Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 156 total)
  • £1600 audio ethernet cable
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

I’m not slagging it off!
    Just saying it’s based on Philips components.

It is isn’t it?

No, not really.

Yes it is.

Philips TDA1541 based CD players

bigjim

I haven’t heard any Naim kit in years but I wouldn’t be surprised to come across very clever improvements to stock parts in there

maybe some blue stickers, er I mean tuning devices

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina47.htm

or some stones, sorry resonance control devices

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina17.htm

AlexSimon

If this £1600 Ethernet cable can make such a difference, I wonder if I can improve my Wi-Fi similarly?
    Perhaps if I cryogenically treat the antennae?

bellerophon
    Free Member

Yes it is.

Philips TDA1541 based CD players

But that’s just a list of CDPs that use the Philips DAC (probs at the time the best, and even now well respected) and transport, a bit like a list of those that use Burr-Brown.

It isn’t just the DAC – its the overall design and the other components in the analog stage that will determine overall sound quality.

So I’d say no it’s not just a Philips

gobuchul
    Free Member

So I’d say no it’s not just a Philips

Never said that. What I said was:

Just saying it’s based on Philips components.

Which seems pretty much the same as:

But that’s just a list of CDPs that use the Philips DAC (probs at the time the best, and even now well respected) and transport, a bit like a list of those that use Burr-Brown.

An AMG Mercedes is different to a “normal” Mercedes but it is still based on “just” a Mercedes.

dmorts

The root of the problem is that there is no easy way to assess absolute sound quality, it’s very subjective. This Audiophile nonsense is very much like the Emperor’s Clothes, e.g.
    Timing and coherence are the two really easy differences to hear, but like other interconnects it’s simple to spot the differences in levels of detail, tonal quality and dynamic performance.

i.e. If you can’t hear the difference you’re a moron.
    That’s not strictly true – all of those things can be measured fairly accurately, using, in some cases, a number of scales. That said – it’s a real faff to measure them, and the differences between the measurements are difficult to actually assess unless you have some kind of reference – as with many audio things, they mean little to nothing in a vacuum.

I stand by original point. There is no absolute measure of sound quality, e.g. this system is 84/100 on the “Absolute Sound Quality” scale. There are two sides to it, the electrical/mechanical/acoustic response of the equipment and then there is the psycho-acoustic response of the human listening to it. No metric in hi-fi/pro audio brings these two things together. As you stated, there are a lot of audio metrics but they’re all measurements of just the hi-fi system. Nothing uses psycho-acoustics, something which is quite well understood.

However, metrics that combine the system response and the human response are in use elsewhere in audio, for example, mobile phone audio quality.

I was at a lecture by John Watkinson (Art of Digital Audio) last year, run by AES, where he challenged the use of the current metrics to measure loudspeakers, was quite interesting.

bellerophon
    Free Member

Hi gobuchul, I see what you’re saying, you also said “Naim is modified Philips kit, sames B&O, Arcam and numerous other suppliers”

To me modified philips kit would mean say take the circuit diagram and tweek it, which is like the merc analogy.

Now I could be wrong, but won’t the hifi manusfacturers you mentioned be simply using the DAC (philips in this case) and designing their own circuit around it, building it with their selection of components.. no?

AlexSimon

However, metrics that combine the system response and the human response are in use elsewhere in audio, for example, mobile phone audio quality.

Isn’t that more about “we’re throwing away a huge amount of info – lets test which bits of the human voice people prefer to keep”?

gobuchul
    Free Member

bellerophon – I’m just trolling! In the nicest possible way 🙂

I have never known a brand that creates such strong responses as Naim does when criticised!

I still stand by the “modified” Philips kit though, the transport and the DAC are really the “prime movers” in a cd player, the other bits are the modifications. Doesn’t mean I believe Naim is not superior to B&O though. Although between Arcam and Naim, for example, at a similar price point, it would be very personal and subjective.

Although what you actually build a CD deck out of to justify £20k for it is beyond me. Do you use unicorn tears for lube or something?

The law of diminishing returns in hifi must mean the difference between a £1000 and £20,000 cd deck, is so small, then it almost a complete waste of money for the average person.

A bit like riding a £10k pro bike instead of a £1.5k bike in a sportive.

ransos
    Free Member

I don’t think science has managed to make a magicmeter yet.

