From confirmation that we live in a Vali Holl Era through to the ding-dong duelling in the Elite Men’s – not to mention the Juniors’ race times being insanely close to the Elites – this season of premium gravity racing was fantastic.
World Cup DH Overall results
Congratulations to Valentina Roa Sanchez (Colombia’s first ever Overall winner?), Ryan Pinkerton, Vali Holl, Loic Bruni and the Santa Cruz Syndicate (who lost the war but won the battle for Best Team).
Ten talking points about the 2023 season on World Cup DH
- The post-Red Bull era coverage was not to total bin-fire that some predicted. The actual amount of coverage – both of the course and the racing runs – was much better than previous years.
- Regardless of the broadcasting hoo-ha, the racers put on the best spectacle of downhill racing for quite some time (very probably ever). So a big thank you to them! Enjoy your off-season.
- The racers and the organisers are seemingly not getting along and this is not a good thing.
- The Semi-Finals didn’t really work, for either the racers or the viewers.
- The best race run of the season? The last run of the whole season. Jackson Goldstone’s Mont-Sainte-Anne winning run will go down as one of the best ‘DH Clinics’ of all time.
- The wildest run of the season? Ethan Craik’s Mont-Sainte-Anne jaw-dropper.
- The Elite Men’s racing is closer than ever before (there’s about a dozen racers who could win at any one time).
- The Elite Women’s is feeling like the beginning of a Record Breaking era for Vali Holl. No one else wins in Elite Women, it’s only ever Holl losing.
- Being able to watch the Junior racing (for free as well) was a very good thing.
- Aaron Gwin. Single handedly saved the broadcaster’s season. His injury ‘loss’ was very much the audience’s gain.
How was it for you?
Whether you stumped up some dollar to watch the racing on GCN+/Eurosport etc, or you had to make do with the free stuff on YouTube, how did you feel about this year’s World Cup DH racing? Comment below 👇
Join our mailing list to receive Singletrack editorial wisdom directly in your inbox.
Each newsletter is headed up by an exclusive editorial from our team and includes stories and news you don’t want to miss.