Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Winter road bike frame choice: Cotic X or Singular Peregrine ?
  • GasmanJim
    Free Member

As above.

Looking for something to transfer my old Ultegra groupset on to, with the addition of some cable discs or cantis / mini Vs, for autumn / winter use.

The Peregrine seems a bit more adaptable, for example the EBB means a switch to an Alfine 11 would be easy, but I suspect the Peregrine frame is heavier than the X frame.

Thoughts / recommendations.

What’s the build quality of the frames like?

Thanks.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Singular, lovely bikes. Love my swift, (even though i tried selling it to fund a gryphon)

I have also used bb7 road calipers on a few road sti’s and found them to work better than mini v’s

Digger90
    Free Member

I’ve had 3 Cotic’s and they are nicely made frames.

The X is both disc and Canti compatible so gives you some options there but unless you’re 100% sure of Alfine in future the Singular’s EBB would be unused dead weight.

Mind you, I’m biased, as I’m selling a brand new Cotic X, size 56cms for £300.

Pics below of Cotic’s frame build quality.

monkeyboyjc

personally i’d go with the Peregrine – but then again i’m biased towards Singular (owning a hummingbird) – the frame build quality is very good / as good as any alternative frame i’ve seen. The only frame warrenty problems Sam has had is with the cast dropouts failing on a couple of early swifts iirc.
    The EBB is not that heavy, all steel singulars are made from 4130 though so many be give Sam an email regarding frame weight if your that bothered – i run my hummingbird with an Alfine 11 and find the EBB much better (easier to set up) than that on my Cannondale Bad Boy (with a Alfine 8).

TBH i think you’d proberly be happy with either bike.

GasmanJim
    Free Member

Good advice / insight, thanks.

Digger, I’d be tempted to take that off your hands but I think I need a size smaller (I ride a 54cm Merlin Extralight usually), and I’d planned on getting the carbon fork (although I’ve read the Road CC review with it’s issues about the fork handling).

Alfine 11 is quite a likely possibility. I’ve got one on my winter mountain bike and I like it. The EBB isn’t a definite deal maker as I’m running the winter mountain bike with an Eccentric Components external EBB conversion and it works really well.

Hmmm. Tricky stuff. Might have to have a trip to Sideways, as I believe they sell both, and have a look at both frames.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Consider looks? My X doesn’t look out of the way with 25mm tyres. Not sure what the bigger clearances on the Singular would look like if you decide to run it as a road bike. I really like my X but should have bought the Peregrine for the Monster X look I now fancy. Can’t fault it though>

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Winter road bike frame choice: Cotic X or Singular Peregrine ?’ is closed to new replies.