Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Wish you had not bought a dropper
  • scruff
    Free Member

Just out of interest how did all you lot that think droppers are great run your seat post before you got a dropper?

Woods Height. Hurts my knees sat down uphill though.

weeksy

I want one now !!!!!

chico66
    Free Member

My dropper (KS LEV) cost more than my frame! Wouldn’t be without one

charliemort

Handy for getting under fallen trees…..

danielgroves
    Free Member

Nope. Loved mine (KS Supernatural 150).

hot_fiat

Wouldn’t be without one now. Properly awesome piece of kit that transformed my riding. The reverb button is my bike’s other, other gear lever.

ritchic
    Free Member

I haven’t got 1 I’ve thought About it but I seem to feel lost when I drop my seat down for the downhill bits. So I never drop it an it’s set reasonably high. I consider myself reasonably quick downhill but feel everyone must not be wrong having one. Did anybody feel they kind of used the saddle as something to push off/grip before they had a dropper. If so how do you find it now

stevede
    Free Member

Scott – details about the Thomson dropper here http://m.pinkbike.com/news/Thomson-Frame-and-Covert-Dropper-Seatpost-Core-Bike-2014.html due out in may, 125mm drop. Action slows down at temps close to zero apparently, I’m pretty sure I’ll be getting one anyway though.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I have a reverb on my full suss AM bike and would love one on my hard tail but as they don’t do a reverb suitable for it I just use the qr when I need to which isn’t often as I generally ride the most suitably equipped bike for the intended trails I am going to ride. They are definitely a must have luxury item 😆

jairaj

Absolutely love dropper posts. I was addicted to my dropper after 2 rides

Nobody needs one but they make riding so much more fun. Same as suspension and gears, people manage fine without them but most people prefer to have them as they make the riding more enjoyable.

booktownman
    Free Member

To the OP – I bought a Tmars on ebay for about £45. They’re ok for what they are but I really don’t think they are designed for the dubious pleasures of UK riding.

They’re very prone to water and general trail shite ingress and – in my experience – by the end of a long, wet ride start to behave unpredictably. You’ll need to strip and lube it regularly – not difficult.

I think on balance I’d rather have it than not, and I think it was worth the money but I’m now looking out for a second hand Reverb and the Tmars will end up on the hack.

deanfbm
    Free Member

I wouldnt ve without one. Even on my road commute to work.

Life long bmxer where every minute on a bike is play time.

A saddle is just a perch when you’re not riding anythong remotely fun, or saving yourself on a vig day out, right?

Goldigger
    Free Member

I keep looking at a reverb…but not sure its really suited to my anthem?
    I can’t help think that droppers are more suited to the likes or trail/downhill bikes rather than a full sus XC bike?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Wouldn’t be without mine now. It felt natural to use it on its first ride and is now just second nature to raise and lower it to suit the trail.

Having mucked about on DH bikes for too long, I hate riding run sections with my saddle up, it just gets in the way. In the past I used to faff with my post height loads which breaks up the flow hugely.

So far my reverb has been reliable and was easy to bleed. I’m paranoid about breaking the lever so run a right hand lever under the bars on the left where my front mech shifter used to be.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

Another vote for a reverb here.
    I would not be without mine now.

For years I have stopped lowered my saddle for the downs then put it sick up again.
    Also rode DH bikes for years with low seats and struggled to pedal anywhere.

One of the most useful inventions for mountain biking in my opinion.

stoddys
    Free Member

So the collective says yes they are great.
    If you can, don’t go cheap go reverb.

From reverb research it seems ones with silver had a problem, so go for an all black one second hand.

Have I missed anything?

JoeG
    Free Member

Have I missed anything?

Reverb isn’t the only good post on the market. KS Lev is good as well, and has fixed cable routing for the remote.

The Reverb hydraulic remote can be a plus or a minus. There is no cable to get gummed up (+) but they can need bled (-) and the remote lever is big $$$ to replace if damaged (-).

Thomson gets good reviews, put is pricey.

Some swear by Gravity Dropper; simple, reliable, and easy to maintain but FUGLY.

Bargain posts generally aren’t of the same quality as the leaders, but some are happy with them.

mcnultycop

My Lev has been in for repair since Christmas and it just arrived back yesterday. I’ve only ridden the FS (that the Lev is on) once in that period with a normal post as I just didn’t like the idea of riding without a dropper. This is after having the bike maybe 15 months before I even fitted a dropper.

I wouldn’t be without one on the FS, and am considering one for the HT too – even though the HT rarely sees any serious rough stuff.

smurfly13
    Free Member

If you are on a budget look at the RSP Plummet, or the Satori Sorata Pro (same post Satori are the manufacture)

Satori are the makers, and currently on eBay for £71.99!

Not as nice as a reverb but budget is sometimes key for some people (me!)

It is a copy of the gravity dropper with 3 heights simple spring and remote cable pin system. All metal inside with no plastic guides like the TMars.

It’s relatively new so not many reviews out there but what I can find all looks promising!

