Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 1×9 – Ratio's ?
  • the_lecht_rocks

thinking about 1 x 9 on the Helius AM this year.
    recommended ratio's ?
    it's steep here in NE Scotland……

willej

I've been OK using a 32 x 11-34 for a few years now, on a couple of different hardtails. Most of my riding is local north downs, Surrey hills area but I've done a few trips to the Welsh trail centres and to Glentress without too much difficulty.
    Might be a bit different on a Helius AM in NE Scotland though! :o)

epicsteve
    Free Member

I've got a 2+bash setup on my Enduro, with 24/36 on the front and 11:34 on the back. While I tend to do most things using larger cog on the front I do still find 36:34 too high at times, so if I was going with one cog on the front I'd go 32 with 11-34 on the back.

Personally I'd be a lot more inclined to go 2+bash on the front though, especially with a reasonably heavy bike.

the_lecht_rocks

epicsteve – i am currently 2 + bash.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Do you spin or mash? Freewheel or pedal downhills?

I have used 32 and 36 ring with a 11/34 cassette. ( both on commuters) 32 is a bit low – but does give a hillclimbing gear. 36 is better until you hit the steep hills. Try 32 for starters

the_lecht_rocks

TJ – spin AND mash.
    freewheel AND pedal……..
    32 11/34 is what i'm thinking.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

32 11/34 has served well down here in Surrey as well as GT/Inners and North Wales (did Snowdon, but none of us really rode much of it upwards).

charliedontsurf

36 at the front. 11:34 at the rear on a 29er. That's a tough ratio and a bigger wheel compared to the others above but I can get up everything locally (purbecks).
    I would suggest designing it around getting your easiest gear right as life is easier with a good climbing gear and spinning out downhill. You spend much more time going up so get that aspect right.

PJ266
    Free Member

Id say 32 on the front, Ive been runnign that for the last year and wouldnt want anything bigger.

slowrider
    Free Member

32t here too. stick a XX cassette on the back, they go up to 36t!

smiffy

no replies have mentioned a ratio yet

adam_h
    Free Member

36T front ring and 11-34 rear casette. Works great for me 🙂

guitarhero
    Free Member

I run 34 11/34 on the blur 4X

thomthumb
    Free Member

I'd recomend 32. i've run 32&36 on a 32-11T.

both were ok although i did end up walking a lot more with the 36t (bike will also be issue with this)

slx also do a 36-12T cassette. (29er specific supposedly)

if you were to run 36T 36-12T caseette would give you a bit more range but not huge.

32:32-11 = 26-75 inchs
    36:32-11 = 29-85 inchs
    36:36-12 = 26-78 inchs

HTH

StuE
    Free Member

Chain Reaction have 12-36 Deore cassettes in stock for £23.00 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=572 bit cheaper than the £250 odd pounds for the XX

bedmaker

32 11/34 here too on a 29er. Only ever an issue on silly long and steep climbs like Carn ban Mhor where Id rather get off for a walk than spin a granny anyway.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘1×9 – Ratio's ?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM