Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Yes, it's a blind corner
  • sockpuppet

No, you can’t see round it.

I know you can’t see round it because I’m in front of you, and I can’t see round it yet.

Please don’t overtake me just now. Wait a few seconds.

Really.

That is all.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

But you were holding them up…

Stoner
    Free Member

and you dont even pay tax

(I now take what I call a full-fat secondary position most of the time just in case I’m not in primary when I need to be 😀 )

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There’s a cycle path over there, why ain’t you on it guv?

Kahurangi

OI! FINK U OWN THE ROAD? GET IN THE GUTTER B4 I THUMP U

theotherjonv

you deserve a punch in the head from a man in a souped up VW.

zanelad
    Free Member

1/10 shit poor rant

ajantom

^^^This recently…..When I pointed out that it went over lots of driveways, was covered in dog mess, broken glass, walkers with earphones in, and dogs off the lead, I was told to eff off and get a car then. Nice.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Chances of a car coming the other way are what, like 5% or less? And the 19 times they’ve done it before were fine so this should be fine too…

perchypanther
    Free Member

Do you know who I am?

TiRed

Always move out into the centre of the lane before a blind bend#. Gives following cars more opportunity to see you, and prevent them from making stupid maneuvers.

#Same practice for cars, actually

theotherjonv

no it doesn’t, it’s just a calculated manoeuvre to annoy the guy behind and make him want to hurt or maim you.

You bastard

theotherjonv

seriously, this is my particular bugbear bit of road near me….

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2675465,-0.5831388,3a,75y,299.9h,92.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2GwvP6TfWvjLje_B4sRk1g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

the road curves just after the railway bridge so you can’t see if anything’s coming. So i take primary coming up to it to dissuade cars from overtaking me, but it’s a NSL road so they are often doing 50-odd mph and think they can get past before the bridge – but where it’s a nice downhill gradient I’m going faster than they seem to realise too.

I reckon 20% of the times I go through there the car behind misjudges and has to brake hard to pull back in behind me when they realise they can’t get through before the bridge – usually with accompanying horn

And maybe 1/4 of those times they just overtake anyway.

It’s almost identical the other way round too.

I have no idea why it isn’t no overtaking / double white lines (not that that matters where bikes are concerned in the eyes of most drivers, but it might make them think)

ajantom

I have no idea why it isn’t no overtaking / double white lines (not that that matters where bikes are concerned in the eyes of most drivers, but it might make them think)

Doesn’t apply to bikes mate 😉

I recently had a twunt of a Beemer driver overtake me and the cyclist I was waiting behind on a blind bend with double white lines. Couldn’t wait 30 seconds could he.
    I caught up with him about 2 minutes later as he was stuck behind a tractor, which meant he was weaving all over the road trying to see past and overtake on what is a tight 2 laner at the best of times!

aracer
    Free Member

I’ll give you respect when cyclists start respecting the HC

medlow
    Free Member

It’s relentless!
    It will never stop.
    Same today on my commute..

bigyinn
    Free Member

You all ride on the pavements and jump red lights. Respect has to be earned you know.

theotherjonv

I do that in my car as well. It’s nothing to do with being a cyclist, I’m a **** in general.

adsh
    Free Member

Some drivers will try to kill you whatever you do.

riddoch

On the double white line thing, different editions of the highway code have given different examples of things you are allowed to pass. Sometimes it’s milkfloats and horses, sometimes it’s cyclists. I think officially it’s anything less than 10mph, which I guess is the speed most drives must think all cyclist do.
    Which reminds me, must remember to report the driving instructor that overtook me on double lines this morning.

nealglover
    Free Member

must remember to report the driving instructor that overtook me on double lines this morning.

I was given a Fail on my driving test in 1989 for not overtaking a bike on double white lines approaching a railway bridge in York.
    I complained and won (only a free retest and no waiting period)

aracer
    Free Member

Different editions? You mean out of date versions? The current version (which is the only one which matter) says:

You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

The law (TSRGD 2002 – I’m not sure what the law was before that) says:

(e)in order to pass a road maintenance vehicle which is in use, is moving at a speed not exceeding 10 mph, and is displaying to the rear the sign shown in diagram 610 or 7403;
    (f)in order to pass a pedal cycle moving at a speed not exceeding 10 mph;
    (g)in order to pass a horse that is being ridden or led at a speed not exceeding 10 mph;

(all information easily available online)

so as far as I can work out it’s never legal to cross double whites to overtake a milkfloat, no matter how slow it is going.

riddoch

Not quite as bad astweet at the weekend.
    Stopped during test for no insurance on the instructor car.

