods
    Bank/loans businesses
    Transporting drivers/companies
    Admin/car showroom sales staff
    etc etc

Its a whole industry.

Lets have an election.

willard

Yup, I know biofuels are bad. I’m talking about waste oil.

And the main thing about Land Rovers is that they last… All the ones that I see are old, but still run.

mudshark
    Free Member

Yeah but can’t use waste oil as a strategy – only works for a few.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

MF but it lost alot of money- 8k.

Agreed – but I had a nice reliable new car with no spend on any maintenance (other than servicing) at a cost of £135 a month.

I could have got an old banger but it would have (in all likelyhood) have been more prone to breaking down and inevitably have needed more routine maintenance/replacement parts. I am not saying it would necessarily have cost £8k over 5 years, but then I wouldn’t have had a nice new car either….

GrahamS

So ultimately you’d need to be coming from a very polluting car and doing high mileage to negate the new purchase, on a CO2 emissions basis.

But part if the motivation behind this, aside from the obvious economic stimulus, is reducing UK emissions. Most of these new cars will be made abroad, so overall our emissions will be reduced and it will just be those nasty foreign-types that are destroying the world. 🙄

mt
    Free Member

Onzadog-Yep it’s true the greenest cars are the most recyclable and the Jeep Wrangler (of major manufacturers) including fuel consumption was worked out to be the greenest. The Toyota was one of the worst due to amount of electronics and that battery which is a recycling nightmare. Our super goverment insists that all minister (below built proof issue) have a Prius, even though Toyota could not(would not) give them CO2 life cost. Prius all marketing and no substance.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I could have got an old banger but it would have (in all likelyhood) have been more prone to breaking down and inevitably have needed more routine maintenance/replacement parts.

Not if you bought wisely? Most decent cars will last up to 7-8 years without any major issues, buy it around the 4-5 year mark and it’ll probably have had a cam belt and clutch already, you may need to get shocks replaced but not in my experience. Plus you can buy a better car for the cash and set aside the extra for repairs should they be needed. Friend of mine recently bought a euro-box for ~13K on credit, comes with a few nicities like sat nav, air con etc but ultimately a miserable tin box with no power or comfort. Then one of my other mates rolls up in a 7 year old 740 with cream leather, air con, uber comfy and quiet, LPG converted (£ for £ gets more mpg than the eurobox) that he picked up for £1500. Since then the eurobox has been back for several repairs, under warranty of course, but the BM just ticks along happily. Insurance is a smidge higher, tax is a bit higher, but it cost 11.5K less to buy and is a quality car. While I know BMWs arent everyones taste, I’m just using it to illustrate that “old bangers” dont need to be beat-up fiat pandas that fail every few months to be VASTLY cheaper than buying new and wasting stacks on depreciation.

Still, each to their own- I’m not sure any solution is right for everyone.

hora
    Free Member

Ive got a R Peugeot 306 sat on the drive. I might get it MOT’d then stuck on autotrader. With the proceeds I’ll then buy my mates 03 Golf TDI off of him (hes lost the service history)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Our super goverment insists that all minister (below built proof issue) have a Prius, even though Toyota could not(would not) give them CO2 life cost. Prius all marketing and no substance.

Interesting that, as I’ve just been to a public lecture given by Toyota telling of their whole life-cycle costs for hybrid cars in comparison with normal. On CO2 they’re 47% better than a similarly sized petrol auto vehicle, and 15% better than a manual diesel, over a 150k km lifespan, but they’re designed and tested (real world) to 400,000km lifespan. While I was never a prius fan, having seen their data I’m inclined to agree they are good for city driving at least.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Not if you bought wisely?

And if the gearbox on the Beemer goes? Or other major part. An exhaust alone is about £600. Double that and then some for original part. I once saw a price for a full exhaust system for a 7 Series in a BMW garage and it was circa. £3.5k

I also knew someone a while back who had a relatively new Beemer but out of warranty. It ws scrapped because the cost to replace the goosed auto box was more than the value of the car.

As you say, each to their own.

zaskar
    Free Member

If you lot actually read the small print…

£2K trade in for older car until March 2010.

You need to own the car for a year minimum.

It’s April now (nearly May!) if you add 12 months to the date now…you wouldn’t qualify anyway!

So anyone buying an older car raised in price would have to be thick.

Anyone selling their old £100 car for 2K to the thicko is laughing their heads off.

Always read please.

coffeeking
    Free Member

And if the gearbox on the Beemer goes? Or other major part. An exhaust alone is about £600. Double that and then some for original part. I once saw a price for a full exhaust system for a 7 Series in a BMW garage and it was circa. £3.5k

They very rarely do go, thats the whole point of the option, but even if it did you could still replace the gearbox with the depreciation of a new cars first year and have a nicer car at the end of it.

Buying a whole exhaust system for any car is pricey but bearing in mind that you rarely need to replace any of the front half before 200K miles and I know of 2 5 series on ~200K miles with the original exhaust your argument is pretty poor. Parts prices are higher, but the rate of replacement is significantly lower. Sure one or two models have glitches but thats where buying wisely comes in.

Sure there are individual datapoints but they dont disprove the rule of thumb.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But that is MY point too. An old £1.5k car will have no warranty and is bound to have more wear & tear / reliability issues than a new car. If a new car DOES prove unreliable they almost all have 3 yr warranties.

You cannot possibly know, when buying an old car, if it will be reliable or not.

