Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • XC tyre recommendations.
  • weejase40
    Free Member

I have been using Kenda nevagal on my 2007 Orange Five since i bought it. changed like for like over the last 4 years.
    i fancy trying something different. the standard is 2.35, Orange currently fitting Maxxis advantage 2.25 on the new range.
    My riding is Cross country /singletrack /trail centre. with 3-4 mile tarmac ride out to the trail.
    Any recommendations welcome.
    cheers.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Maxxis Ignitors

rp16v
    Free Member

ignitors or sb8

joolsburger
    Free Member

Ignitors seem familiar to me for some reason. Still imitation is a sincere form of flattery.

Olly
    Free Member

race kings for XC.

horrendous in the mud, but who likes riding in mud?

nearly as fast rolling as a road tyre, grips like velcro.
    amazing 🙂

Moonhead
    Free Member

I was using the Advantage that came on mine until a week ago. Very good all round tyre, never had any problems with them although not great in mud.

Now have a Nobby nic up front and a Ralph on the rear (both tubeless). So far have been very happy. I should say I am still in the process of finding out how they bite in corners etc. Nice fast rolling summer tyre combo and light too.

Oh….both 2.25, they come up smaller than the Maxxis but that hasn’t bothered me.

nuke

I like the Advantage on the front and prefer it to the High Roller I had previously. May not be as fast rolling as Ignitior or similar but very dependable…2.1 Lust on my XC bike, 2.25 on my more play bike.

Then a nice fast rolling tyre on the rear…2.1 Crossmark on the XC, 2.25 Aspen on the play bike. Aspen is a great tyre…fast rolling with surprising amounts of traction given the limited tread although the sidewalls do seem quite fragile but I do have an eXCeption version.

neninja
    Free Member

Swapped my front Advantage 2.1 Exc for a Rubber Queen 2.2 black chilli as the Advantage seemed prone to let go on loose surfaces without warning.

The RQ makes a much better front tyre – kept an Advantage on the rear.

mboy
    Free Member

Personally, I’d fit a much faster rear tyre than the Nevegal’s you’ve been using, if you ride a fair bit on tarmac they’ll be slowing you down a lot!

Though obviously come the winter months, you’ll not want a full on semi slick style tyre though. I’m a great believer in having a set of Winter, and a set of Summer tyres for each bike personally, makes much better sense. About to do the same for my car too, given the last 2 crappy winters we’ve had and the amount of time I couldn’t drive anywhere!

elaineanne
    Free Member

i have nevegals in the winter and for summer mountain kings…i do like the nevegals… 😉

Jehosophat
    Free Member

Noby Nic or Rocket Ron front and Rocket Ron or Racing Ralph rear?

Watch the Ralphs if it is rocky though – living near the South Downs, mine (was running one on the rear) lasted a whole three rides before ripping open the sidewall on a flint.

Personally running Nobby Nic 2.25’s and they are stupidly light and fast and grippy. Not a good rear in mud, so something narrower needed for winter.

weejase40
    Free Member

I agree Mboy, they are painful on tarmac, whacking 60-70 psi in them helps a bit ,but they wear quite quickly. the idea of a winter summer set sounds good,too late for my rear nevegal, but the front would be fine for winter slush and mud.
    Many thanks for the input, gives me something to think on.
    cheers

rbrstr
    Free Member

Bontrager jones are my tyre of choice for XC racing, light,good puncture resistance,all round grippy on any surface
    superb.

weejase40
    Free Member

Bontrager jones recommended by a work mate. I trust his judgement. Where is the best place to get them from? CRC have none. still looking.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Ardent up front Aspen on the back, works great for me

nicko74

rbrstr – Member

Bontrager jones are my tyre of choice for XC racing, light,good puncture resistance,all round grippy on any surface
    superb.
    ….except Bonty doesn’t make them any more, it seems – real shame, as I’ve used them for the last 4 years or so in all conditions.

weejase40
    Free Member

that’s why they are so hard to find in my size!! arse.

weejase40
    Free Member

went with a pair of nobby nic Evo snake skins in 2.25. they look positively anorexic compared to the nevegals.
    Got them rather cheaply too, £39.00 for the pair. Are there such things as cheap knock off tyres?

Wozza
    Free Member

My brothers on Conti X-King 2.4 supersonics, so far they’re grippy and quick on most surfaces, can’t comment on how long they’re going to last though.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Would second the race kings but totally disagree with olly in terms of their performance in the mud, unless it’s extreme off camber or real extreme mud then they are fine…Although I used to ride with a conti twister on the rear in the mud with out problems, funny when one guy in the group was complaining about his tyres not being good in the mud and someone else pointed at mine!

Not the worlds best rider or anything just too lazy to change tyres regularly so lean to ride them in all conditions. You see Irina kalentieva use them in petty muddy conditions.

The only annoying thing about conti RK (supersonic versions) is that tubeless too much hassle.

nicko74

went with a pair of nobby nic Evo snake skins in 2.25. they look positively anorexic compared to the nevegals.
    Got them rather cheaply too, £39.00 for the pair

Could be last year’s stock? Either way, bit of a bargain there. I’d be interested to know how you get on with them, as my Bonty Joneses are reaching the end of the line 🙁

weejase40
    Free Member

Could be last year’s stock? Either way, bit of a bargain there. I’d be interested to know how you get on with them, as my Bonty Joneses are reaching the end of the line

Search nobby nic on e-bay the seller sells pairs from 37.99 and 39.99 depending on spec. From reviews i have read i am willing to give them a gamble. They are wire bead but they package them well enough not to bend or break the wire. Can’t wait to get out and give them some miles tomorrow.

dickie
    Free Member

That sounds expensive for wire beaded tyres, lots of varieties at On One form £20-£25 in folding.

weejase40
    Free Member

duly noted. didn’t hink of checking on one TBH.
    took them out for a couple of loops round my local fast single track ,and they are really really good, they roll really well and dry grip is spot on. then did a 25 mile road/trail ride. Very happy with them so far.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘XC tyre recommendations.’ is closed to new replies.