riddoch

Aracer, that may be the law and current edition of the highway code but how many people reread it since they passed their test.
    Apart from double checking things like this (and who has right of way when on foot crossing in front of turning traffic, i may be dead but ill be in the right) I’ve not looked at it since my advanced driving test 10ish years ago. It was part of that it was mentioned that preceding editions had said different things.
    Generally double white lines are there for a reason so to cross over them is a bad idea anyway and generally means the driver has not shown good awareness of the road ahead.

rene59
    Free Member

^^^This recently…..When I pointed out that it went over lots of driveways, was covered in dog mess, broken glass, walkers with earphones in, and dogs off the lead, I was told to eff off and get a car then. Nice. [/quote]

I’m no roadie but I get the above. What I don’t get is somewhere like the A82 going up the side of Loch Lomond. There is a cycle path alongside the main road from Balloch to Tarbet yet roadies seem to prefer sitting in the 18″ or so of space between the solid white line and verge of the main road? For a lot of that stretch of the A82 cars just zoom past (40 to 100+ MPH)not even slowing down as the roadies are off the main lane, **** that! I have heard the argument that cycle paths are not maintained, pot holes, chuckies loose on them etc, but it can’t be worse than that little 18″ wide strip can it?

aracer
    Free Member

10ish years ago the law was the same as it is now. I’d be surprised therefore if the HC said something substantively different which contradicted the law.

In fact on further research the wording of this is exactly the same in TSRGD 1994 (I can’t easily find TSRDGD 1981 to check, but suspect it was also the same in that), so the law on this certainly hasn’t changed in 23 years, and as above the HC is unlikely to have been different to the law.

Of course the failure of drivers to keep up to date with the HC is no excuse at all.

nbt

maybe they’re hoping to get some benefit from the airflow of passing cars and improve their strava time 🙂

sirromj

Interlude
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6heqiuHmvmM[/video]

maccruiskeen

so as far as I can work out it’s never legal to cross double whites to overtake a milkfloat, no matter how slow it is going.

I’ll keep that in mind if I ever take a wrong turn and find myself driving in the 1970s again 🙂

benpinnick

Having just moved 300miles north I have realised there is definitely some regional variation in this though. Up north even a car going at the speed limit is still fair game for a dodgy overtake round a blind corner, and anyone on the road is a target for some abuse.

I actually thought the north would be much safer on the roads with less traffic, but it seems maybe we’re all resigned to going slow in the south so don’t feel the need to endanger everyones lives each time we take to our cars 😯

PJay
    Free Member

I get this all the time (double whites too) and I’ve seen a few near misses!

Hidden dips also seem to cause the exact same impatience.

tthew

I have heard the argument that cycle paths are not maintained, pot holes, chuckies loose on them etc, but it can’t be worse than that little 18″ wide strip can it?

There’s a stretch of road near me like that, but it’s a footpath over the 18″ strip, not a cyclepath. The airflow from the trucks and cars keeps the strip fairly clear and blows all the debris onto the path.

jekkyl

there’s actually a place called Balloch? lol brilliant. 😀

scaredypants

I thought drivers were allowed to overtake on blind bends – and to continue when they saw cyclists coming the other way

… even if they end up killing one of them

Ah, here we go – Bez on it, as ever

kerley
    Free Member

Always move out into the centre of the lane before a blind bend#. Gives following cars more opportunity to see you, and prevent them from making stupid maneuvers.

Most of my rides have a number of blind bends and a few blind brows. I always go into centre but 9 times out of ten they still overtake anyway. If I manage to ‘wave’ them down they ask me ‘what the hell am you doing riding in the middle of the road making it hard to overtake”
    I have found it is not worth even discussing it after that point but when I ask “would you have overtaken a car in the same place” they don’t have much to say.

km79
    Free Member

there’s actually a place called Balloch? lol brilliant.

Not pronounced they way you are thinking 😀

sockpuppet

TiRed – Member

#Same practice for cars, actually

Yes. I was riding primary. Then I heard a car approaching, looked over my shoulder, assessed speed, etc.

Moved out further. They started to go anyway. I moved almost to the white lines, because it wasn’t a safe place to pass.

So they went round me.

Doing the ‘get out of my way. Over there. What could you possibly be doing getting in my way. This is all your fault’ arm wave.

While totally on the other side of the road.

BadlyWiredDog

I like the thing where the oncoming car driver, having almost been smashed into oblivion by the overtaking idiot and forced to crash brake then glares venomously at the poor bloody cyclist as if he or she is responsible for the other driver’s actions.

Fortunately I am genetically blessed with x-ray vision so can overtake anywhere in perfect safety.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Yes, it's a blind corner’ is closed to new replies.