Cotic has done it again! Yup, a last minute email about another bike launch, but we forgive them because this is the bike many of us have been waiting for, the updated Cotic RocketMAX!
The Rocket MAX sits just above the Cotic FlareMAX James reviewed a few weeks back. It shares a similar steel front triangle design mated to an alloy rear, but more travel for aggressive riding and enduro racing. Cotic’s droplink suspension with 150mm of travel keeps the rear end in check, while the geometry of this EWS slayer has been tuned to handle a 160mm travel fork for ultimate trail taming.
MAX in the RocketMAX name refers to the bike’s versatility to run either 29 x 2.5in wheels or chubby 27.5 x 3.oin tyres if that’s your jam.
Following on from the Ti Soda, SolarisMAX and FlareMAX, the new RocketMAX also enjoys an updated geometry based around Cotic’s own Longshot formula. This basically means the bike has a ton of standover and maximum reach. We’ve included the Cotic RocketMAX geometry table above, but to give you an idea of the numbers, a size L frame with 160mm fork has a reach of 490mm, with a 63.5° head angle and 75.3° seat tube angle.
If news of the RocketMAX wasn’t enough, Cotic has also announced that they have brought the manufacture of the steel front triangle of the bike to the UK. Cotic has teamed up with Five Land Bikes in Scotland to fabricate the front triangle, while Superstar Components machine some of the frame components here in the UK too. The alloy rear end of the RocketMAX is still manufactured in Taiwan.
The bike is available in subtle grey Metal-on-Metal and gorgeous Teal and Tangerine. Frameset pricing starts at £1749 with a custom tuned X Fusion O2 RCX shock, or £1999 with a Cane Creek DB Air IL. There is also a DB Coil IL option.
Bikes start are £2999 for the SLX based Silver build, through to the best selling Gold XT and Gold Eagle builds with Cane Creek HELM forks and Hope bits for £4049. A Platinum build with eeWings ti cranks will set you back £5648. HUNT wheels are now available alongside Hope wheels across the range too.
Cotic RocketMAX Frame Features:
- Longshot geometry designed around a 35mm stem.
- Reynolds 853 Ovalform and DZB tubed front end brings precision, beautiful ride feel, durability and strength
- 44mm standard head tube designed with an external bottom cup for taper steerer compatibility and zero stack top cup for minimal stack height
- Custom Cotic designed 35mm Reynolds 853 seat tube for super stiff support for the main suspension pivots
- 31.6mm seat post size is dropper seatpost compatible. Internal ‘Stealth’ dropper post remote routing
- ISCG05 mounts on regular threaded bottom bracket bring drivetrain security and reliability
- Rear mech cable routed internally through the steel seat stay
- Dedicated 1x drivetrain design with included Top Guide
- 6066-T6 aluminium swingarm with Syntace X-12 BOOST148 x 12 rear axle for maximum wheel stiffness on larger wheels.
- 15mm pivots for BB and droplink thru axle style linkage clamp keep the frame solid front to rear
- 1 bottle mount
- Compatible with 29 x 2.5″ or 27.5 x 3.0″ PLUS tyres
- Optimised around 160mm forks.
- 150mm of Cotic droplink suspension.
- Sizes – New Small (390mm), Medium (425mm), Large (460mm) or XL (495mm)
Here’s what the Cotic website has to say about the (partially) UK made Cotic RocketMAX:
“The fastest bike in our fleet. The new Longshot geometry RocketMAX turns the speed up to 11. It’s all about the rockiest descents and the steepest technical trails. It’s confident and blisteringly quick. This long travel big wheeler is ready for anything.
Decked out with 150mm of rear travel on our proven droplink suspension platform, and designed around the latest 160mm 29er forks, the latest evolution of our best selling enduro bike now benefits from the sure footed yet accurate handling of our Longshot geometry. It’s capable of carrying speed through lines you’ve battled to get through before, and will do so with composure and ease, leaving a big grin on your face. You like steep and techincal? There is pretty much nothing you can’t ride down on a RocketMAX. The incredible stability of the long front centre, coupled with the pinpoint precision of the short stem brings you swaggering confidence regardless of the gradient.
As with all Cotic bikes, the frame’s steel construction is compliant and naturally ground moulding. The RocketMAX uses Reynolds 853 super strong steel, and includes our custom ride tuned Ovalform top tube which helps to deliver sublime trail damping and that signature Cotic feel.
It’s not all about racing down the hills though; this bike climbs too. More rubber on the ground and bags of support from our progressive droplink suspension help the RocketMAX skip up the most demanding climbs. We design and develop all our bikes in the Peak District, and our team race everywhere from local British races to Enduro World Series, so we know a thing or two about tough, technical climbs and long days in the saddle!
RocketMAX is wild and fast and just so much fun. It’s almost like cheating!”
Now that the Cotic RocketMAX has launched who’s buying one? Let us know what you think of this partially made UK bike in the comments section below.
If you like what we do - if you like our independence then the best way to support us is by joining us. Every penny of your membership goes back into Singletrack to pay the bills and the wages of the people who work here. No shareholders to pay, just the people who create the content you love to read and watch.