And I DID say in my OP that an old car will probably be cheaper to run than a new one, but I certainly do NOT agree that an old car is nicer than a new one. Not unless it is concorse standard (which would then mean paying silly money). Otherwise it will look and drive like it is – an old car.

traildog
    Free Member

Yes, you don’t get something for nothing in life. Second hand cars like the one described above are usually cheap because they are a potential money eating time bombs. I know a few people who thought similar cars were a good purchase but it’s ended up costing them a fortune. And also, it doesn’t matter how great and well built a car is, it ages and I’ve never been in an old car which is as nice to drive as a new one.

I’ve always said I personally wouldn’t buy a brand new one as you lose so much money driving it out of the forecourt. And this is what a lot of people think, which is why we’ve had the interesting situation where old cars have been selling for more than new ones!

My car is about to have it’s 10th birthday. Not really sure it’s financially a good idea for me to replace it with a brand new one though.

hora
    Free Member

But that is MY point too. An old £1.5k car will have no warranty and is bound to have more wear & tear / reliability issues than a new car. If a new car DOES prove unreliable they almost all have 3 yr warranties.

Even if you bought all the aftermarket warranties in china you still wouldnt spend/lose as much money in depreciation though. Plus new cars- they always seem to have a long raft of servicing/fluid changes etc otherwise you invalidate your warranty.

fingerbike
    Free Member

Onzadog-Yep it’s true the greenest cars are the most recyclable and the Jeep Wrangler (of major manufacturers) including fuel consumption was worked out to be the greenest. The Toyota was one of the worst due to amount of electronics and that battery which is a recycling nightmare. Our super goverment insists that all minister (below built proof issue) have a Prius, even though Toyota could not(would not) give them CO2 life cost. Prius all marketing and no substance.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/article/1010861_prius-versus-hummer-exploding-the-myth

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

you still wouldnt spend/lose as much money in depreciation though.

I never said you would and DID say a new car would cost more. But what price having a nice newcar than a tatty and unreliable old tip?

But, each to their own ehhh?

coffeeking
    Free Member

There are plenty of quality older cars that drive and handle as well, if not better than, modern cheaper ones and need fewer services and lower parts costs.

As I said though, you have to invest time and effort into the purchase and buy wisely.

An older car doesnt have to be tatty or unreliable – thats a misconception spread by dealers who want you to buy a nice shiny new car. Plenty fall for it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh whatever, I am bored of this – the same comments are being regurgitated now.

ransos
    Free Member

If the government were interested in the environmental performance of new cars, they would have restricted this scheme to cars in VED bands A & B. But they aren’t so they haven’t.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Its a fair point ransos. Funny how they can be blabbering on about cutting emissions with one hand and then blankly losing an opportunity to improve things (given time) with the other.

IA

Actually if you read the budget, they don’t expect this scheme to be good for the environment. It’s listed as having a slight improvement on carbon emissions at best, and probably neutral in balance.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

So if I’ve got this right…..

The reason why we’re in the doo doos now is because people have been borrowing madly and getting themselves into debt.

And the government have introduced an incentive for Joe Public who’s had an old banger now for a year or so to trade it in for a new car and presumably take out a fairly hefty loan for the other £6000+ he/she will need to finance it?

Are people who have old bangers genuinely going to go off an buy a new car?

Olly
    Free Member

if i wanted to buy a new car, could i not go and get a tiny tiny bag of crap 2cv, but with a pased MOT, for 150 quid, and trade it in the next day?

flipiddy
    Free Member

My old dear is in the market for a new car.

Can anyone see any pitfalls if I were to purchase the car, utilise this scheme with the banger I own and then transfer the new car ownership over to her once the sale is complete?

Other than the fact that I will no longer have a car of course…. 🙁

flipiddy
    Free Member

if i wanted to buy a new car, could i not go and get a tiny tiny bag of crap 2cv, but with a pased MOT, for 150 quid, and trade it in the next day?

No, as I understand it you need to have had the car registered under your name for a minimum of 12 months and the scheme ends in a year…

aP
    Free Member

The Chrysler 300C is going for £14,000 less than RRP at the moment, although buying a car from a company that probably won’t make it into the second half of 2009 isn’t very clever.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Also buying a bloody ugly rollsalike is questionable 😀

GrahamS

I quite liked Cameron’s retort to this scheme:

The Chancellor told us about his scrappage scheme.

So let me get this right.

You take something that’s 10 years old, completely clapped out, pumps out hot air, pollutes its surroundings, and is absolutely ripe for the knackers yard.

What a brilliant idea!

IA

“Are people who have old bangers genuinely going to go off an buy a new car?”

I might. I was in the market for a berlingo or similar anyhow, and they’re cheap new. I was looking at say 3 year old ones. But with a discount, and the fact that a new one will have a warranty, can choose the spec I want and get a more efficient engine…. might just make it worth my while (in the longer run) to get a new one. And I can afford to buy new if it works out better for me.

So I plan to go off round a few dealers at the weekend, see what sort of deals they’ll do (i know scrappage doesn’t start till next month, but I’ll get a good idea if it’s feasible or not. And I’d buy new now if it was that good a deal…)

Gary_C

£2000??

You could get a bike for that…. 😉

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

My car is twenty years old, and I’ve owned it for ten years. It’s done 167,000 miles, 112,000 of which are mine.

Last year I test drove a new top-of-the-range Golf, and it was nice, but not even close to £25,000 nicer than my old car.

So I kept it, and I’m glad. Old cars are more zeitgeisty than shiny new motors anyway.

GrahamS

Mmm our old car is about 8 years old and has done a similar mileage to that. It cost us nearly two grand in servicing, MOT and breakdowns recently.

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘£2000 for an Old Car! – Seems Like it Hasn’t been fully Thought Through – or’ is closed to new replies.