Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Women's shorts and shoes – Christmas Dilemmas
  • junitrules
    Free Member

Hi All,

Thinking of getting Mrs junitrules some biking stuff, shorts and shoes in particular.

Any ladies out there got any recommendations? I’m struggling to find shoes for flat pedals specific for women. Only some spesh purple things!

Tracey

We use five ten shoes and look on Start Cycles. Bargains galore on Scott womens shorts.

kayla1
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of pairs of Endura Humvee lite 3/4 short which are very good and comfy and not too XC-lycra looking and I use these on my flats-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Everlast-Womens-Ladies-Footwear-Flame-Low-Fashion-Trainers-Shoes-/390791512375?pt=UK_Women_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item5afcfd4137

cos they’re stiff and grip the pins really well, and they’re cheap enough to wreck, or these-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vans-Authentic-Red-Womens-/231267785644?pt=UK_Women_s_Shoes&var=530496728721&hash=item35d8a25bac

cos, well, they’re Vans innit 😀

edit- lots of women-specific stuff is a bit crap and useless for actually riding a bike and not minding if you get filthy or fall off, or mooching around off the bike. There’s a gaping hole in the market for some non-crap, comfy 3/4 baggy shorts that actually are 3/4 shorts and go past one’s knees.

cinnamon_girl

Specifically for Winter wear?

Waterproof shorts are brilliant as is a softshell jacket. Decent gloves are essential as most wimminz feel the cold. Waterproof socks?

Five Tens are available for women and are colourful.

@ kayla – Madison do some good 3/4 length ones in a hard wearing fabric.

julzm
    Free Member

Five tens here too. Only some come in smaller sizes but five ten are launching a women’s specific range. Elements are the waterproof type ones.

Race face Womens khyber shorts are excellent for winter riding as they are fairly thick tweedy type material and water resistant. Best shorts I have and as comfy as my dakine which is saying something. Buy her a decent short liner though.

I’d also recommend waterproof socks, as many ladies have thin feet meaning that the water gets in easily and we feel the cold easier (because womens fat is more concentrated on the female areas).

Don’t underestimte the lure of a bright camelbak…….lost track of the number of people who have commented on my bright yellow/lime one.

Matt_SS_xc

Just bought gf a pair of Madison flux shorts, she lives them. Seem to cope with the wet well.
    Gf wears purple five ten free riders, the purple makes them girlie innit!!

CheesybeanZ

MrsbeanZ swears by Gore clothing for fit and quality , five tens -no idea which model . And she’s just got a pair of small mens Madison Tempest waterproof shorts , recommended by the three ladies at Kirroughtree bike shop .

kayla1
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl- thanks!

My bf (cos I have his paypal password) has I’ve just bought me some Madison Flux 3/4 shorts 😀

wallop

I like Endura Singletrack shorts. Sombrio also make nice, flattering and comfortable shorts. My special treat to myself this year though was a pair by Maloja – really nice!

Shoes wise, I don’t feel the need to wear women’s specific footwear – I use Five Tens for DH and Giro Terraduro when clipped in.

cakefacesmallblock

Suffering similar issues for presents too. My g/f is only a size 6 and about 5’6 tall.
    In men’s kit Endura Humvees come up a bit small in comparison with what I might normally buy for myself.
    Are there any women’s brands or girlie kit from the usual suspects which size up smaller than might be expected ? Kids stuff sometimes works for her but if was I etc fits, then often arms n legs n backs come up short.
    All advice gratefully received.
    Sorry to hijack a bit !

Clover

I like stuff from minx-girl.com. Lots of eye-catching tops (I particularly love my cycling dress).

And the fit of Pearl Izumi bottoms is great. Full length tights for me this time of year!

Oh, and in full length bib tights Gore do ones that permit wee stops without completely disrobing. Yey!

cinnamon_girl
    Tracey

cakefacesmallblock

Still got loads of Katies XS bike clothes for sale here, most of it has only been worn a couple of times before she out grew it

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-men-and-womens-biking-clothing

cakefacesmallblock

Tracey .

Thanks ! I’ll pass it on to Jules .

cakefacesmallblock

Tracey .

Thanks ! I’ll pass it on to Jules .

ks562
    Free Member

Another vote for the madison shorts for winter. Lasted 6 months of wet and mud before ripping which is good going for me.

I have really narrow feet and get away with the five tens fine too. Managed to get the 2013 winter ones cheap on amazon.

If you’re looking for something more colourful have a look at Flare Clothing. Jerseys are great all year Nd I’ve got two pairs of the shorts. First ones that sit on the knee and don’t give me the dreaded knee pad/thigh shorts gap!

stewartc
    Free Member

Not a lady,from but if you want to aim for something a little different and are not afraid of a the shipping costs try Dharco.
    I have some of their gear, good quality.

junitrules
    Free Member

Thanks for the recommendations and info! Very helpful!

cinnamon_girl

If you’re looking for something more colourful have a look at Flare Clothing. Jerseys are great all year Nd I’ve got two pairs of the shorts. First ones that sit on the knee and don’t give me the dreaded knee pad/thigh shorts gap!

If I was going to wear clothing with a huge logo then I’d expect to get paid for advertising them! So, for that reason I’m ooooot.

To be honest, I buy as little as possible these days due to clothing getting absolutely trashed from tracks that haven’t been maintained for years as well as climbing over fallen trees.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Women's shorts and shoes – Christmas Dilemmas’ is closed to new replies.