Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Winter Riding Holiday – Any recommendations?
  • Abarthchris
    Free Member

So, it seems like I have an abundance of leave to use before the 1st Jan… so what better way to use it than a week away riding!

I’d be aiming for November sometime, and i fancy warm-ish weather and lots of descending. Has anyone used any companies to do a trip like this?

Switchbacks DH seem good but not cheap at around £550 plus flights for the week. I’d probably be on my own too, so I’ve got the option of either having a week away which ive sorted myself, or a proper guided trip.

What do you lot think? I’d probably have more fun with a guided trip if i’m on my billy lonesome…

Abarthchris
    Free Member

No recommendations? brilliant. thanks.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Keep bumping it mate…

I am in a similar position but can’t good near £550, something around £300 – £350 would work…

The is one over in Lagos on the Algrave i’m thinking about.

Will come back to this later when I have a little more time.

neil853
    Free Member

A few friends have been away with Joyriders and rave about them, more xc biased but I think they adapt holidays to suit

Yetiman
    Free Member

Ciclo Montana – great people, great food, great trails. The latest I’ve ever been is October but they guide all year round.

http://www.ciclomontana.com/

Trailseeker
    Free Member

I’m the same, three weeks to take before Xmas – looking at Spain but unsure what damage may have been done to the trails by the storms last week.

Mackem

Buy the Trailrider guide to spain and the Bikefax book to Southern Spain.
    Rent a cheap place in Alora or in the Alpujarras, cheap flight into malaga and you’ll have a great week.

ianv
    Free Member

I have been to both switchbacks DH and ride portugal on my own. You are more likely to be in a group with switchbacks. Both are good though.

Riding is probably harder in portugal and its a bit cheaper.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

No damage to the trails i use other than a few downed trees here and there. Malaga Cadiz http://www.allmountainventure.com

Abarthchris
    Free Member

Cheers guys, these all sound good!

I’m happy with travelling on my own, but its always better with mates. Especially as I’m accident prone and may need someone to call the ambulance 🙂

d45yth
    Free Member

You’re not going to find a guided holiday for £300, nothing that’s any good anyway. £500-600 is cheap, the companies that do fancy brochures are more like £800-1000 a week
    If you want something that cheap, the only thing would be do sort it out yourself. That might not be too good if you’re alone though.
    When budgeting, don’t forget things like getting to/from the airport (especially when you’re by yourself), things you might need that you haven’t got already and the extra cost of taking the bike. I though my first trip was quite cheap (£500), by the time I paid for the flights, bought a bike bag, spares (brake pads + tyre), travelling to airport plus parking…the costs soon stacked up. The other thing is if they’re all-inclusive. The one’s that aren’t may ending costing more by the time you’ve bought food.

Saying all that, I’ve heard good reports about Ciclomontana and I’ve just checked their prices! Much cheaper than I’d thought.
    Hope you get something sorted. Winter biking in the sun is excellent!

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

but unsure what damage may have been done to the trails by the storms last week.

All our trails are in superb shape after the storms.
    We cost just 480 Euros including transfers and free bar.
    Based right on the beach we have stunning singletrack rides with plenty of bus uplift during the day & fantastic après-bike on the coast at night.
    http://www.sierracycling.com fantastic biking since 1992.

mark@joy-riders.com
    Free Member

Thanks for the recommendation Neil.

As Neil says, we are more all mountain / technical xc rather than DH.

The trails here haven’t been affected by the storms. I have also just got back from riding in Sierra Nevada (Alpujarras) and they are in great condition too.. Although I shouldn’t be promoting the competition ;D

davidisaacs
    Free Member

We at
    http://www.bikingandalucia.com
    charge only 290 GBP for a week (+40 GBP return airport transfer) includes most things except evening meal (you can eat out cheaply, 10 EUROS or even cheaper self cater); I am confident that is as good value as you will find anywhere! Our trails survived the storms OK, we only got about half the rain received near Malaga and Murcia.

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

Riviera free ride was within your budget….have a look at they’re site..I had an epic week with them in June…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Winter Riding Holiday – Any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.