Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Yeti 575 Carbon Triangle . – What Epoxy ? Yes, thats happened but I can fix it.
  • singletrackmind

Non drive side chain stay has moved out of its alu lug by a few mm . Noticed the wheel rubbing in frame after landing a jump a litttle squify. Had wheel trued and it was still catching, so put it up on te stand and the chain stay has moved out of its lug by 2 – 3mm only.

Tried to drift it out but the seat stay holds it fast at 5mm out . So will either have to pop both , or get it out as far as poss , sand it and epoxy , then get some epoxy inside the lug from the rear and tappy tap it back together .

Araldite is my usual go to glue , but this might require something abit better . Tempted to put a fixing through it as well as the carbon is captive in the lug

at least its not snapped. yet .

continuity
    Free Member

Yer gonna die?

pbooker1995
    Free Member

No Crash replacement or warranty? A mate of mine had 5 new swingarms within an 18 month period.

P20

I think andyl bought my old frame that had the same problem and fixed it.

singletrackmind

Yes, I am going to die .
    Its an 09 frame and I am the second owner so warrenty isnt applicable.

Looking at 3m products as we have used them at work , wheres Compositepro from here ? he makes things out of carbon

Bolt

Have recently re -bonded the threaded BB insert into my carbon frame using loctite 9466.
    Probably done 200 miles off road since and it seem to be holding up!

Bolt

Bolt

P.s The adhesive is 2 part and needed a special applicator gun.

bigjim

that’s pretty old! might be worth seeing if silverfish will help though.

my friend has an old cadex which is reverting to carbon fibre sheets but he was riding it until quite recently.

andyl
    Free Member

Still not got round to fixing it…got let down on some 150mm forks and it needs a new set of bearings and I ended up loving my cheap 29er so much I lost interest in 26″ bikes. Also didn’t have any suitable adhesive lying around until last week when I got some epoxy formulated for bonding aircraft propellers to metal hubs so was going to use that at some point soon. Can’t tell you what it’s called though as running some tests on it.

spxxky
    Free Member

JB Weld should do it

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Fixed.

singletrackmind

Update
    Well I removed the aluminium lug from the stays. The smaller seat stay was set fast ans refused to budge , so I applied the use of a blow torch to aid in its certain demise.
    A minute or so of wafting the flame around the lug and a few wisps of smoke came out the holes in the rear of the lug. Then used gentle presuaion ) club hammer ) to drift the lug off the stays.

Cleaned out all the ols glue from the lug and off the ends of the stays.Its a prettty floppy cock fit and way too much movement . Im surprised the tolerances are not tighter.

Bought loctite 9466 as we had the gun at work already , £20 deliveered from Bearingboys.

Glued it last night , used the rear wheel in the drops to square it all up and a ratchet strap around the rear wheel and seat post to pull the rear wheel bob square to the frame , some heath robinson gap measuring confirmed its within 1mm of equidisnt from all of the stays.

As per usual there was one tiny problem , one part of the adhesive was coming out the rear of the gun as I pulled the trigger to force it down the mixing helix tube . I now do not know if the hardener was also coming out the front at the same time. I guess all will be revealed later on today when I drop the strop and give the wheel a good hard tug

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Yeti 575 Carbon Triangle . – What Epoxy ? Yes, thats happened but I can fix it.’ is closed to new replies.