Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 12spd Shimano direct mount chainring removal????
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

mine have’nt come with the tool to remove the bleeding chainring!

does anyone know if anything else will fit to remove it? i have various other bb type sockets (one that worked on raceface direct mount chainrings) at home, but want to know before i get home tonight if possible

cheers

daern
    Free Member

The proper tool is the TL-FC41 which is normally supplied with the M8100 crankset.

It’s almost identical to the inside teeth of the TL-FC24 adapter which is the smaller sized tool used for newer Dura-ace and XTR BBs and fits into the inside of a TL-FC32, which is used for most other hollowtech BBs as well as centrelock rotors. If you have this adapter, combined with a normal hollowtech2 BB tool, I suspect it should get your chainring off. Better to use a socket based tool (like the one on the left or right below) than a spanner one which is more likely to chew up the adapter.

From left to right:
    TL-FC32 (third party), TL-FC24 adapter which fits inside the TL-FC32, TL-FC41 which was supplied with the M8100 crankset and has almost identical teeth to the TL-FC24.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply bud

I do have the bb tool like yours far left problem is that won’t slide over the Crank axle to get to the direct mount ring

The adaptor slides on but then there’s no way of gripping it with anything as it’s round on the outer side (so nothing to attach it to) unless I’m being totally numpty headed!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    daern
    Free Member

Good point on the socket adapter not going over the crank!

You have the TL-FC24 adapter? Do you have a regular spanner-type tool to turn it once over the lockring? e.g.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Yeh sadly doesn’t slide over which is gutting, other wise it would fit perfectly on the splines

As for the plastic adaptor, you have to put the spline side on first facing inwards towards the direct mount chainring, meaning the exposed side of the tool is just round plastic, there’s no way to grip it with any form of tool with it being round

So how yours is pictured on the desk is how I need to grip it, and just being round theres nothing for any tool to fit on to

daern
    Free Member

Can you not just slide the adapter on the other way around, or the with the flange out and a spanner-type tool (rather than a socket) pre-fitted to the adapter? Got any pics?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

No bud it won’t go on the other way as its round and no splines that side for it to slide on to

Have you got an isis bb tool? Is that not the same fitting as the splines on these? (not got the tools with me at work but have a isis bb tool at home)

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I could try the spanner type one with the tool in, but there’s no much exposed splines on the actual mount itself so not sure ill get it in dep enough to grip

daern
    Free Member

Have you got an isis bb tool?

Nope, sadly not. Most of mine are now either PF or Shimano and I try to avoid too much variation!

Where in the country are you? Might find someone locally on here who has the proper tool…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Yeh it’s no biggy I’ll find one the lbs will have one I’m sure, just wondered if there was an alternative tool out there but seemingly shimano have provided each crank set with one, so must be specific to this system I’m guessing

daern
    Free Member

It does appear, at least, to be the same size as the XTR BB, so there is some commonality there, but looking at the thinness of the lock ring, I reckon it’ll be a bugger to get off without the proper tool that came in the box. I was surprised to see it there as I just assumed it would be the same size as a centrelock before it turned up, but I guess that’s why the tool is included.

At least I know to keep safe hold of it now! Good luck getting sorted.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yeh the plastic adaptor combined with a standard ht2 tool, im not sure will get enough purchase on it, especially with it being plastic too, ill have a look at that tonight, but also the chainring inside sticks out, so it gives you even less space to get the ht2 tool on with the adaptor

ill just end up getting the tool but i know my lbs will have one use in the meantime, why on earth to they make things so complicated!

but yeh think your right the tool comes with it for a reason, never mind appreciate your help and replies, nice one!

joebristol

I don’t know why manufacturers have to do this sort of nonsense. I had similar with my Cannondale Si cranks – you need a proprietary tool to remove the crank, then another different one to remove the chainrings ffs.

At least my Sram direct mount ones on the MTBs just have 3 nice simple bolts to undo 😃

daern
    Free Member

At least my Sram direct mount ones on the MTBs just have 3 nice simple bolts to undo

Easy to access too, while you’re changing the GXP BB for the fourth time in less than a year… 😉

TBH, Shimano aren’t so bad. Hollowtech is pretty good for only needing an allen key and plastic knurled knob thing to remove the cranks, which is much better than other manufacturers. I’d have probably preferred to not have a lockring for the chainring, but it’s not something I touch very often, so not the end of the world and they do at least supply the tool with the cranks.

My son’s road bikes are constantly having chainrings swapped due to gear restrictions on youth racing, so his are regular BCD110 5-arm rings, which can be removed in seconds using an allen key, with the crankarm in place. Absolutely essential for him!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘12spd Shimano direct mount chainring removal????’ is closed to new replies.