Evolution gave us ears, and we all know about the results of double blind trials when it comes to audio cables…

bellerophon
    Free Member

LOL, gobuchul, maybe I bit too easily, but then I have just bought a 1987 B&O CDP and amp 😀 and everyone loves to slag of B&O 😉

I know what you mean on the 20k stuff, each to their own. My pet hate is the cable thing though, especially in the digital realm.

Like I said just bought some old B&O kit LOL, my friends laugh at me behind my back 😉 but I have the last laugh with the sleek, clean minimilist design…. sounds good to boot 🙂

bokonon
    Free Member

Nothing uses psycho-acoustics, something which is quite well understood

Except it’s not.

There are some really vast areas where there are gaps, and we can talk in terms of ranges of possibility (like frequency response changes in response to loudness changes) but there are some aspects (like the transition between the use of ITD and IID in localisation) which are poorly understood, and seemingly inconsistent.

We can do a lot with what we know about psycho-acoustics – just look at how effective MP3’s are at compressing audio down and retaining most of the information (particularly compared with other methodologies.) There is however, and insufficient amount of knowledge to use this to create a useful measurement of quality.

If we start to try and look at audio quality as a whole in any kind of detail, then Heisenberg pops up his head and says no – because we’re dealing with interacting variables, once we get any detail in terms of, for example, frequency, then we automatically lose detail in terms of timing and indeed phase.

AlexSimon

People don’t really laugh at B&O any more though – they just realise that it’s slick-looking/functioning rather than the best hi-fi. It doesn’t offend anyone like it used to when they sold hi-fi separates 🙂

Anyway – everyone just buys Sonos now

gobuchul
    Free Member

bellerophon listening to some banging beats on his B&O earlier.

My pet hate is the cable thing though, especially in the digital realm.

Totally agree, although I tend to buy decent quality interconnects simply as they are more physically robust. By decent quality I mean a tenner, not £100!

theflatboy
    Free Member

Do Ethernet cables have an effect on sound quality?
    Yes. Particularly when connected to a streamer. We did a lot of listening with various streaming devices, and every time changing the connection to the streamer made a big difference.

Well I’m convinced.

Reminds me of the reasoning in that article that was posted on here about creationists and dinosaurs on the ark…

bellerophon
    Free Member

LOL, I can’t see the image (work is blocking it) but going by the image name 😆

Anyway, I seem to be matching perfectly the hi fi and the music, both being from the same era 😉

yeah, know what you mean with everyone buying Sonos – not me though Ha ha

ourmaninthenorth

Anyway – everyone just buys Sonos now

How very dare you.

It’s an Apple Airport Express streaming from iTunes*.
    Oh. The. Horror.

*Lossless FWIW.

AlexSimon

🙂
    It’s ok – I don’t have any Sonos either. But I used to sell it and still recommend it to friends.

I have no need for multi-room therefore I have one nice hi-fi. If I need to hear music in another room, I turn it up!

Now don’t have a cd. It’s all on NAS or vinyl.

tom200

I know a guy with a high end hi-fi shop, he sell speaker cable for >£1000/m! When I asked him what the best cable he sells i, he said it was the £2.99 stuff, why, because it sounds the same as the most expensive!

Jamie
    Free Member

100!

chiefgrooveguru

Anyone spending £1000/m on loudspeaker cable needs to look at the inductors inside their crossovers, see how great a length of wire is in each, and realise the cost of that wire (even with the usual comedic hi-fi retail margin added)!

Until audio gets into the air (ie out of the loudspeakers) it’s pretty easy to accurately measure distortion (of any kind), so there’s so excuse for the stupidity that happens on the electronic side of things. Once you’re dealing with creating sound waves in a room and the oddness and complexity of the human ear and brain then we’re entering into fields that are far from fully understood.

ask1974
    Free Member

“In a blind test I would wager that most could not tell you which is the £1000 and which is the £10,000.”

Horse poo. Sorry, but if you design two systems to be as close as possible in terms of tonal presentation to try and maintain a similar ‘sound’ a £10k system will be far superior; soundstage, dynamics, imaging, pretty much anything than can be used to analyse performance would be improved. Whether the listener can or would justify the extra expense is a different question and highly subjective though.

Needless to say most of my favorite systems cost a lot less than £10k.

Cables?

