Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Working out height gain without a GPS (Lyme Cage if any locals know the height)
  • barca
    Free Member

Does anybody have an easy method (I'm mathamatically challanged) for working out height from one point to the next?
    I need to know how much higher Lyme Cage in Lyme Park is from the road below it. Distance I can do aided by Cateye cycle computers, height is beyond me though.
    Google was unhelpful.

Olly
    Free Member

get an OS map (multimap have them online) and count the contour lines.

crazy-legs

Cage Hill is 263m ASL
    That's 863ft.

Militant_biker

You could draw the route into http://www.mapmyride.com and it can give you a profile, max height and height gain. It runs off Google maps so is better suited to roads rather than tracks…

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

173m at the A6

263m at the cage

you do the math 🙂

barca
    Free Member

A6 is higher than the drive road but thanks anyway 🙂
    I'll do the google earth/map thing later (or take Crazy Legs' – thanks James) word for it 🙂
    I need to know what I'm doing when I'm doing my hill reps.
    Thanks again, I love you all.

barca
    Free Member

Actually, is that right James? 863 feet from the road into the park (for arguements sake the pay hut) to the cage? Gosh (or similar expletives)!

nbt

863 feet ASL – Above Sea Level. Not Above The Road 🙂

IA

Looking at a map will be more accurate than a gps anyhow. GPS is a poor system to measure altitude with any accuracy.

barca
    Free Member

I'm speed reading at work. I assumed they'd put an Advanced Stop Lane in at the hut or something?
    Cheers IA. I'll get the map out tonight.

Stoner
    Free Member

IA – map contours are not very accurate either. They are interpolations based on visual information and some measurements, not measurements in themselves. Spot heights on maps are accurate.

WAAs on a GPS should give you better than 7m accuracy.
    http://users.erols.com/dlwilson/gpswaas.htm

Admittedly, its unlikely that a map contour would be more than 7 metres out but equally 7m is supposed to be the maximum error on the WAAS GPS 🙂

crazy-legs

Steve,
    263m at the summit.
    173m on the A6 at Disley (the sharp corner).

That's 90m (295ft) height difference. Admittedly you drop down a bit from the corner as you go into the park so call it a nice round 100m.

barca
    Free Member

I prefered your previous answer to be honest James 🙂
    Thanks again (all).

daveh
    Free Member

BikeRouteToaster
    better import/export options.

BikeHike
    with OS maps

barca
    Free Member

Cheers Dave

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Working out height gain without a GPS (Lyme Cage if any locals know the height)’ is closed to new replies.