Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Woostore help (engineering with possible retaining wall content)
  • organic355
    Free Member

So I need some help in designing my next woodstore, I’ve got these 5 with about a tonne in each:

(Don’t worry the snow has gone)

But I am needing somewhere to store uncut logs in approx 1m lengths.

I’ve got this space down the side of the house, which is kind of built up with soil. It is kind of a failed veggie patch (not much light) with he wooden boarding keeping the soil in. I thought about moving all the soil and wdge stones out and building 1 large long store down there however the fence you can see has its posts concreted into the ground, so I can’t simply move all the soil out on my side if you know what I mean?

Fence post base:

Another view:

So what can u do about hhe fence posts?

How would you design a woodstore for down there?

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers

properbikeco
    Free Member

you rightly state undermining the fence is a bad idea.
    If its just to be a wood store just level the existing base as best you can and store the logs as you already have them

for fancier suggestions remove earth and replace with gravel, or cover with tin like your other stores.
    I think its overkill – you do know green timber is much easier to cut anyway?

ski
    Free Member

Can you not just use some more of the retaining bricks, that have been used in the bottom of your last pic to retain the soil?

I have a neighbor who has used them on his property in a similar situation to you (bricked up to about two feet) then just used pallets to store them.

Can take a pic to show you if you like if it helps?

He owes me me a few beers 😉

slowoldgit
    Free Member

You said it is a shadey place. Will the wood dry out there?

organic355
    Free Member

It’s fairly breezy, the plastic greenhouse at the end has to be tether down to stop it blowing away.

Ski, those blocks are bloody expensive!! Pic would be useful.

burko73

just build a retaining wall out of sleepers and fill the top with gravel. or put tall posts in to the ground use the bottom to hold (screw planks across) for a retaining structure then continue these up to hold a roof. fill with gravel to the bottom of the fenceposts and stack wood on top of that.

wingnuts

Where are you organic? Not to offer any constructive help but to include you in my mapping of strategic woodpiles. Mcmoonter has an army lurking north of the border and stoner has a division or two. As evidenced on here there are several battalions about and I’ll currently list you as a skirmishing group. I may up grade to company strength when have intelligence of you new build.

Stoner
    Free Member

I would level the soil as best you can and then cover with some weed membrane. Place two lines of sleepers along the bed on the weed membrane parallel with the fence line. Set an upright at each end (maybe with a strut for better strength) and stack the 1m cord across the sleepers, retained by the uprights at the sides.

a bit like this pile on the right.

Im going to be chopping that this spring and then re-doing the sleeper supports and some uprights ready to take 10+ tons from the coppice this summer.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My uncut logs currently live under an ifowilliams tintop from the rear of my defender

Needdnt go crazy with the covering till they are cut. Air flow is main thing

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Could you lay your hands on a couple of telegraph poles? You could lay them length ways and supporting them here and there ( perhaps raising the front rail to keep the logs level) then lay your logs across them as Stoner suggested.

organic355
    Free Member

All good suggestions, problem is I checked this morning and that little pile is already pushing the supporting wooden edging and stones at the bottom out a bit, worried it might all collapse, so thinking I need some better support at the front. maybe concrete some posts in at the front and then join them to the Fence with some kind of brace?

Wingnuts I am north of the border too, fairly close to McMoonter I think. I am not telling you exactly as you will steal my stash.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Woostore help (engineering with possible retaining wall content)’ is closed to new replies.