Cables can very easily change the tonal character of a system and the cable manufacturers capitalise on this, you can’t measure it so it’s very easy to say “hey look, it’s better isn’t it?”. The thing with cables is that we all like to ‘believe’ we’ve made the right decision(s) to justify expense; in Hi-Fi it’s cabling and with bikes it’s weight; I mean do we really believe we’ll ride faster with an XTR rather than XT cassette? Deep down we know not but when spending £5k on a bike you want to ‘believe’ this is the right choice. Not trying to start a new discussion here but you get my point. Cable manufacturers, websites and high street retailers all take advantage of this to add margin to a sale.

News flash : businesses are out to make money and not every sales tactic is entrenched in scientific theory. Yes, I bought XTR! but I never spent more than £100 on all my cables for a system. ❓

I moved from high street to contract sales nearly ten years ago and I still giggle at the things I believed and the tactics I used. Yes most CD players had very similar internal components but you’d be amazed how differently they sounded, sometimes very slight but everyone likes choice. £20k on a CD player though, nope! £20k on speakers? Quite possibly.

I spend most of my time now focusing on user interface. When you install £500k+ Multi-room systems high quality is a given, it’s more about how easy it is to use as no amount of quality will fix a system that’s difficult. What do I use for music? Sonos. I don’t care how much money a client has Sonos offers the best user experience and is easily good enough for pretty much everyone.

Cougar

Cables can very easily change the tonal character of a system

Sure. But Ethernet cables? No chance.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Until audio gets into the air (ie out of the loudspeakers) it’s pretty easy to accurately measure distortion (of any kind)

Yeah but don’t tell anyone.

And if they do find out, give them one of these to measure it with:

bokonon
    Free Member

Cables can very easily change the tonal character of a system and the cable manufacturers capitalise on this, you can’t measure it so it’s very easy to say “hey look, it’s better isn’t it?”.

What can’t you measure? I’d wager that there are a whole host of things you could measure to identify the differences – probably more than you can for a specific cassette that’s for sure – the problem is that these are abstract to most people. i.e. You can describe the attenuation, resistance or inductance of a cable over it’s length, or the phase linearity or having an FEXT characteristic in a particular range based on particular stimulus and measurement circuit arrangements can tell you something about a cable, but it won’t mean much to most people.

However, given the nature of digital transfers of information, this does’t matter – there is no way for the signal degradation* in the cable to impact on the data in the cables – which is of course the whole point of ridicule in this particular thread. However much perceivable difference there is between two cables in the analogue domain, due to the nature of digital audio, data in = data out, unless you’ve screwed it up something rotten, in which case, the error protection kicks in and you get nothing.

*because even good analogue cables are not about improving the sound, they are about minimising degradation, even if that’s poor messaging in terms of sales.

toys19
    Free Member

ask1974 – Member
    “In a blind test I would wager that most could not tell you which is the £1000 and which is the £10,000.”

Horse poo. Sorry, but if you design two systems to be as close as possible in terms of tonal presentation to try and maintain a similar ‘sound’ a £10k system will be far superior; soundstage, dynamics, imaging, pretty much anything than can be used to analyse performance would be improved

BLAH BLAH BLAh

user experience and is easily good enough for pretty much everyone.

This is classic meaningless diversionary twaddle.

Come up with some measurable effects that those cables produce and you will have us, otherwise it’s just marketing bollocks.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Hahaha this thread has turned into a parody of itself. Keep up the good work lads.

p8ddy
    Free Member

Gizmodo featured an interesting article where the double blind tested audiophiles to see if they could tell the difference between speaker cables.

THe two ‘cables’ on test were high end Monster cabing and…. soldered wire coat hangers. The reviews rated both as ‘excellent’, but were unable to tell the difference, or to assess which they reckoned sounded ‘better’.

IMO a lot of this is down to teh placebo effect – you *think* you’re listening to high quality, therefore you perceive it as such.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Whether the listener can or would justify the extra expense is a different question and highly subjective though.

Are you seriously suggesting that in a double blind test most people could tell the difference? Despite numerous properly conducted tests proving otherwise? Why will the hifi companies not allow proper double blind testing of their equipment? Why does What HiFi not conduct proper blind testing?

Horse poo. Sorry, but if you design two systems to be as close as possible in terms of tonal presentation to try and maintain a similar ‘sound’ a £10k system will be far superior; soundstage, dynamics, imaging, pretty much anything than can be used to analyse performance would be improved.

FFS.

