Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)
  • 1×11 – not all its cracked up to be?
  • Northwind

ghostlymachine – Member

they are dirksdigglers reasons for not liking 2x. Not my reasons for not liking 1x

OK, not being funny but you could maybe work on making your posts a bit clearer then, because that’s really not how it reads at all

gelert
    Free Member

I don’t think it was setup wrong. It would work perfectly when tested or if you tried to show someone it going wrong. It just didn’t perform well when I’d need it to most while out on the trail.

Nobody’s saying ditch 2x or 3x if it works for you. My experience on my first MTB in 2013 was that it didn’t work very well for me and it made an otherwise enthusiastic new rider unhappy with it’s unreliability.

Saying dedicated 1×11 isn’t all it’s cracked up to be is going to attract a fair bit of flame attention.

Saying 1×10 isn’t all it’s cracked up to be would be fairer because there is a range issue with 1×10 with normal cassettes and expander cogs are a bodge.

When you add in the extra 11th bail out 42T gear above a 36/37T the 1×11 range is massively expanded and very usable. I don’t personally need the 10T SRAM has where I live.

Now I’ve tried M8000 for myself on my bike and on my steep hills I’m very happy with my setup.

I can’t see how ditching a DM oval ring, chain guide, adding a double spider, two new chain rings, a front mech, a front shifter and a new cable inner and outer is going to help me now… it’s adding more moving parts that could break and more weight making it need the extra ratios it adds.

scotroutes

See, if I was to post something about some folk being too incompetent to set up and use a front mech, I’d get all sorts of attacks because “no one ever says that”. I should really bookmark this post for future reference. Pity I can’t be arsed going through the various other similar threads and quoting them all.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

a)I’m getting steadily worse at English. I don’t interact with a huge number of native speakers. b)think i was on my phone c)i was never particularly good at English anyway.

Northwind

I’m definitely too incompetent to set up a front mech- there are photos. I hate it. Always get there eventually just by infinite monkeying it though, so it doesn’t influence what gears I fit.

kcal

contemplating a new bike. Reading thread with lots of interest.
    Trouble is it’s such a ball ache if it is all not what I would want…

Currently it’s either SS (32:17) or 3×8..
    Going to be a shock either way. 🙂

Northwind

Go 2×7.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

It’s like criticising someone’s driving. Might as well ask them to punch you in the nuts for all the good it’ll do.

Though once you’ve worked in a shop for any amount of time you’ll feel like punching them in the nuts. The ones they seem to have lubricated with salt paste and tightened with a 2 foot bar.

adsh
    Free Member

Just paid for 1×11 for my race HT. Currently running on 1×10 (30T 11-36) which is fine for racing but a bit limiting for training/more general riding.

XX1 cassette
    XT m8000 Ispec B shifter
    XTR M9000 medium cage mech

Training wheels will run a XT 11-40 cassette (save on XD driver and allow move back to 10speed for other bike)

scotroutes

I’ve worked in a shop….

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

So you know exactly what i mean, to 4 or 5 decimal places.

gelert
    Free Member

Oops, wrong thread.

Viewing 12 posts - 81 through 92 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘1×11 – not all its cracked up to be?’ is closed to new replies.