Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 1×10 – suitable for trails in the Swiss Alps?
  • mitzeclipse
    Free Member

Hi all,
    I’m new to mountain biking (I’m a roadie in the UK) however I have the opportunity to do extensive mountain biking in the Swiss Alps – is a 1×10 going to give me enough gears for the climbs? I’ve been reading 1×10 vs 2×10 threads and there are quite a few advantages of a 1×10 setup so leaning towards this way for the simplicity, however, worried about keeping up with my mates with the larger gear range!

Thoughts please… thanks

iolo
    Free Member

I rode 3×9 in the Austrian Alps with no problems.
    Maybe try that.

torihada
    Free Member

I went 1 x 10 in French Alps last summer with TA in Beaufortain. Trek Remedy. Ration 34 x (11 – 36). On very steep sections I ran out of gears. I’ve since fitted a T-rex extender cog. I hope 34 x 40 will help me on the steepest climbs. On the steepest climbs the people pushing kept up with riders grinding out their granny’s.

Superficial
    Free Member

You may find that coming from a roadie background, you’re used to higher cadences and therefore struggle on 1x. Certainly I’ve noticed that going the other way (having ridden 1x on MTB for a couple of years now) I’m happier spinning slower on my road bike – around 60-70/min rather than 80-90.

The other thing is that if you’re doing long all-day rides in steep terrain you might welcome a bail-out granny ring, though I suppose this depends on your fitness.

bigjim

there are some pretty serious climbs in the alps, I deferred going 1×10 before my last trip there, but like the idea of leaving the granny ring on and shifting it over by hand for really big climbs.

sambuka
    Free Member

Recommend 32, oneup 42

smatkins1
    Free Member

I was happy with the range of gears 1×10 offered for riding in the Alps. But I suppose it depends on personal preference.

I run 36t front with 11-40t on the back with 26″ wheels.

mick_r

Depends how you ride. I’m mostly singlespeed at home, so 1x whatever is fine for me. Have done:-

Swiss Alps, 26″ wheels with an Alfine. 29″ with 1×6 32:32 lowest gear.
    Austrian Alps 29″ wheels 1×8 32:34 lowest.
    Pyrenees lots of climbing with no uplifts, 29″, 1×10 30:36 lowest gear with clutch mech and narrow-wide (this was the best setup).

mrlebowski
    Free Member

1 x 10???

I wouldn’t!

I rode a 2 x 9 Middleburn 1000ks across the Pyrenees years ago & nearly said goodbye to my knees…

Think of the future & be nice to your knees – you only get one good set….go at least 2 x 10!

mitzeclipse
    Free Member

Thank you all for the responses. I’ve bought a bike off the forum which is a 1×10 and is being rebuilt to convert to a 2×10 before it gets to me – thanks again for the quick posts!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘1×10 – suitable for trails in the Swiss Alps?’ is closed to new replies.