Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 144 total)
  • 13k specialized ebike!!
  • richmtb

Specialized can price their products however they see fit. Its not illegal or amoral to offer a complete product for more than the cost of the components.

But, if you knew anything about bikes you would have to be a complete fool to be spending more the the RRP of the components on a complete bike.

It will be bought by people who read lifestyle rather than mountain bike magazines.

molgrips
    Free Member

Then you see the engine and the whole facade falls away to be replaced by this vision of a plump IT middle manager using his wads of cash to try to compensate for his lack of…

I used to think like this. But then I thought, you know what – if you have money, why shouldn’t you buy the things you want? Wouldn’t it be more ridiculous to think ‘well I’d like this but I don’t want people to see me on it, I’m worried what they might think of me’ ?

I’m sure some people think I’m a right bell-end going out in my (bottom of the range) £100 Assos Lycra top and shorts, and my two-grand road bike. I’m sure people think I’m trying to show off and pretend I’m a pro. Some people probably look at that and then laugh at my gut. But really, I’m just out for a ride aren’t I?

kerley
    Free Member

But, if you knew anything about bikes you would have to be a complete fool to be spending more the the RRP of the components on a complete bike.

Or I know a lot about bikes but can’t be be bothered to spend the time and effort in building up and just want the off the shelf bike now. So what if it costs me more, I am not concerned about money and have more than I know what to do with hence buying a £13K bike.

doomanic

Surely you can’t compare an eBike to a classic car?

No, he’s comparing it to a Boxster… 😉

julians
    Free Member

This bike and its pricing relative to others doesnt seem too much different from various apple products to me.

There are other bikes from different brands that are nearly as good (or maybe even better depending on what you’re after) for half the price. Same goes for most apple stuff.

It’ll be bought by people that dont care that its more expensive than buying the components and building up, they just want that warm glow of knowing that its a very good bike, from a very good brand, with very good after sales support all bought from a shop down the road.

Just hope that the motor is reliable in this version…….

I wont be buying one – way too much money for me – like most apple products

snotrag

Some time back in the late 80’s the then boss of Porsche essentially said “If you want a cheap Porsche, then buy one second hand” and he culled all the “cheaper” versions and basic models, everyone said he was mad to do that, and surely it would spell the end of Porsche…And obviously now Porsche isn’t one of the largest car manufacturers in the worl

The problem with that analogy is that its completely wrong. As in the 80s and early 90s (when they stopped doing ‘cheap’ cars Porsche nearly died. And it was the introduction of the mass produced (Toyota inspired) 986 and its platform sharing 996 that ‘saved’ Porsche, and they sold in far, far higher numbers and with a bigger profit margin than their previous offerings in the 70s and 80s, and lead to the introduction of the Cayenne and other more mainstream models.

THAT is what made Porsche the most profitable car company in the world – before that they nearly went under.

Sorry for the massive OT there!

As for the bike – they clearly want to be driving themselves right to the top of the market, and the fact that year in year out they sell out of the high end stuff proves theres a market.

However, as always, that opens up a market for those more open to unknown brands, experimentation, etc.
    In a year or so time, once supply chains recover a little more, and the ‘man in a shed’ can purchase a crate of EP8 motors, I fully expect to see Cotic, Bird, Privateer, Calibre, AN other,s etc etc coming out with much more affordable Ebikes and hopefully, hopefully, E-bikes available as frame only!

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

Reading through, there are a number of posts pointing out that Specialized will sell all of what they produce and potentially sell out quickly. This tells us nothing about whether it’s overpriced (it is) or how many rich people there are out there. What it tells us is Specialized produces S-Works models in very low numbers, because they don’t sell many. Even less so when we’re talking about electric bikes that won’t be given out to sponsored racers.

Everyone I know with a S-Works bike seems to have only bought it because they could get trade prices.

What I want to know is if there are actually any IT middle managers here? Certainly ain’t me.

monkeyboyjc

If it were a 1k bike and had lower end components of a £750 bike people would be taking this thread very differently….
    It seems we view bikes in the high-end level very differently to the low end.

High end = people who can afford it wil buy it, what’s your problem….
    Lower end = it’s a rip off they won’t sell….

tomhoward

People are less concerned with value at the top end, simply.

