• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • XT Brake Problem
  • lowey

Pair of XT brakes just over a year old. Last month the rear suddenly had no power and squealed like a banshee. However they came back after dragging them down a long hill. Contaminated Pad / Rotor I though. Must have got a bit of lube on them.

Cleaned the rotor and pads and they worked a treat for the one ride. Put bike away and next time come to use it and same problem. I’ve bled them also.

Again, dragged them down a long descent and they were fine for the rest of the ride, then once again… next ride they are the same.

Any ideas what may be causing it ? I cant see any brake fluid on the calliper.

Cheers all.

paulevans
    Free Member

Could be that you have a small leak from the piston behind the pad. It wouldn’t take much brake fluid to make them squeal. Might be a warranty job.

allan23
    Free Member

Possibly a daft thought.

What size rotors and what terrain? If they’re huge rotors, you could be glazing the pads on the less hilly terrain, when you hit the long downhill they start to work properly.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lowey

180’s and ordinary riding, well, lakes riding.

hora
    Free Member

Strip and new seals etc I’d say

martinhutch

Strip and new seals etc I’d say

Didn’t think you could get spares/seals for Shimano brakes.

jairaj

When I had leaky callipers there was a minute amount of leakage but it had a significant reduction in braking performance. Took me ages to spot the leak as it was so small. After the ride, take the pads out and give the calliper a good clean around the pistons and seals. Then zip tie some tissue to the pistons or tightly wedge the tissue so its got a good contact with the piston seals. leave over night. If there is any leakage there will be some staining on the tissue.

But … if the callipers are leaking then the lever will start to feel softer and pull back to the bars. Especially for the first few lever pulls, after which any air in the calliper may have moved up to the reservoir. If the lever feels consistently firm then I think something else is happening.

lowey

Lever feels fine. Good Tip Jairaj.. thanks mate, will give that a go.

lowey
    thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m utterly fed up with my XT brakes. They were fine for the first few months and then they’ve just been gash since. I’ve tried about five different types or brands of pad, every trick going to get any last bits of air out, but to no avail. Pretty disappointed with them.

colin9

I have a similar problem with my Deore. Worked perfectly for about a year then developed the symptoms you describe. I’ve just bought a new caliper from CRC for about £20 to swap out, hopefully that will solve the problem.

I quite fancy swapping to Hope, but can’t justify the price differential as the Deore’s did work flawlessly for a long time.

DezB
    Free Member

Fixed mine after a thread on here (explained the tiny leak phenomenon) – bought some aftermarket hoses. Jobsagoodun.

http://www.uberbikecomponents.com/category/435/Hydraulic-Brake-Hose-Kits

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘XT Brake Problem’ is closed to new replies.