Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 10 Under the Ben virgin – advice please
  • bex
    Free Member

My amazing – and utterly bonkers – partner has chosen to celebrate her 50th birthday by entering 10 Under the Ben. There’s not a great deal of information on the website so can anyone tell us if a) there are age categories, b) if there are feedstations and c) are there any of the typical finisher’s t-shirts or medals?
    Sorry if this sounds a bit princess and needy but she’s starting to get the jitters and I don’t want her to have a reason/ excuse to pull out.
    (And before anyone asks, I’ve got a trail marathon to run the following week so can provide trackside support and manic encouragement only)

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Years since I’ve done it but I don’t think there’ll be feed stations as it’s a fairly short lap. If she’s doing it solo then she’ll be allowed to have her stuff near the transition zone so she’s doesn’t have go far for food and drink. I didn’t get a medal for finishing, just the sweet relief of not having to go out and do battle with the midgies again. Any t-shirts were bought.

fasthaggis

Go steady,go long,enjoy..

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Take every midgie repellent known to man.

fisha
    Free Member

As someone who has only done it once, my best suggestion is that if you are just doing it for fun then to take a break after every lap. Even just a stop and chat, little nibble to eat etc. bursting the first few laps in one stint just makes the later ones harder going and less enjoyable.

footflaps

You can normally buy T shirts there, think you might get a branded Buff as part of the entry pack (we did years ago). There are medals for loads of categories, between the wife and I, we must have 6 or 7 No Fuss Event awards for various team categories – they’re not very hard to win 😉

The lap is quite short, so no need for food (or even a water bottle). Take a variety of clothing and lots of it as the weather can be anything from snow (last time we did it) to sunshine, so you’ll need sun cream and down jackets.

Also, there is normally a water splash, so if you’ll get wet each lap, hence several sets of dry shorts / socks are a good idea.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve done it the last two years. No T-shirt or anything, but I think there was free red bull or something last year? No feed stations, but they’re not necessary. It’s good fun and plenty of people just having fun. I think it will automatically put you in the correct age category when you enter online.

footflaps

No T-shirt or anything,

Shame, they were actually quite well made for an event T-shirt, wife still has a few….

thegreatape
    Free Member

Between me and her we’ve probably done about a dozen No Fuss events, never had a t shirt from any of them. Got a couple of the coasters medals, that’s all (her, not me).

footflaps

Think you had to buy the T shirts. We’ve got loads of No Fuss Events buffs which came with the entry pack.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yes, they were selling them right enough

fifeandy
    Free Member

There was T-shirt available to buy last year, but dont think it was event specific. Free high5 drinks bottle last year.

Rather disagree with those saying the lap is short, i was lapping around top 1/3rd of the solo field with an average lap time around 80mins. No feed station required, but definitely going to need a bottle.

Get a midget net if you are planning to stay and watch the presentations. Bring warm clothing, it might be the end of June, but no guarantee of double digit temperature.

Northwind

fifeandy – Member

Get a midget net

Aye, Leanachan has famously huge midgets.

bex
    Free Member

Cheers all, every scrap of advice gratefully received. Except about the budgies;
    New thread proposal – THEY* (insert Govt, MI5, CIA etc) have the ability to rid the North of Britain of this pestilence. So why don’t they?

footflaps

Because THEY live South of the border….

Northwind

Food chains innit. The bats eat the midges and the haggi eat the bats.

trail_rat
    Free Member

No need for a bottle ? Try harder.

If soloing carry food.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘10 Under the Ben virgin – advice please’ is closed to new replies.