Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 1 x 9 for 'Jack of All' Bike?
  • birdage

Seeking views especially from Singular Peregrine owners.

I mostly ride singlespeed but on the Peregrine which goes from mud to touring it’s set up 9-speed triple.

I really can’t stand front mechs so do you think I’d be ok with a 1 x 9 set-up utilising a wide ratio on the back and a N-Gear stop and bashring on the front?

Thinking more about fully-loaded touring though I’m pretty sure I’ve never used the granny ring.

Anyone been through this? Thanks.

chiefgrooveguru

Leave the Peregrine in the middle ring for the next few months and see how you get on? That’s what I did before going from 2×9 to 1×9.

Northwind

I don’t really know touring, but for general road use you can get pretty much the same ratios out of a big mtb cassette as you do from a 2×10 with a narrow road cassette- but the gaps can feel really big, that’s not something that bothers me on an mtb but it did on the roadie.

birdage

Thanks. Had it in middle ring for a few weeks now and it’s all been fine but think I’ll load up some panniers and see how some hilly miles feel.

UnderTheWood
    Free Member

I think you’ll be fine!
    I’ve got a Salsa Vaya built up 1×9. Running 36 on the front with an 11-34 cassette which works well for me.
    I toured (with camping gear) the Outer Hebrides a couple of years ago on a 1×9 (38T 11-28) and that was ok.
    I just like the simplicity of it. In fact, what passes as my road bike is also 1×9, 42T 11-28.

birdage

Great, that’s swung it. Mech’s coming off now!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘1 x 9 for 'Jack of All' Bike?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM