Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • WTD : bimbling from pub to pub ideas…
  • LittleNose
    Free Member

The missus and I enjoy taking the bikes for “bimble from pub to pub” style rides, and looking for suggestions within a couple of hours drive of Surrey.

Ideally looking for somewhere with nice countryside, easy going, primarily off road, and with a distance covered in the region of 35-45km.

As examples, we’ve enjoyed the Kennet & Avon Canal, Downs Link, Bewl Water, and Rutland Water.

[edit] maybe this belongs in the “Wanted” forum 😛

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ridgeway?
    Wayfarers Walk?

nedrapier

My idea would be to leave the car at home! There are loads of lanes, bridleways and pubs in Surrey and borders. Or at least get the train out and ride back.

Wife and I trained to Guildford, swam at the lido and took the back lanes home via a few pubs. I’ve lived round this area for decent chunks of my life, but I’d never seen 50% of that route before.

IHN

Start in Cricklade, follow the NCN45 to the pretty village of South Cerney with it’s pubs. From there pick your choice of quiet country lanes to pretty villages; Siddington (the Greyhound), Ewen (Wild Duck), Ashton Keynes (White Hart) and/or Somerford Keynes (Bakers Arms). Pick up the bridleway around the lakes between Ashton Keynes and South Cerney, back on to the NCN45, back to Cricklade.

LittleNose
    Free Member

Thanks for the ideas guys.

CaptainFlashheart – Yes, the Ridgeway was something that we’d thought about, but haven’t gotten around to yet. Not heard of the Wayfarers walk before – but like the look of it, and will investigate more.

nedrapier – I agree, there’s lots to explore in Surrey, and I often head off exploring to a greater or lesser extent.
    For this though, we like to get away for the weekend – rather than just a day trip, with the bikes just being the focus of one day.

IHN – that looks cool… and it looks like the source of the Thames is there too. Would prefer to be off road, but will check it out in more detail.

IHN

and it looks like the source of the Thames is there too

Cricklade’s not quiet the source of the Thames, it’s further upstream near Coates. There’s a pub there too 🙂 The Thames Head Inn.

It mainly country lanes, but most of them are quiet single lane types.

Klunk
    Free Member

Southwold – Walberswick – Dunwich – Aldeburgh – Orford (otherwise known as Nottinghill on sea 😉 )

IHN

Would prefer to be off road, but will check it out in more detail.

There’s other options from Northleach, Bibury, Winchcombe and others; the Cotswolds is full of bimbly rides and chock full of country pubs

richardthird

If you don’t mind a hill and awesome views, bridleways around Beachy Head into Friston Forest linking The Tiger Inn East Dean with the Eight Bells Jevington.
    25-35km loops probs 500-700m.

Stay at either the Tiger, or if you don’t mind heights, Belle Tout lighthouse.

dknwhy

For fuss-free bimbling routes, I use THIS site. It favours quiet roads, cycle network and the odd bridleway – perfect for a hardtail or gravel bike.
    Circular route options and pub/places of interest option too.

towzer

if you go to Bournemouth (off season/beware summer restrictions and dog owners) you can go along prom from Hengistbury Head to Poole/Sandbanks, ferry, old Harry Rocks, Corfe Castle/Wareham/forest area and then train or loop back

Barbury Castle S of Swindon (to Avebury/Marlborough area – lots of tracks + Ridge)

also Marlborough,se Savernake/ e G Bedwyn or S Crofton, e canal/ hungerfordish[we cut N at Froxfield but pubs/cafe etc/antique shops in Hungerford]/n chilton foliat, w Ramsbury (*but track below river Axford etc is lovely), N Sugar Hill, Wanaborough Plain, sw to railway track and s home

adsh
    Free Member

I’d avoid the Ridgeway – not a pub on it.

The southern foothills of the Chilterns are however a pub rich and associated bridleway/lane environment.

I might put together a loop. How gastro are you?

King William at Hayley – amazing views
    Black Horse Checkendon – best pub in the universe – rolls and chocolate bars
    Rising Sun – Witheridge Hill – nice location
    Cherry Tree – Stoke Row – owned by Carol Decker of TPau
    Crooked Billet – Stoke Row – probably the place to eat if you can afford it – very good.

Total loop about 10-12miles?

LittleNose
    Free Member

wow – thanks for all the input everyone !

hills are a little bit of an issue, but so long as there’s only one or two, then I generally get an approval stamp.

That cycle.travel/maps link looks useful – cheers

I think the Cotswolds (or Chilterns if not too hilly) look like a probable next destination.

adsh – I think we’re looking for more like 20-30 miles. But let me get back to you if we decide that’s the target area. (don’t want to waste your time).

once again, thanks all 🙂

ninfan
    Free Member

about five pubs on that

corroded
    Free Member

I’ve got a great route in Hampshire (probably OK by train from Surrey) that takes in some absolutely superb pubs. But there are hills…
    Have you tried the Shipwrights Way? Easy from Surrrey, goes via The Harrow in Steep (among other pubs), is mainly on quiet lanes/bike paths and has ‘some’ hills but not too bad. https://www.hants.gov.uk/thingstodo/countryside/walking/shipwrightsway

swanny853

If you’ve not seen it I might recommend the ‘lost lanes’ book for the south east. Present from my sister for my birthday, looks lovely. As we’re trying to sort out the garden of a new house riding time has mostly been mountain biking but I’m looking forward to bimbling round some of the routes.

ahsat

Thanks for the website link dknwhy. I’ve moved in the last few months and I am struggling to plan some quiet lane cx rides – this looks ideal!

thomthumb
    Free Member

rye-dover gets my vote. it’s mostly promenade so not mtb terroritory.

Was blazing hot when i was there which helps…

belugabob
    Free Member

Black Horse Checkendon – best pub in the universe – rolls and chocolate bars

It would have to be the best pub in the multi-verse to get me in there. We’d planned to have lunch there, on the way from Oxford to Bagshot (about the right distance into the ride, right time of day, and a nice reward for the climb up from Ipsden), pulled into the car park and leaned our bikes carefully against the substantial fence. The landlady was tending to her hanging baskets and we greeted her with a cheery “good afternoon – what a lovely day” etc. only to have a grumpy response, along the lines of “don’t you dare lean your bike against my potted plants” (which were at least six feet away from the bikes, BTW)
    She then sulked off into the pub – and we got back on our bikes and rode a few miles further, and had a really nice welcoming lunch at the New Inn, in Kidmore End.

#fussycustomer

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘WTD : bimbling from pub to pub ideas…’ is closed to new replies.