Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 1.2 Puretech Engines any real world experiance – any high milers ?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

the time has come for the mighty berlingo to go to the car grave yard in the sky.

feeling slightly responsible and that now we have the big van most of the journeys the wifes car does is into the city on the days she doesnt cycl id like a petrol – *electric WONT work so dont suggest it*

This comes at a price in that there are very limited numbers of used that are not wheelchair converted.

So i asked about a NEW 1.6 petrol vti active priced at a keen price…. On enquiry about that ive been offered the 1.2 Puretech at pretty much the same price despite the book price….

I am wary of highly strung turbos and 3 cylinder engines. the many reports of high oil consumption in fords 1.0 eco tech as they get leggier are not doing any favours.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

watching this with interest as i have the same question…

trail_rat
    Free Member

im guessing no one does …. i assume thats because they dont do them in audi or Beemers 😀

been reading more – not convinced , think ill stick with the tried and tested 1600 and just take the hit on the tax…. puretechs 30 quid a year tax the 1600 is 140…. but at least i know if the 1600 shits the bed in the next 10 years its not going to cost an arm and leg to fix …. 1600 engined pugs are common.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

well they’ve stuck a 130bhp version in that new pug 3008 and it’s garnering rave reviews, but obviously unlikely to be many high mileage units around yet to give us any good info.

stumpy01

Can’t comment on the smaller engines, but we’ve got the 1600 vti in our Shitroen C3 Picasso.

It’s OK, but gets thrashy when revved and you do need to rev it to get things moving.
    The slabby front of the car means at motorway speeds it is pretty unresponsive, but that is to be expected

It uses a lot of oil and we probably only average around 36-38mpg.

It also kangaroos a bit when the weather is cold for the first few hundred yards.
    It’s only just had a service, which didn’t cure it so I need to drop it in and ask about that.

Regarding servicing….it’s 20k service intervals.

WRT the oil and kangarooing my Wife had a 308 a few years back with the same engine and that had both of those ‘features’ too.
    It felt better in the 308 though; I guess it was perhaps a bit lighter (not sure) and not so draggy at speed.

rickmeister

Not the same engine but a 3 cyl 1.4 diesel in our A2 has just done almost 3k kilometers over three driving days Germany to UK and back. Its showing 201,000 km on the clock so not all small engines self destruct.

trail_rat
    Free Member

its also a diesel – i have no issue with small diesels.

me1tdown
    Free Member

Also curious about this as i’m car hunting at the moment too and have seen quite a few (used) 1.2L vehicles with insanely good MPG/CO2 figures.

Tinners

A close relative has a 3 cylinder VW Polo bluemotion (they’re all badged Bluemotion apparently, but this one is the full Monty bluemotion model with all the eco stuff on it). It’s about 900 ccs or thereabouts. Very very impressive indeed. Thinking of getting one myself. I’ve driven it and been a passenger in it and been semi looking into getting one. 100bhp, no lack of power. Silent engine noise on motorway and cruising. Has done an average 70mpg on one motorway trip (albeit at 60 all the way), but usual is 50s to 60mpg. Doesn’t use oil, a year old and done 10,000 plus miles. No faults so far. Very very impressive motor. There’s a new Polo imminent and looks like they’re selling off old stock now rather than taking new orders. I don’t know if there’s a replacement for that model or if keeping same engine. I’m tempted. Only thing putting me off is that a new old model will depreciate like a brick. I’ve genuinely not been in such a silent engine noise car of this size on the motorway before. It does have an individual offbeat noise when revved hard on A roads though (is only silent at steady cruise). Hers is warrantied to 5 yrs (she paid extra for that but wasn’t much apparently). It’ll probably move on to someone else by then. Zero car tax too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘1.2 Puretech Engines any real world experiance – any high milers ?’ is closed to new replies.