Home Forums Chat Forum 2 man tent for Backpacking??

• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by desf.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 2 man tent for Backpacking??
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

What would you reccomend??

Fancy going for a few weekends away with the wife, as opose to being on my own all the time, so need a decent 2 man tent.

Any advice??

Cost ain't an issue, quality is.

alexonabike

Macpac Minaret

Pinkstiffee
    Free Member

MSR Hubba Hubba HP if carrying

or Hilleberg Nallo if not

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Terra nova voyager/ superlight voyager. try and get an ex demo / factory sale one

skinnysteel
    Free Member

+ 1 for Macpac tents.

gecko76

Second the Terra Nova Voyager.

Pieface

If you can handle the weight I'd go for a NF Merlin 33

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/the-north-face/merlin-33/

Granted its heavy but it has extra space, and you sleep across the 2 porches so is easier for the pair of you to get out – You just swivel / roll-out without disturbing each other.

I think Coleman or Hi-Gear (Cheap I know) do similar designs, though I'm sure you can get a similar design by others. If you can get a lightweight version of a tent with this lay-out ot makes things way better IMO

Having spent 3 weeks in a tunnel tent I learnt these kind of things are important for the midnight wee.

mattstreet

+1 for the TN Voyager.

Sandwich

Lightwave Trek T2 and your choice of flysheet. My 3 man weighs about 2.6kg and is not too big a pack with the XT fly.

Pieface

TN Voyager very good, Porch design is excellent, but I think the 2 porch, trnasverse sleeping arrangement is for the win

skidartist
    Free Member

I like my North Face Roadrunner 22. Good access with porches on both sides and decent length for me (6'6")

Pieface

I'd say the roadrunner 22 then

amodicumofgnar

Terra Nova Voyager superlight for 3-season space and stability
    Terra Nova Laser for up close and personal lightness

flatfish
    Free Member

tnf tadpole

skidartist
    Free Member

If you are tall then once you've narrowed it down your choices try and find somewhere that has the tents set up and 'try them on'. I found it difficult to find meaningful measurements and its difficult to compare between different brands on a like for like basis too. Looking closely some of them are pretty crazy. When I was looking I found one model that comes in a 2 man and a 3 man version, the 3 man version had a whole 10cm of extra width.

I've happily binned a tent rather than carry it home before now (and not because it was heavy), so a bit of travel and research finding the right one is worthwhile.

aviemoron
    Free Member

These are superbly well made tents, but are you carrying it, or vehicle camping and do you want outer or inner up first. If the cars taking the strain, go bigger than you think, being able to sit comfortably at a table out of the weather / midgies is a boon. If it's on your back, it's much trickier to choose- weight, weatherproofness, cost, size, etc, etc. There is no "do it all" tent, that's why we've got 4!

desf
    Free Member

We have a Hilleberg Nallo 2. Can't fault it. Feels well made too.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘2 man tent for Backpacking??’ is closed to new replies.