Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Yet another steel 29er hardtail
  • Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Just finished building this morning. I’ve not ridden it yet, but it looks pretty.

will
    Free Member

Very nice.

wwaswas

There’s a giant condom stuck in that bush. Missus.

Can’t beat a steel hardtail for looking ‘right’.

WackoAK
    Free Member

Looks good, I take it that’s a 2012 model? (2013 has maxle backend)

Swayndo
    Free Member

Proper nice.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

*Approves*

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Looks good, I take it that’s a 2012 model? (2013 has maxle backend)

It’s the Honzo that has a maxle back-end. mine’s a Unit.

acsevens

I’ve got one of those – love it. what size frame is that?

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

22″. Off to the woods now.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

1st ride conclusions:

Despite what people will tell you about 29ers, it didn’t feel like a 26″ full-suss (not that I expected it to), and it went around corners fine. It even left the ground a couple of times. It cruised the flat very quickly and climbed surprisingly well too.

Despite wide bars being all trendy and stuff, 800mm is just silly, even when you’re my size. I feel they slowed the handling down too much and made everything feel a bit stretched. I’m gonna chop 50mm off which should improve the bike character (so I reckon). The knuckles on my left hand are also quite sore.

I had a lot of fun on it, and that’s the point, isn’t it?

Paceman
    Free Member

800mm is a very wide bar!! 750mm will be just fine and save any more knuckle bashing episodes!

I’m hoping the whole “feels like a 26er” rumour-mill has almost stopped now. 29ers aren’t a new fad anymore and they ride like a 29er whether you like it or not (this is a good thing!). Personally I think they make a great alternative to compliment a 26er in the shed.

Loving your new bike, looks like the perfect woodland singletrack slayer. I’ve also built up a Charge Cooker 29er hardtail recently and have been very pleased with it.

Enjoy!!

monkeychild
    Free Member

Looks nice that. Went on my 29er for the 1st time yesterday. I now believe the hype. It rode fast and handled like a bmx. Slow turning my arris.

rOcKeTdOg

The roots from that tree won’t do ur shed any good in the long run

Bike looks good, who told you a 29er ht feels like a 26″ FS??

mattjg
    Free Member

750mm’s about the sweet spot for me.

Nice looking bike.

nickc

It’s very ermmmmm, grey and black, then….

kayak23

Lovely looking bike that, really looks right. 760mm bars ftw.

Those areas of green mould on the shed would seem to suggest that moisture is hanging around. I’d give it a once over with some treatment soon as the weather allows.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Bike looks good, who told you a 29er ht feels like a 26″ FS??

Just the usual nonsense you read on the intermenet.

It’s very ermmmmm, grey and black, then….

My last bike was white and was a right pain to keep clean.

mattjg
    Free Member

I’d get a dropper on that.

carlphillips
    Free Member

I’d get a dropper on that too….

also it appears you seem to be running one of those new ‘folding’ chainrings 😉

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

also it appears you seem to be running one of those new ‘folding’ chainrings

It’s a new fitness aid that forces you to keep it in the big-ring for some uphill gurning. They’re really easy to fit. All you do is buy a second-hand chainset and forget to check if the bolts are done up before you fit it.

Oops.

cp

Out of interest, what are the bars?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these but in the stock single speed/rigid build. It is one of the smartest looking bikes I’ve ever owned. Very classy. The cheese bottom bracket hasn’t lasted many rides before developing a creak tho’.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Bars are Blackspire 808. Got ’em in the CRC supersale for £17.

timc
    Free Member

Where did you get the frame from?

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I got the frame from a shop in Glasgow called Cycle-Lane (cos they did it on 6 months interest free for me). I don’t see why any Kona dealer couldn’t sort one though.

Chopped the bars down to 750mm and it’s a different bike. Feels planted and solid now, but really chuckable when I want it to be. One of the issues I’ve always had with 26″ bikes is that I feel really ‘perched’ and unstable. Geometry of bigger wheels seems to really suit me as I feel like I’m a lot more ‘inside’ the bike, so a lot more confident. Does that make sense?

mattjg
    Free Member

absolutely

I sit on a 26 now and the front wheel looks minuscule and too far away

z1ppy

I do like those, and was sorely tempted to buy one, as a ride on a rigid one was the tipping point for me buying my 29er.
    Looks good

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Like.

I’m a tall lad, and will be building up a HT over the summer (scouting for bargains) to use for local winter rides.

This has risen to the top of the list 🙂

barn
    Free Member

That bike looks the nuts.
    I am worried about the shed though.

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Nice. Kona HTs always look good.

chewkw
    Free Member

I like! 😀

Not sure about the suspension but still … I like!

haggis1978

Very nice and cycle lane are a good bunch to deal with. That where I got my Raijin from.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Yet another steel 29er hardtail’ is closed to new replies.