• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by irc.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 1 x chain alignment
  • charliemort

Using a double (xt) crank as 1 x 11. Is the outer chainring spaced / aligned the same way a dedicated single chainring crank would be?

Thanks

dirtydog
    Free Member

No, its further outboard on the double.

scotroutes

The XT M8000 “single” crank is just a double supplied with one (or no) chainring.

wzzzz
    Free Member

You should technically space the ring in a bit. lots of people don’t.

This explains it
    http://int.oneupcomponents.com/pages/understanding-chainline-for-optimal-1x-conversions-boost-and-non-boost

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Having recently gone 1×8, I was a bit surprised to see that 6th gear gives a chain line that is roughly parrelel with the chain stay using a 34T Ringmaster.

bigwill
    Free Member

if your 2x crank was correctly aligned then the center line will run down the middle of the two rings, moving to a 1x outer ring will move your chain line 2.5mm to the right. so for correct chain alignment you should move your crank 2.5mm to the left or bolt your ring on the inside of the outer ring arms, as this will move it in as well.

However 2.5mm out is naff all and I wouldn’t worry about it, it will still work just as well, left in the outer postion.

scotroutes

You may also be able to move the BB spacer to the non-drive side to help “correct” it.

irc

Surely best chainline depends on which gears you use most. Lots of time grinding uphill on lowest gears then chain centred on middle ring or 2.5mm to the left.

So ideally the ring centered. But I wouldn’t run it 2.5mm to the right if I used the lowest gears more than the highest gears.

But 2.5mm isn’t much. After all those bikes with rear dropouts at 132.5mm that can run either road or MTB hubs – the chainline depends on which hub is fitted.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘1 x chain alignment’ is closed to new replies.