Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Yt wicked 160 vs Canyon strive al 7.0
  • tom13
    Free Member

Hi guys,

A friend of mine is looking at getting one of the two models above. They are both very similar bikes, so do any of you have any experience with either of these two?

Being so similar I know the reverb on the Canyon is a big selling point, but which is the better linkage and frame of the two?

Which company has the best aftercare and customer care?

Cheers
    Tom

DeeW
    Free Member

I went back and forth between these two for a while. In the end went for the Canyon (and got a good deal on last years Strive 9.0SL through their outlet). If the Wicked 160 Ltd would not have had such a long waiting list I may well have gone for that.

My thoughts:

Canyon pluses:
    more established brand
    better warranty
    frames look better thought out and finished (couldn’t help thinking the YT was just a cheap copy of a LaPierre)
    better paint
    have a ‘UK service centre’

YT pluses:
    better value (their BOS bikes are incredible VFM)
    frame design ‘influenced’ by one of the most successful AM bikes of the moment

Sizing also seemed to fit me better in the Canyon. Hard to get a good idea without sitting on one in the flesh, but through my trawling of numbers and pictures I decided the Medium YT was too long for me (and the Short too short). I went for a Medium Strive even though the online fit thing told me Small.

Also at the time I bought mine there weren’t any decent English reviews of the YT: seen a fair few recently which have all been very positive.

I’m very happy with my Canyon. Can’t say I’ve fallen in love with it, but that’s probably more about me and my riding at the moment than the bike.

Dave

tom13
    Free Member

Thanks deew how how long was the wait for yourself?

DeeW
    Free Member

Just edited my post above (gave up from my phone and switched to the laptop!)

My Canyon took about a week to come (but was ‘in stock’). I had actually ordered a YT which I then cancelled. Bewared of YT estimated delivery times if not in stock and back ordered: I think I would have been waiting at least 3 months for ‘my bike’. Sure this won’t be an issue with in stock bikes or at this time of year.

b45her
    Free Member

i was in the same position recently, wicked 160 ltd or strive al 8.0.
    went for the strive in the end due to the number of horror stories about wait times for the YT bikes, seen some reports of people waiting 3-4 months after stated delivery date!
    the BOS suspension turned me off a little too due to the fact there is no UK importer at the moment.
    i’m don’t regret my decision at all, it arrived exactly when canyon said it would and is a very good bike, the linkage works very well i leave it in trail mode for most climbs i only use “climb” for extended fire road drags.

harrytoo
    Free Member

Tom,

Apologies for the cross post, have you seen my e-mails regarding the Cannondale?

Keen to sort somethign out.

Cheers,

jakebeach

If he is put off the YT by postage times, my wicked 150 took 7 days from YT receiving the payment to it being with me when I got it a couple of months ago.

b45her
    Free Member

i think the problems tend to occur when bikes are not in stock.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Does anyone know why YT dont accept credit card? I really find it very weird otherwise would have gone for it in a heartbeat ive been eyeing the YT wicked 160Ltd.. Went for nukeproof mega instead.. Happy as larry 😉

ScottChegg
    Free Member

YT Wicked LTD hasn’t been in stock for a bit now. No point eyeing up soemthing that you can’t get.

appy
    Free Member

I had the exact same dilema and went for a Nukeproof Mega for the lbs support if things went wrong.

elltell
    Free Member

Stuck over the 2 for months.

Went YT Ltd.

10 days delivery

Good cust service, excellent in fact.

Picked up in December.

Only a matter of time before BOS is well supported in the UK but they are robust enough not to need it. Learn to maintain it yourself.

Rides unbelievable

Credit Cards mean extra charges

Both the Strive and Wicked are both fantastic bikes.

Strive has has crank bros wheels, they seem to get poor reviews. This wouldnt have stopped me though.

Chose the YT as they took split payments (RTW fiddle)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Yt wicked 160 vs Canyon strive al 7.0’ is closed to new replies.