Last year, German direct-to-consumer brand, YT Industries, launched its all-new Jeffsy trail bike. Slotting in underneath the Capra enduro bike, the Jeffsy debuted as a 140mm travel trail bike equipped with 29in wheels and geometry geared towards all-day trail riding shenanigans. About twelve months later, YT then introduced a 27.5in version – kind of the reverse of many other bike brands roll out different wheelsize versions of the same bike.
Anywho, it’s been a while since we’ve seen anything YT related, so as part of the ‘Alloy Iterations’ group test in Issue 115 of Singletrack Magazine, we decided to get one of the new Jeffsy’s in to see what it’s all about.
“JEFFSY is ready to be your new bro and wingman. You’re going to be the new dream team. Whether on your home trails or crossing high mountains, JEFFSY scales the toughest peaks with unbelievable drive and traction, and inspires you to unexpected performances. JEFFSY lets you discover the most remote locations, climb the highest peaks, and keep it pinned on the way back down. Because JEFFSY is the YT of All Mountain bikes, it won’t hold you back even in the roughest terrain. Thanks to its gravity oriented geometry JEFFSY remains agile and playful, even with the 29” wheels. And to meet our high design standards we gave JEFFSY super compact proportions – you two are going to get a lot of looks!” – YT Industries.
YT Jeffsy AL 29 Features
- Full suspension trail bike
- 29in wheels (also available in a 27.5in version)
- Air-formed alloy frame tubing
- V4L suspension design
- 140mm rear travel
- 140mm fork travel
- 67-67.5° head angle
- 74.5-74° seat tube angle
- Chainstay length: 435mm (Small & Medium sizes), 440mm (Large & X-Large)
- PF92 theadless bottom bracket shell
- 148x12mm rear thru-axle
- Available sizes: Small, Medium, Large, & X-Large
The YT Jeffsy is available in both carbon and alloy versions. The one we’ve got here features an alloy frame, and it’s the top-spec option in the range. It’s decked out with a SRAM X1 drivetrain, Guide RS brakes and a DT Swiss wheelset wrapped with 2.4in wide Onza Ibex tyres.
Suspension is provided by RockShox, with a Monarch RT on the back and a Pike RC on the front. Travel sits at 140mm front and rear, and geometry aims to achieve that magic ‘do-it-all’ balancing act that trail bikes are expected to do these days.
Going head-to-head with the Norco Sight and Santa Cruz Tallboy, the YT Jeffsy AL One 29 is the third bike in our ‘Alloy Iterations’ bike test as featured in the new issue of Singletrack Magazine. The idea behind the test? To find out if the alloy versions of popular carbon fibre mountain bikes are any lesser because they’re made of metal.
For us though, this would also be an ideal opportunity to test out the new Jeffsy platform. The YT Capra is an enduro bike that we see regularly out on the trails all over the UK, so we’ve been eager to see if perhaps this shorter travel trail bike might be the more versatile choice for more British mountain bikers.
Want to read the full results of the YT Jeffsy review and how it compared to Norco and Santa Cruz’ offerings? Then pre-order your copy of Issue 115 of Singletrack Magazine right here, right now!
YT Industries Jeffsy AL One 29 Specifications
- Frame // Air-formed Alloy Tubing, 140mm Travel
- Fork // RockShox Pike RC, 140mm Travel
- Shock // RockShox Monarch RT
- Hubs // DT Swiss Spline M1900, 100x15mm Front & 148x12mm Rear
- Rims // DT Swiss Spline M1900, Tubeless Compatible, 22.5mm Internal Rim Width
- Tyres // Onza Ibex FRC 55a 2.4in Front & Rear
- Chainset // Race Face Turbine, 32T Direct Mount Narrow-Wide Chainring
- Front Mech // N/A
- Rear Mech // SRAM X1 11-Speed
- Shifters // SRAM X1 11-Speed
- Cassette // SRAM XG-1150 11-Speed, 10-42t
- Brakes // SRAM Guide RS, 200mm Front & 180mm Rear Rotors
- Stem // Race Face Turbine 35mm, 50mm Long (Small & Medium) 60mm Long (Large & X-Large)
- Bars // Race Face Turbine 35mm, 770mm Wide
- Grips // The Sensus Lite
- Seatpost // e*thirteen TRS, 125mm Travel (Small & Medium), 150mm (Large & X-Large)
- Saddle // SDG Fly MTN
- Size Tested // X-Large
- Sizes available // Small, Medium, Large, X-Large
- Weight // 13.9kg / 30.7lbs
- RRP // £2199 (plus £50.90 shipping & £16.90 for box)