• This topic has 17 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by beej.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Yet another what saddle thread..
  • ezzy
    Free Member

Have tried a Charge Spoon but after four rides it’s just not for me so will have to go as I find it uncomfortable under my sit bones, not helped by the fact that I have some sort of bursitis/sciatica problem. Any other recommendations? Apologies, know that this is not exactly original..

Sawyer
    Free Member

I bought one of these, mainly because of the price, but it’s been better than I expected.

foxyrider
    Free Member

SDG Bel Air 🙂 Very Very Comfy

chojin
    Free Member

not sure, but i’ll buy your spoon off you 🙂

nickname
    Free Member

Selle SMP TRK. Ugly but comfy, and I’ve not changed it yet which is a good sign 😉

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23428

I had a Charge Spoon before this. Initially I found it real comfy, but didn’t get on with it after a weeks commuting (spose I should sell it!).

infidel
    Free Member

I like my Bel Air – it is comfortable but not as comfortable as the SDG Formula MTR I just bought (Ti railed on sale at CRC) which is brill.

Have a spoon on my commuter and really don’t like it that much..

PJay
    Free Member

Another vote for the SDG Bel Air and I’d go farther and say that the ti. railed version is noticably more comfy than the cro=mo one.

ton

i had 3 bikes all fitted with spoon’s.
    they were ace to start with, then for some reason, they began to make me sore.
    i run sdg belair on 1 bike now and a well used wtb rocket v ?
    on the other.

i wonder if spoon’s just like give/go all of a sudden?

walla24
    Free Member

bel airs here too, also if you need a bit of flex get a bel air but with an I-beam post, tis like having a (tiny) bit of rear travel 😀

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I was finding my SDG Bel air uncomfortable after Christmas but I think it’s just cos I hadn’t been riding much. It felt much better today and I’ve been wearing an extra pair of undies too. I might get something a bit slimmer though if I have any more probs.

ezzy
    Free Member

Thanks for all your advice. I’ve decided to go for the SDG Formula as recommended by infidel as it looks as if it’s a more padded version of the Bel Air which gets such good reviews, and at a good price too.
    I don’t think that it’s a case of the Spoon going suddenly as I’ve only used it on four, relatively short rides (the last one only being 9 miles). Think that it’s just a case that it doesn’t suit me. Just need to put it on the classifed section now…

carlosg
    Free Member

my bottom likes WTB ‘v’ series saddles , currently got a Vigo team carbon on my HT and a pure v on my FS.

FWIW I tried a ‘spoon’ too and didn’t get on with it.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

If, like me, a spoon is an instrument of torture then try a Specialized BG saddle. I’ve got different ones and all are good (esp a Romin and a Phenom gel).

owainga

Fisik gobi xm here.

Not all that cheap, but pretty comfy for me.

stuartddancer
    Free Member

bel air. so good. does any one recover em.

Kahurangi

Spoons have a lot of padding so will bed in and change slightly. They’re also quite wide across the middle so I find them real comfy for short rides but for more than 3 hrs they rub too much across the middle aND the BLOODY STITCHING.

I’m now on Selle Italia’s and a Spoon on the more gnar bike.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

I suffer with sciatica too. The trouble with saddles and sciatica is, you don’t find out if they’re suitable until you’ve ridden them for at least half an hour. I’ve always found the WTB Pure V comfy and stuck with them until I tried a Spoon copy by madison (the Flux) It’s been great on my main bike, it’s comfy even without padded shorts for up to 2 hour rides (but it’s still fairly new). I’ve still got Pure V’s on the other 2 bikes as I don’t get on with SDG saddles at all.
    The best saddle I’ve ever ridden was the FIZIK Plateau, they discontinued it in 2006 though.

beej

Go to a decent LBS.
    Borrow a range of test saddles.
    Repeat until you find one you like.

I tried about 5 before getting a new one for my road bike. MTB wise I’ve got a Spoon, a WTB Rocket and a standard On-One one. Road bike Prologo Scratch Nack.

I tried 3 or 4 Fiziks, 2 or 3 Specializeds until I finally got my bottom on the test Scratch.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Yet another what saddle thread..’ is closed to new replies.