Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • 1/2 million giant redwoods growing in the UK Vs 80k growing in California. 🌲
  • Poopscoop

I did not know that.

Being reported in all the usual places today. Thriving up in Scotland for instance but struggling with the increasing heat in California.

I still prefer our indigenous trees (yew, im looking at you!) but they are still wonderful things by any measure.

They can live to around 3,000 years so our ones of around 170 years old are mere babies.

fossy

Loads in UK on imported seeds in NT sites. Bodnant is one 

matt_outandabout

Nature adapts to changing climate shocker.

rootes1

If you are ever round Surrey Porridge mtb area, then check the Redwoods here

From https://maps.app.goo.gl/EphnC2zummJNWNj9A?g_st=ic

To

https://maps.app.goo.gl/54SXVRHNjuDbxvSWA?g_st=ic

Plus all those in Brookwood Cemetery.

lovely!

Poopscoop

“matt_outandabout
    Nature adapts to changing climate shocker.”

In fairness it’s as much about the opposite. They are struggling in their native climate so like other flora and fauna they might have to gain footholds in other areas or even continents. That’s obviously much more difficult for trees and such to achieve without the potential need for human intervention.

somafunk

I love a redwood/sequoia, dunno why but I think of them as big friendly giants. A mate has a few in the grounds of his house and up his woods, the thickness of their bark is amazing, soft/spongy at certain times of the year as they hold a lot of water. I used to collect the fallen branches and place bits on the radiators in the house for the aroma it gave off.

Northwind

Largely thanks to the rich person’s conifer craze in the 1800s- I love that quite often, the actual estate and mansion is completely gone, the family’s died out but the trees remain. Imagine going to Bob the gardener with a sapling or seed and saying, plant it carefully, it could live for centuries and grow to be the biggest tree in the country. Always love finding them

My old work was built on the site of an abandoned stately home, I had one of the oldest giant redwoods in europe right outside my window. Just a tiddler though really! Managed to get some saplings to grow from its cones, but never had any survive past a couple of inches.

CountZero

One thing to note – none of those in the U.K. will shed seeds that’ll germinate and grow. They require special circumstances in order to do that, specifically wildfires, which open the cones, clear the undergrowth and prepare the ground for the seeds to germinate. It’s possible they might adapt, but those 1/2 million were all grown from American seedlings brought over here.
    Still, we’ve still got 400,000 more than their homelands have.

walleater

Northwind, that’s the case with the ‘Wellingtonia’ that is in the field behind my parents house. The remains of the ‘castle’ walls and a few buildings remain but the main house was knocked down donkeys years ago. 

For some reason I think you are in Shrewsbury? Sundorne ‘Castle’ is the place. Not that it was ever a castle. Just some rich doods decided to build themselves a fake one. 

Rootes1 may have seen it around 30 years ago 😀 

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Interesting.

I’m living in Ca at the moment and fortunate to ride thru the redwoods almost every week, either road or mtb.

They are majestic trees

thols2

It makes sense when you think about it. California is just one part of a country whereas the UK is a entire country. It’s natural that a whole country would have more trees than a part of a country.

pisco

Except all the giant sequoia are limited to the Sierra Nevada mountains in California

the00
    Free Member

And California is way bigger than the UK. Wikipedia states land area that works out as 166% of that of UK

sharkbait
    Free Member

“It’s natural that a whole country would have more trees than a part of a country.”

I know it’s early but that’s a fairly daft statement!

