Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Winter road tubeless tyre recommendations?
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

Having got on well with the 23mm Schwalbe ONE tubeless on my summer road bike, I thought I’d stick some on the winter one.

Can’t get the straight ONE enaymore, so I ended up with the Pro ONE instead in 25mm.

Not getting on with them desperately well. They seem very slippy – plenty of damp climbs I end up spinning the back wheel up, and I’ve also had issues with locking the back under braking (not helped by the poor feel on my R685 discs). They seems far less grippy than the 23mm GP4000s I’d always used previously. Net result is that I have no confidence cornering on anything other than bone dry tarmac.

I’ve also picked up a few grit/flint punctures, which take ages to seal – the tyre won’t hold more than about 30 psi unless left for 24 hours, which makes getting home again painfully slow and somewhat bouncy. In 5 years of living in the Peaks and road riding all year, these are the only non impact related flats I’ve had.

I like the tubeless feel, but reckon I need something a bit grippier & tougher. Ideas?

(Not after anything bigger than a Schwalbe 25/Conti 28, as these are already by far the biggest road tyres I’ve used. I also need/want the bike to feel as sprightly as possible as the sheer speed and “zip” of a roadbike is a large part of what I enjoy. Big heavy tyres that dull that edge aren’t going to suit me)

Thanks!

TiRed

Any old stock original Schwalbe Ones in 25c about? I ran them last winter and need a new rear. Great ride and the front provided a lovely feel in 4 hrs of yesterday’s rain.

The new ones seem too fragile for winter.

Haze

Fusion 5 All Season?

I did have 25mm Pro One on my training wheels but had to switch to 23mm as that’s all I can fit in my ‘winter’ frame.

Not had them long but seem to holding up well, comfortable and no issues with grip that I’ve been made aware of yet!

angeldust
    Free Member

tick

onandon
    Free Member

I went back to tubes in Continental GP4000S II Folding instead of the pro ones I used. I didn’t like them and they were fragile to the extreme.
    The s- ones were a really good tyre and only a tad bigger if they’ll fit your frame.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Winter road tubeless tyre recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.