• This topic has 95 replies, 63 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hugo.
Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • 2 New Laws in force next week, good news for the environmnet
  • GrahamS

How about charging 50p per bag? That should stop it dead in its track. What’s with this pussy footing 5p shite?

As others have said, 5p was enough to massively reduce carrier bag use in Wales and Scotland.

It’s just a Nudge Tax, it doesn’t need to be punitive to work.

If you want to smoke until your entire family die then so be it coz that will free up space …

By that logic it should be legal to murder members of your own family. 😕

chewkw
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

How about charging 50p per bag? That should stop it dead in its track. What’s with this pussy footing 5p shite?

As others have said, 5p was enough to massively reduce carrier bag use in Wales and Scotland.

It’s just a Nudge Tax, it doesn’t need to be punitive to work.[/quote]

Make up your mind. Do you want it or do you not want it? What with this halfhearted environment approach? 5p … ya, that’s shite!

If you want to smoke until your entire family die then so be it coz that will free up space …

By that logic it should be legal to murder members of your own family. [/quote]

FFS! Only in Britain you get people smoking in their house/car with all windows closed. I was surprised (a bit shock) that this actually happened … so so stooppid.

I remember the first time I traveled on a double-decker bus in London where people were smoking like chimney with all windows closed. I thought these people must be half pint to smoke with all windows closed.

Even the head hunters do not smoke like chimney in a fully air conditioned bus … their women folks will smoke while carrying their baby on their back but never in an enclosed space.

If people intentionally want to kill my family then I should be able to defend them.

However, if I am stooopid enough to smoke like you lot with windows closed then I think it should be wise that my gene should not be passed down to the next generation. In that case I have done you a favour so you need to thank me. Oh yes … you have the permission to shoot them (my family) if they are so stoopid to smoke with all windows closed in a confined space, if you don’t I would do it myself because they are so stoopid.

Klunk
    Free Member

they were talking to a guy on radio4 who started a plastic bag recycling firm, highly commendable, but one thing that struck me a “as a bit nuts” was that one of the item they recycled the bags into was bin liners 😕

me1tdown
    Free Member

It’s a step in the right direction. Works well in Wales, although it is frustrating when you forget to take your own bags with you.

On a related note, I really wish supermarkets could/would sell a reduced packaging version of products for 1p less than the retail packaged item. Toothpaste particularly annoys me. I see no reason for tubes to come individually in a laminated cardboard box. I would gladly buy the same toothpaste in a white tube with the type printed in simple black ink. They could ship them in shelve sized boxes of ~20 tubes.

spekkie
    Free Member

Been paying for plastic bags in South Africa for years. Became necessary to introduce a charge because of the litter aspect. You’d have thought SA’s national flower was the plastic bag there were so many of them snagged on barber wire fences out in the veld.

Sat in front of a woman of the plane back from the UK last week who was outraged with the new smoking law. She said to the person sitting next to her that it was her car and her kids. No one else had a right to interfere. Funnily enough, and I’ve only just put these two things together, the captain on the plane made an announcement that two smoke detectors had gone off in two toilets during the flight and that if they found out who the culprit was they’d be handed over to police on landing. Maybe it was her.

GrahamS

She said to the person sitting next to her that it was her car and her kids. No one else had a right to interfere.

I wonder if she views all child protection laws in the same way? 😕

spekkie
    Free Member

I would guess so. She didn’t sound like a very pleasant individual.

outofbreath
    Free Member

According to high heid yin in Morrisons the reduction in use of new plastic bags in Scotland is down between 80-90%

…and their trade in kitchen bin liners has gone up 80-90pc. 😀

GrahamS

“CHAOS!” “FEARS!”

Too funny…

Twitter reacts to the 5p plastic bag charge

molgrips
    Free Member

Lolz.. Scottish and Welsh definitely more intelligent than English, then. And better at rugby.

athgray
    Free Member

I wasn’t sure at the time if charging would actually reduce the number of bags going to landfill.

The funny thing in the early days after introduction in Scotland, was seeing people ( mainly guys) precariously carrying a load of bagless shopping by using their chin to stop it toppling. The real fun began when they got back to the car.

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve been stockpiling bags and am going to stand outside waitrose selling them for 2p a bag 😈

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…..am going to stand outside waitrose selling them for 2p a bag

I suggest you stand outside Asda…….. Waitrose customers can easily afford 5p for a plastic bag.

In fact hardcore Waitrose customers buy a bag-for-life every time they go shopping and then bin them as soon as they get home.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

The thing that I find quite amusing is all the people who are saying that they will gladly spend 5p to save the environment. 🙄

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’ve been stockpiling bags and am going to stand outside waitrose selling them for 2p a bag

I hope they are Waitrose bags, I wouldn’t want to be seen with another brand that would be so embarrassing 🙂

I have mixed feelings about this, huge benefit for the supermarkets who no longer have the cost of proving bags plus they will sell more bin liners etc. Contrary is the fact its a huge waste not to use longer lasting re-usable bags. They haven’t had free bags in France for years, you have to remember to bring your own shopping bags. if we forget we tend to load the car directly from the trolley, real aversion to paying for carrier bags

I think we could see an increase in home delivery too, make the supermarket carry the stuff to your door, certainly all the canned and packed goods. You can visit the shop to pick fruit and veg and meat, stuff that will go in one or two bags.

hugo
    Free Member

UK Government study comparing different types of carrier bags

Yes, I’m that dull.

It does make an interesting point. A cotton bag for life has to be used 131 times to make it more environmentally friendly than a plastic bag. This is under the assumption that every plastic bag is binned after use and not reused, eg waste disposal.

I can’t help thinking that if you want to do the best thing for the environment then re-using normal placky bags is the way to go, and anyone with a bag for life is probably doing more harm than good.

I also can’t help thinking that the vast majority of plastic waste from a shop isn’t the bag, but it’s the packaging on food. Plastic tray, inside plastic box, inside coloured printed card sleeve nonsense. So the government has missed the target really. They’re just transferring the costs from the supermarket to the consumer.

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘2 New Laws in force next week, good news for the environmnet’ is closed to new replies.