And I have done a fair bit of research on budget droppers (including a thread on here!)

scottfitz
    Free Member

stevede – Member

Scott – details about the Thomson dropper here http://m.pinkbike.com/news/Thomson-Frame-and-Covert-Dropper-Seatpost-Core-Bike-2014.html due out in may, 125mm drop. Action slows down at temps close to zero apparently, I’m pretty sure I’ll be getting one anyway though. Cheaper to get a new frame and a reverb I reckon. I’m sure KS, xfusion or Gravity dropper will follow at some point.

jairaj

I keep looking at a reverb…but not sure its really suited to my anthem?

Why not? I use mine more when riding XC trails rather than DH trails. If I’m riding DH then I just drop my post post and keep it there for the day. If I’m riding XC then I’m going up, down and over all kinds of things and in many situations its helpful to lower the post and in other situations its helpful to raise the post. This way you insure you have the best seat hight for whatever you are riding.

In wet slopppy situations I even lower my seat just for one dodgy looking corner, then raise it again when exiting the corner. Having the seat out the way allows the bike to move around under me and I have more confidence going with the slide if it happens.

kiwijohn

I’m quite happy without one thanks.

Northwind

stoddys – Member

If you can, don’t go cheap go reverb.

Or, one of the other high quality posts. TBH I don’t think I’d choose a reverb, they’re still pretty flaky and the hydraulics mean hassle and potentially big repair bills if you break a lever or hose… Really nice to use but not as real-world compatible IMO. If I break the cable on my KS posts, I can fix it with bits every bike shop in the world has for pounds, rather than waiting a week to get a £50 part then finding a bleed kit etc etc…

glasgowdan
    Free Member

kiwijohn – Member
    I’m quite happy without one thanks.

I assume you’ve not tried one yet? Don’t be stubborn! 😉 There is NO doubt that a dropper improves your ability to ride things more freely, increases your enjoyment on the bike and makes you faster.

messiah
    Free Member

The only downside of dropper ownership is wanting one on all the bikes you ride offroad.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

hydraulics mean hassle and potentially big repair bills if you break a lever or hose… Really nice to use but not as real-world compatible IMO.

I assume, therefore, that you are running cable discs.

tomhoward

I’m quite happy without one thanks

You’d be even happier with one.

Or would that just be too much happy?

chiefgrooveguru

Hydraulic brakes have more power and better feedback than cable brakes and self-adjust for pad wear. Why would any of those aspects be beneficial when actuating a dropper post?

Northwind

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Saw that one coming… Nope, I use hydraulic brakes because they have a performance advantage, and because the parts are more durable and less exposed.

The Reverb lever’s a deadly combination of delicate and piss-takingly expensive. If that weren’t the case, it’d be a better option.

Trimix
    Free Member

My reverb lever is mounted under the bar and has avoided all sorts of abuse.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The Reverb lever’s a deadly combination of delicate and piss-takingly expensive.

Really? Mine’s lasted very well, thanks, despite several stacks!

As to the advantages? Well, it just works better, IMO. It allows for an adjustable rebound (if that’s the right word!) on the post, is smooth and easy to use, doesn’t clog up with mud/grime and, so far, requires minimal maintenance.

GEDA
    Free Member

Still think the main advantage for me is sitting down more as I usually run my post low. It is a bit annoying and you loose the flow sometimes as you have to sit on the saddle to make the seat to go down instead of it just being lower all the time.

THEY ARE NOT A DROPPERS YOU PRESS THE BUTTON AND IT GOES UP! 🙂

Yes I know you do it to get it to go down as well but it is much easier to make it go up.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Had a reverb for just over a year, it’s been replaced once and serviced once under warranty (seals went), so not as reliable as i’d like but when working I like it.

I like the way I can set the max height of my post for best pedalling efficiency and not have to faff with a qr when it’s just not quite right. It’s just nice to have on the fly adjustments to seat height depending on the trail, not a necessity but very helpful.

Northwind

CaptainFlashheart – Member

It allows for an adjustable rebound (if that’s the right word!) on the post, is smooth and easy to use, doesn’t clog up with mud/grime and, so far, requires minimal maintenance.

Just ike a cable-actuated KS you mean? Cool!

scottfitz
    Free Member

THEY ARE NOT A DROPPERS YOU PRESS THE BUTTON AND IT GOES UP!

Agree erecting post is a better description than dropper post.

andyrm
    Free Member

Had one for a good couple of years now and wouldn’t be without it.

distanced0
    Free Member

New sorata pro here. First ride today and it is fantastic regardless of how good value it is. 598g all in is a very competetive weight too. Very smooth action, not to violent on the return and looks okay in matt silver (though the clamp housing is bulky) Switch sits atop the bar though. I can’t find anything on servicing though but perhaps through Raleigh? If it keeps working well I may swap out the remote for the CB Kronolog one running under bar. Oh one more thing is the supplied remote cable is on rhe short side if you have a long toptube and wide bars.

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Wish you had not bought a dropper’ is closed to new replies.