Is the 13k bike 1/3rd more than sum of its parts, at RRP, like your £750 of parts bike for a grand?

ads678

I’d still only spend £750 ( or less with sales) and build it my self, as I’m not stupid.

kelvin

They need to price these to take account of returns and warranty repairs/replacements.

kayak23

Too much for me. I’ll stick to a more budget brand like….Santa Cruz.

Anyway, I know it’s all in the eye of the beholder and that but…

Visually, it’s not really tidy looking at all.

You have that paint fade on the rear section of the front ‘triangle’ then a solid break line on the downtube.

The seat stay isn’t in line with the top tube. No matter, at least the shock lines through….oh no wait, no it doesn’t, it’s a slightly different angle to the seatstay and the toptube.. This stuff matters! 😅

The motor has to be one of the ugliest of all the manufacturers. It’s like a massive blob of drool hanging down waiting to fall from the chops of a st Bernard.
    It’s massive!
    It absolutely SCREAMS ebike!
    Most of the other manufacturers have really slimmed the motors down with the latest iterations.

I think they look better in the flesh. I’ve seen a few of the last model about but still, that motor.. 😖

If I was paying that much I’d want it to have missed a few of the branches on the way down….

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

The thing with the Levo is when it is working properly, it rides really, really nicely nicely. The motor is powerful and quiet with great “feel” and response. This bike is not massively different from the current Levo, but loads of current owners will want to upgrade due to the new TCU and the “revised” geometry.

If I had a 2019 or 2020 Levo I would value the 4 year warranty over the newer model with a 2 year warranty.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Pity is so many people just stick them in Boost all the time though. That turns the pedals into little more than an on/off switch for the motor.

I’m surprised no-ones marketed a mid/high-end MTB without the torque measuring stuff (like the Bafang aftermarket motor). Theres definitely a market for it given the way these things are used. Surely would be good for improved reliability too??

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I don’t understand the perma-turbo derestricted mindset. There was a guy on the Facebook group asking about commuting on it. His was derestricted, so he has continual assistance, and the standard gearing 36/12 at a cadence of 90rpm has you travelling at nearly 40kmph. Seemingly this was not enough and he wanted to fit a bigger chainring…

jameso

You have that paint fade on the rear section of the front ‘triangle’ then a solid break line on the downtube.

I struggle with that much more than I GAS about the price. At least make it look 13ks worth?

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

They need to price these to take account of returns and warranty repairs/replacements

Hmm, so rather than doing their design and testing to a standard that results in a reliable product, Specialized just pass the financial onus straight to customers? Electric bikes have been around long enough now and the technology isn’t rocket science. Do it properly, or leave it to the motorcycle manufacturers. But having a battery and motor isn’t why Specialized are overpriced. They recently unveiled a basic aluminium hardtail frame…slap a different paint job on, chuck in a seatpost worth a tenner and suddenly it’s £1100!

chiefgrooveguru

“Pity is so many people just stick them in Boost all the time though. That turns the pedals into little more than an on/off switch for the motor.”

I ride mine loads in turbo. It’s only 250W, I can put out more power uphill on my own so how hard I pedal makes a big difference uphill. On the flat I often take it past the 15.5mph limit so then it’s me doing all the work.

Might be like an on/off switch for the motor if you’re a feeble/lazy pedaller but it isn’t for everyone.

tails
    Free Member

That genuinely put me off buying the stumpy, graphic designer should be going back to school.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

250W nominal. The 1.3 puts out 550W peak and the 2.1 560W peak. What is your output and how long can you sustain it? The motor helps a lot.

chiefgrooveguru

“ 250W nominal. The 1.3 puts out 550W peak and the 2.1 560W peak. What is your output and how long can you sustain it? The motor helps a lot.”

I don’t know, I just like pedalling bikes and based on my weight and reasonable uphill pace, especially for shorter bursts, I must have a fair amount.

