Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • With Love from Selfridges
  • vinnyeh

An email from Selfridges kindly hints that I might like to help my wife celebrate Advent by buying her a Diptyque Advent Calendar. A snip at 300 quid. Presumably targeted at Catholics rather than Quakers
    When did advent calendars become such a thing?

When I was a kid, it was a piece of cardboard, with an innocent* picture behind each door, culminating in a Nativity scene on the 24th.
    Then there were chocolates, or bits of Lego, but now every bloody company seems to be inclined to mark advent with an expensive packaged box with 24 bits of tat behind doors. HAs this trend passed me by til now, or have I just been walking round with my eyes closed?
    What’s with the secular world wanting to hijack every last bit of religious occasion and turn it into a selling opportunity. Do they not have enough time in the rest of the year to create festivals to flog stuff?

*Depending on your feelings re religious imagery

stevied
    Free Member

Aimed at Dipstique’s with too much money..

plyphon
    Free Member

Late stage capitalism.

ads678

Lol @ stevied

theotherjonv

just for that phoney pretentious spelling, they can get right in the ciae

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

alas now closed

wwaswas

alas now closed

Dreams of becoming a fridge magnate shattered.

zilog6128

Awesome, thanks for the reminder OP – just remembered Asda are launching their cheese advent calendar this week! must get down there on thurs!

jam-bo

better choice.

wwaswas

I did think of dismantling a new fork or something as a diy advent calendar.

“I’ve no idea what it’s going to be dear, we’ll have to see what else is in there as December rolls on!”

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘With Love from Selfridges’ is closed to new replies.