Did it not partly friend in the size of the countries?
    😉

DickBarton

Yeah, the massive number of wildfires in California haven’t help either…

DT78
    Free Member

i discovered this fact when in california on a trip to yosemite. i was quite surprised when the guide asked if anyone else knows the only other place in the world giant redwoods grow. turns out its on one of mynfavourite routes i did weekly. boulderwoood ornamental drive in the new forest. has 2 giant redwoods and loads of coastal.

guide also said they have very shallow root systems and they stay upright by meshing together with the other redwoods. so if thats true and the ones in this country arent planted close together then they may not make 3000 years

and yep they need fire to germinate

i have a cone on my shelf in the downstairs loo. surprisingly small for such a big tree.

zippykona

As kids we would always meet by the punch tree, so called because the redwoods bark was so soft.

intheborders
    Free Member

Interesting, and loads around me – pretty much every Scottish Border ‘estate’ has a few of them and as said above all planted from seeds sent back.

redmex
    Free Member

Benmore Botanic Garden is worth a visit if you like trees , some very big ones there
    All cared for by the Edinburgh botanical garden folk and it rains there a lot so should last a few years to come

MoreCashThanDash

I know it’s early but that’s a fairly daft statement!

Did it not partly friend in the size of the countries?

I know its early but can you translate that last line? 🤔 😅

supernova

I’d be happy to see the FoD planted with trees that take 1000 years to mature so the Forestry and their ‘working forest’ bullshit could **** off for a millennium.

stingmered

We stumbled on some giant redwoods in the ‘Dales last October. Up until that I point I’d assumed they only grew in California (or thereabouts.) was amazed to find out they are quite prevalent in the Uk. Did not know they were only in the UK though.

silverneedle
    Free Member

A good book about climbing them and ecology. ” The Wild Trees: A Story of Passion and Daring”

somafunk

Loads in UK on imported seeds in NT sites.

Largely thanks to the rich person’s conifer craze in the 1800s

Bloody immigrant trees, coming over here with their la-de-da towering stature, stunting the growth of our English oaks.

(someone had to say it)

scruff
    Free Member

Some on the edge of Cannock Chase in Shugborough. They are great, better than the Groot tree.

RustyNissanPrairie

Speaking of trees – I planted this one on today’s doggo morning walk. It was rescued from a Christmas table decoration.

MrSparkle

Is that the dog in the act of ‘christening’ it?

finbar
    Free Member

Is that one I can see from my bedroom? I might go and punch it to find out 😀 😀

alpin
    Free Member

was amazed to find out they are quite prevalent in the Uk. Did not know they were only in the UK though.

They’re not only in the UK.

Was in a forest in France last year and there were lots of them. Somewhere around the Loire/Tours.

Have seen some in Germany and Italy, too.

Despite the trees growing, they’re not going to germinate new trees here in Europe. They’re just ornaments.

Poopscoop

^^ Yep, the expert on the news yesterday said they became a bit of a status symbol and were sought by individuals and governments from a fair few countries in the 1800’s.

ernielynch

I love a redwood/sequoia, dunno why but I think of them as big friendly giants.

It’s all the Qi grasshopper.

rootes1

posted location above – I quite often ride through them – planted in 1865 apparently:

https://www.redwoodworld.co.uk/picturepages/camberley.htm

One of the few highlights of Camberley!

redwood4

fasgadh
    Free Member

It has been a pleasure to watch them emerge above the canopy in Dinmore Woods, Herefordshire.

ossify

Never knew there where any in the UK, let alone so many!

Want to see one now. Where’s the nearest to Salford?

dafoj
    Free Member

There are a few lovely ones near me in Monmouthshire

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I fancy planting one in the garden! I’ll never see it grow – but hopefully someone will 🤷‍♂️

kimbers

A few at Woburn

i love seeing themPXL_20230525_191046957.MPPXL_20230525_190745426.MP2017-11-14_06-21-08

DT78
    Free Member

that website is great, turns out there is one on my lunch time run I’ve not spotted before, I shall go looking for it!

I believe there are a couple in lordswood southampton too, I presume the smaller coastal version

Are there other trees that have the soft balsa wood like feel to the bark that you can mix up with a redwood?

ready

There’s a couple of them in Brandon Country Park, near Thetford – magnificent trees!

We just had to give it a hug.. 😊

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.