Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Woodburners Q.
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Do you get your chimney swept ever/how often?
    Not me but my stepson has one & was wondering.

Ta.

Yak

Once a year.

jam-bo

Normally in October/November time but only use it from November through to about March.

SaxonRider

We’ve had ours done twice in 6 years.

I think the amount you have it cleaned depends on what kind of stuff you burn and how hot.

We will burn coal sometimes, but predominantly wood – which, for the last 12 months has been exclusively cedar.

On both occasions that had the chimney swept, it was pretty clean anyway.

rickmeister

It’s Germany, we have procedures for this…

2x a year…

somafunk

Depends on what you burn i guess?, if you burn unseasoned hardwood wood or resin packed softwood you’ll need to sweep far more often than if you burn properly seasoned wood.

I’ve had my stove fitted with a full 904 stainless liner for near enough 3 years and i swept it for the first time last month, got less than a shovels worth of ash/crap out of it but i only burn well seasoned hardwood from a mates farm/forest and machined oak packing blocks, the very heavy blocks that’s used by engineering firms to support heavy machinery when they transport or work on stuff.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Cheers chaps. He’s just moved into the place & has no idea when/if it was last done or what was being used so probably good practice to do it anyway, but at least he now knows how often.
    Thanks!

kcal

once or twice a year. I have the brushes (and several stoves) so it makes sense.
    We tend to run the stoves hot, with reasonably dried wood (soft and hard) and the amount that comes down is really pretty minimal to be honest.

Wally

Once a year in the summer holidays. £50 – half an hours work

Drac

I do my own usually once a year.

Stoner
    Free Member

^ + 1

I have two stove flues and the furnace. I take a day a year, usually in May, and sweep all three flues and service the furnace.

Over all three, I rarely have more than a pint or two of ash/clinker, but it only takes 15mins each flue, so its daft not to keep on top of it.

It’s well worth getting a proper sweep (old skool) to check your flue, sweep it and tell you a bit about it if you’ve just moved in somewhere.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Once a year.
    But someone does it for me..

granny_ring

2 times a year.

trailhound101

When we lived in France, it was a condition of the house insurance that we had a certificate to show it had been done every 12 months. We’ve sort of kept up that habit … and the log burner draws better with a clean flue in any case!

jjojjas
    Free Member

I just do my own every year or two. takes 40 minutes.
    Jas

siwhite
    Free Member

Home sweeps – I have drain rods already so a sweeping brush is a small investment. Is it as simple as rodding the brush up (while twisting, to maintain the screw threads…) and then down again? How do you prevent soot armageddon in the room? Stoves, not open fires, with stainless flexi liners, if it makes a difference…

kcal

flexi rods help the rods get through the stove angles.

have a little blanket cover over front of stove aperture to stop it all billowing down although very little actually comes out TBH. diameter of the brushes vary,a s does hardness (we only have one lined flue).

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Sweep once a year, for each stove/boiler

Mostly burn anthracite and/or smokeless nuggets.

Don’t get much gunk from either boiler or stove – so never experience “soot armageddon”.

Got stuck with a load of damp wood the first year we moved in, that made a ton of mess in the flue. Proper dry fuel doesn’t leave much behind.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Woodburners Q.’ is closed to new replies.