Next time I go up my regular commute climb I’ll do it in turbo but pedalling as lightly as possible and see how long it takes. I did it yesterday with the power off because I’d forgotten to charge the bike so then I’ll have numbers for unassisted but fairly pedalling hard, turbo and pedalling hard and turbo but pedalling soft.

doomanic

Doesn’t the BLevo app give you power data from man and machine?

chiefgrooveguru

“ Doesn’t the BLevo app give you power data from man and machine?”

So it does! However that does mean spending £8.99 on an app and I’m rather frugal…

doomanic

Says the man with a multi-thousand pound bicycle… 😂

funkmasterp

£13k is a lot of money to spend on a bike. If I could afford that I’d have four or five great bikes as opposed to one ugly looking eBike.

chiefgrooveguru

“ Says the man with a multi-thousand pound bicycle… 😂”

If multi is between 2 and 3 of my money!

chakaping
    Free Member

At least make it look 13ks worth?

That’s the thing. While I know £10k+ bikes are silly, at least some of them look quite sexy.

But no e-bike has ever looked sexy. Or anywhere near. At the very best some might pass for normal bikes if you squint a bit, usually thanks to two-tone downtubes.

Am I right?

kayak23

Not really.
    Some ebikes do look pretty good, I think anyway.

Orbea have got the knack at the moment I reckon.

The lines follow down beautifully on this Wild fs.

And this Rise has a really slimmed down look.

This Mondraker is pretty nice too imho.

doomanic

The Rise does look good but the Wild looks like a tank.

funkmasterp

Nah, they all look like they have fat stomachs.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

This tells us nothing about whether it’s overpriced (it is) or how many rich people there are out there

Basic economics suggests that if they sell them all, they’re not overpriced. Plenty of people buy them at retail.

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

No, basic economics (whatever that means here), suggests nothing of the sort. It’s perfectly possible for something to be overpriced and still sell. Either the customer doesn’t realise, doesn’t care, or isn’t paying full price.

tomhoward

No, basic economics (whatever that means here), suggests nothing of the sort. It’s perfectly possible for something to be overpriced and still sell. Either the customer doesn’t realise, doesn’t care, or isn’t paying full price.

That’s a pretty long winded way of saying ‘I think it’s too expensive’.

How much do you think it should be? What wouldn’t be overpriced?

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

Less! I ain’t sitting here after midnight trying to work out what it should cost. Some of us have got to get up for work in the morning to afford our next bike 🙄

daveylad
    Free Member

They have nailed it. Looks ace, well looks like the kenevo which looks ace and finally modern geometry.
    I wouldn’t buy another brand until the dealer support is in place, aka Berkshire bikes levels of customer support.
    Doubt I would spend that on a bike, although I would be more likely to spend that on a bike than a car.
    If I tot up my kenevo with upgrades I’m at 10k plus easily.
    People aren’t being forced to buy it and cheaper manufacturers/models are available.

Houns

So how long until £20k bikes are with us? I’m going with 2030

kerley
    Free Member

No, basic economics (whatever that means here), suggests nothing of the sort. It’s perfectly possible for something to be overpriced and still sell

Exactly. I could sell you my bike for £20,000. It cost £1,000 so I would say £20,000 would definitely be overpriced but you could still pay me that for it.

It is overpriced if it costs more than the sum of its RRP parts as pretty much every other bike doesn’t. Based on that it should probably cost £11,000 which doesn’t make a lot of difference if someone is spending £11,000 they may as well spend £13,000. Like the tight arsed among us spending £1,000 instead of £800.

jameso

if they sell them all, they’re not overpriced

Exactly. Even if they sell most at rrp, not all.

If you can sell £10ks market value of physical product product for £13k then it’s not overpriced – if you think it’s poor value that’s different but you’re missing the value of brand. All those years of marketing, reputation, availability and service all add up and give a company a return. And you can’t overprice that aspect either. 13k here is the value of the parts and the brand.

monkeyboyjc

13k here is the value of the parts and the brand

The brand in this case would put me off, especially at 13k…. the ‘value’ of the own brand parts would also put me off for the money they are asking. I’m obviously not the target market but I’d rather buy from a smaller manufacturers than the likes of specialized/Trek/Giant etc.

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

Pricing in over estimated brand value seems to be a particular issue in the cycle industry. Specialized would be fairly close to the bottom for me.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘13k specialized ebike!!’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM