Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • YETI Big Top 29er – any specs or opinions?
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

Anyone got one? Anyone know the weight? Rigid or sus fork? Talk to me!

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Just built one for a friend, its a really, really nice bike. He will likely be along soon to give you an opinion as I have only had a car park test run 😀

deserter
    Free Member

I fancied one till I found it was a pound heavier than an arc???????I don’t know why
    {I should explain I want to build a hardtail as light as poss without going crazy so would already be a pound up}

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I’m desperate for one, but just can’t justify another bike in the garage, and couldn’t bare to get rid of any of the current ones 🙁
    1×10, enve wheels, niner forks… Oh yes… 🙄

Stoner
    Free Member

I love 29ers, own a few, lust after a few more, but have never been attracted to Yetis and even less so to the Big Top. Dont know why but, to me, it looks so bland and un-appealing.

druidh
    Free Member

I had a ride on a demonstrator. The ride was short and not gnarly enough but I really enjoyed it, despite it probably being one size too big for me. At 5’7″, I’d sort of assumed that 29ers weren’t my thing, but this was enough to change my mind.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I’ve always liked Yetis, had a 575 for 4 years, now have a Mega but want some turquoise in my life!
    I don’t like the 2011 colours though, I’d prefer black with a hint of turquoise.

dingabell
    Free Member

This months What Mountainbike Mag has a one page review. They reckon the frame weighs 4.4lbs. They also give it a four and a half out of five star rating and make it sound like the best thing since sliced bread. Gotta say, for a 29er they do look quite cool.

rOcKeTdOg

swung a leg over one for a short ride, liked it a lot

catsplums
    Free Member

that and a niner are the nicest looking 29ers around in my opinion, and the review as mentioned above couldn’t praise it enough – I would definitely try one if I had the money but I am a yeti fan and ex arc owner so maybe the colour is now in my blood 🙂

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Hi,

That is my new toy in the above picture (thanks for the build BigDugsBaws) which had its first ride on Saturday.

Thoughts are purely on a 3 hour first ride with the limiting factor very much the rider.

It has replaced an Evil Sovereign running a Rohloff hub so not really a like for like comparison but it is all i have to compare it to. I went for the BigTop because it would build about 10lb lighter, the bigger wheels appealed, I thought it would suit the sort of riding i am doing these days, the Cotic Solaris is 10 months (ish) away still and ultimately i liked the look of it.

In terms of handling, even though it was the first ride and i still need to make seating and stem adjustments, initial impressions are very good. As you would expect it felt a fair bit different.

Climbing – miles better than Evil but then it should be.

Acceleration – odd it felt slower but i am not sure it was , certainly once rolling the increased speed was noticable.

Handling – As I said i have a few adjustments to make to the riding position but…I could not get my head around how much grip the bigger wheels had, corners where the Evil had been sliding wide the Yeti jsut gripped (both run Nobby Nics 2.4 on the Evil 2.25 on Yeti). Only very occasionaly in slower corners did i notice the big wheels not turn as quick but then with confidence and familiarity i prob could have taken the corners faster.

Rocks and roots – as you would expect the big wheels rolled over obstructions better. Perhaps due to the lighter weight and “new bike” factor i found myself picking my way round the bigger rocks rather than battering straight through as i would on the Evil.

Overall – loved it first time out, delighted with the build and look forward to getting it setup as i want and really finding how much grip the big wheels have.

Build as Follows

Large Yeti Big Top
    Reba RL 120mm Taper maxel
    XT Group
    XTR Race brakes
    Element flat bar (730mm ish)
    Hope stem
    Stans Arch on Pro2s
    Nobby Nic 2.25s
    On-One/FSA headset combo
    Thomson Seatpost.

Cheers
    Iain

catsplums
    Free Member

lovely bike sir 🙂

corroded
    Free Member

Is the reason the wheels have more grip simply a larger contact area?

Stoner
    Free Member

No

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/bicycle-tires-puncturing-the-myths-29245/

In addition, Wheel Energy’s analyses of tire contact patch have confirmed that 29in tires don’t have a bigger footprint than otherwise identical 26in ones. While the total area is the same, the shape of the patch is longer and narrower on 29ers, though.

clubber
    Free Member

corroded – Member

Same size, different shape – longer and thinner which some think gives more grip (assuming the same tyre pressure)

As for the Yeti, they look lovely IMO.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

So does a long thin contact patch result in more cornering grip than a short fat one or does it just feel different and a better rider would corner at roughly the same speed on either?

Not that it really matters, even if the extra grip is all in my head i think it is going to fun.

clubber
    Free Member

Supposedly so and I do find that my 29er does seem to provide grip in situations that I don’t expect it to but more in straight line(ish) braking than going round corners.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘YETI Big Top 29er – any specs or opinions?’ is closed to new replies.