Cables can very easily change the tonal character of a system and the cable manufacturers capitalise on this,

Really? What happens to the electrons in a $200 interconnect compared to a $20 interconnect that makes such a difference?

chiefgrooveguru

IMO a lot of this is down to teh placebo effect – you *think* you’re listening to high quality, therefore you perceive it as such.

Ears are pretty rubbish microphones compared to good mics. However the brain is the best audio post-processor ever made – and if you tell the brain it’s going to hear better sound then it’ll work harder at deciphering the data coming from the ears. The placebo effect is HUGE in audio.

Gobuchul, as someone who designs fancy loudspeakers for a living I can tell you that it’s very hard to make two accurate loudspeakers for £1000. It is a hideously difficult job to get electrical energy to turn into pressure changes in a air in a manner which is truly representative of the source signal. However I’ve also noticed that I prefer listening to 6music through a little digital radio most of the time because I can hear the music without it taking over my life!

This site is makes good reading on the subject:

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/

You’ll notice that little on that site concurs with the silliness you can read in hi-fi magazines…

bigjim

Really? What happens to the electrons in a $200 interconnect compared to a $20 interconnect that makes such a difference?

😀

bigjim

Gobuchul, as someone who designs fancy loudspeakers for a living I can tell you that it’s very hard to make two accurate loudspeakers for £1000

they seem to manage it with reference monitors

chiefgrooveguru

Do they? I’ve not come across any which are accurate in anything other than a very heavily acoustically treated room and even then really struggle at lower frequencies.

bellerophon
    Free Member

a $20 interconnect

how much??, you must be mad 😉

bokonon
    Free Member

Monitors aren’t accurate, and their not designed to be either – if anything, a good pair of monitors for studio recording will punish the sound in the worst ways imaginable, showing up the worst aspects of a recording or a mixing the post production stage, so that consumers don’t get it later on – because audio engineers are not there to make it sound good, they are there to stop it sounding crap. If you can make it sound good on the most popular monitors around, then it will sound good on anything.

This is the fundamental problem with HiFi types – they are chasing something that doesn’t exist – the recordings they start with are flawed from the start because they have been specifically designed not to sound good per se, but to sound good on any old playback system – from a big expensive one to a crap cheapy car stereo. If the intention was ultimate audio quality from the start, then the process would be very different.

allthegear
    Free Member

If the intention was ultimate audio quality from the start, then the process would be very different.

that being the reason why there are such recording outfits as Linn Records…

bokonon
    Free Member

that being the reason why there are such recording outfits as Linn Records…

Who release content at 24/192 which, for a number of reasons, is slightly inferior and certainly not better than 16/44.1 – they sit on the “snake oil salesperson” side of the audio divide as far as I’m concerned.

D0NK

Who release content at 24/192 which, for a number of reasons, is slightly inferior and certainly not better than 16/44.1

my reckoning makes it 8/147.9 betterer. Not sure that’s enough to make me switch from my current setup, but you can’t argue with maths.

IHN

but you can’t argue with maths

I can, I make it 2.90249433106575963718820861678 betterer. Or worserer.

bigjim

Monitors aren’t accurate, and their not designed to be either – if anything, a good pair of monitors for studio recording will punish the sound in the worst ways imaginable, showing up the worst aspects of a recording or a mixing the post production stage, so that consumers don’t get it later on – because audio engineers are not there to make it sound good, they are there to stop it sounding crap. If you can make it sound good on the most popular monitors around, then it will sound good on anything.

OK I was generalising quite a bit in a very short answer and I guess there is a bit of interpretation in the word accurate. I’d certainly agree with you saying monitors are designed to show every element of the recording/sound they are reproducing, without flattering the audio to sound ‘nice’ at all, but that is what I personally would call an accurate reproduction of the sound, whereas the hifi sound I would say is designed to flatter the sound, and sound as pleasing as possible, rather than show up every bit of sibillance, 400hz mud, aliasing, etc etc that is present in the actual recording and audio signal being turned into sound. As you say the point of the monitors is so you can hear everything that is there in the audio signal, and that is what I would call being accurate.

I’d argue that a pair of modern Adam, Mackie or JBL monitors are very accurate, brutally honest and non flattering in terms of reproducing all the frequencies and amplitudes of sound in the recording compared to hifi speakers. In terms of things like NS10s, I’ve never experienced them but you always read if you can make your mix sound good on them then it will sound good on anything, but I see them as a different thing from modern reference monitors.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘£1600 audio ethernet cable’ is closed to new replies.