Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Wireless Network cameras and recording video
  • Pukeko
    Free Member

Hi, I need to monitor an outdoor area for an ‘experiment’ using a network camera. It’s difficult to run LAN cable to the area so wireless is preferred (essential really), and its outdoor so outdoor rated camera is needed. Mains electricity is easy to supply to camera area.

What I need to do is record a picture/snapshot about every 10min of the area being monitored over a 24 hr period.

Recommendations on suitable camera and software or method to do this would be appreciated.

I have a limited budget of £200 quid MAX for setup.

Cheers

sharkbait
    Free Member

Raspberry Pi £25
    SD card £5
    Edimax usb wifi adapter £10
    Power cable £5 (although you probably already have one)
    Raspberry Pi HD camera module £20
    Raspbian OS Free
    Fswebcam app Free

get the above, install the OS (dead easy and effectively 2 mouse clicks, install fswebcam (type “sudo apt-get install fswebcam”), run the app (type “fswebcam -d /dev/video0 -l 600 -s 10 -r 640×480 %m-%d–%h-%m-%s.jpg”)

This will take a picture every 10 mins and save the image with the date and time. You can change the period between pics by changing the “-l” setting which is the number of seconds between pics).

You would just need to put the whole thing in a weatherproof box. You could also run it off a battery. Total cost probably less than £100.

tinsy
    Free Member

I was just looking at CCTV this morning 200 gets you a full system but not wireless I dont think…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Wireless Network cameras and recording video’ is closed to new replies.