Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Winter layers
  • butcher

Just wondering what everyone layers up with during the winter months. I do a lot of riding across the moors, and when you factor in the (often strong) wind chill, temps of -20 degrees are not uncommon.

I’ve survived so far, usually in roubaix bibs which cover my torso a bit, a thick jersey, a gilet, and a light jacket. But there are times when I could do with additional comfort.

I did buy an Aldi base layer last year, but found it just made things worse by soaking up all my sweat and holding it next to my skin, perfectly conducting the icy cold temps. This year I have a thin merino base layer from On-One, which will hopefully be an improvement.

Most temps I’m OK with generally. This is for extremes. Icy cold rain, and super sub-zeros. What works for you?

Mackem

For REALLY cold/windy conditions – base layer (my favourite is a 10 euro Decathlon thing). Thick Merino cycling shirt. Endura Gilet and a Water/wind proof on top. Most of the time I dont need the top layer.

For down below a Fox 3/4 length thermal layer and a full length tight on top always does the job.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I wear Endura bib tights, they are more neoprene ish than roubaix I guess and I think they are wind stopper too a summer riding t-shirt, gore tex jacket, lidl gloves, skull cap, m&s wool socks, normal spd shoes.

Always toasty warm down to about -10. In fact often too warm to about -5

Edit: do you wear a hat (for warmth) makes a huge difference to overall body warmth.

ton

I find walking clothes better than cycling gear.
    rab merino/bamboo base, north face long sleeve manmade base on that, with a windproof top layer.
    warm as heck.

cinnamon_girl

For wind chill nothing beats Windstopper!

My current ‘garment of the year’ is a Gore Bike Wear Windstopper base layer with zipped neck. Actually I overheated. This could compete with merino, it definitely didn’t get damp like merino tends to.

My Windstopper jacket with a fleecy inside keeps me warm and is much used.

Windstopper tights are brilliant. Head, hands and feet – do they get cold?

butcher

For wind chill nothing beats Windstopper!

I should probably add, it’s not so much when I’m riding. I feel OK then. It’s worst when I stop or slow down. Which is kinda obvious. But cafe stops nearly kill me. By the time I’ve sat down for 5 minutes with a cup of coffee I’m shivering and my teeth are chattering. It takes some of the fun out of it when you’re that cold.

Just bought overshoes for my feet, and I have loads of gloves. Mainly interested in keeping my body warm.

Northwind

Kneepads (for knee warmers) and my altura attack waterproof shorts (also windproof), above the waist usually a simple baselayer and either softshell or waterproof top- I don’t need more to stay warm for some reason.

If you’re doing stop-start riding then relatively non-windproof stuff can be really good, it warms you up at a standstill but is nicely “ventilated” when you ride off.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I’ve taken to stuffing a spare base layer into my back pocket/rucksack. Changing over during a cafe stop makes such a difference.

jonba
    Free Member

Winstopper tights. Polypropylene base layer, second base layer if needed, jersey, waterproof.

Never been a fan of merino for riding although my most used winder base layer is a smartwool one. Love it, got it in the sale, can’t bring myself to spend rep on a new one.

cinnamon_girl

As regards cafe stops then another layer is essential in your pack. I would also suggest a spare pair of gloves and buff to replace the probably damp ones that you’ve been wearing. Same could be said for base layer, depending on whether it’s damp obviously.

Sandwich

In very cold weather, merino under paramo jacket on top, thermolite bibs and socks with MW81 boots. Toasty.

onandon
    Free Member

Usually for -10 I’d be in a HH base layer on top with a mavic inferno jacket ( best jacket ever)
    On the bottom some longs with a pair of endura winter cruisers over the top with defeet socks and nike acg thermal trail shoes.
    Gloves, that would be either gore so power or pearl Izumi elite softshell

This year I treated myself to some mavic inferno bibs which if they are anything like the jacket will be all I need.

gren
    Free Member

Merino base and Gore Phantom windstopper softshell on top. Singletrack trousers if its very cold otherwise shorts.

Buff and skullcap help as well.

MSP

If its for cafe stops, something like a rab neutrino gilete, montane prism vest or equivalent (I saw that rapha had some insulated gilete recently, tad pricey as is the norm with rapa though).

Down will pack down smallest and lightest, but synthetic if there is a likelyhood it might get damp.

For baselayers, if you have a problem with baselayers getting damp, avoid merino, it holds water far worse than man made fibres. Look at something like the craft warm base layers, man made hollow fibres, so they have the insulation properties of merino, but wick and dry better.

iainc

for coldest night rides – thick hiking socks and defrosters, dhb roubaix bib longs, singletrack shorts (or Altura Attack if wet), warm base layer (either the thick HH merino mix one, or a 260 wt Icebreaker merino), Endura Stealth. I’ll have a Gore gilet in my bag too. Buff under helmet and winter Gore gloves. That works down to minus 10, ice and snow. If its closer to zero, then thinner hiking socks, a lighter base layer and less bulky gloves. If it’s between about 2 and 7 degrees, then the Stealth goes and is replaced with Endura Windchill

MSP

Also remember that to wick effectively you want base layer – mid layer – (soft)shell. Just using say a base layer then cycling jersey with a softshell over the top won’t work as effectively at wicking and keeping you dry.

My favourite combo would be man made hollow fibre (craft) baselayer – power stretch mid layer (I have a berghaus one) – power shield softshell jacket (montane hyena for me).

The materials are more important than the make as far as working as a layered system, the make is important for finding what fits you.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Some great tips there, saving this thread 😉

tang
    Free Member

For long cold rides I always pack a lightweight primaloft hooded Patagonia jacket, spare base and socks(compacts to nothing and weighs little)This covers a lunch stop or a mechanical. For the ride; roubaix tights, long sleeve hollow fibre base layer then fleece backed windstopper. Windchill is the one to prevent!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

+1 for an insulated gilet.

Works well as an extra layer for stops but also good for extra insulation under a wind / waterproof outer layer. Weigh next to nothing too.

Finisterre stuff is superb, if pricy – worth getting on their mailing list for offers. I’ve got one of their first generation Bise gilets and probably wear it more than any other item of clothing I own. Really versatile bit of kit.

http://www.finisterreuk.com/shop/mens/clothing/mens-outerwear/bise-midnight.html

chakaping
    Free Member

This is for extremes. Icy cold rain, and super sub-zeros. What works for you?

I don’t stop at cafes when it’s like that!

TooTall
    Free Member

If you are out in the very coldest, a Montane Extreme jacket or smock would be my choice over just a base layer. They are like a fully-evolved Buffalo smock, cheaper and tough as you can get. My jacket is now 16 years old and still the best thing for real midwinter riding.

dragon
    Free Member

Avoid merino as a baselayer, as mentioned above it just soaks up sweat and can feel cold and heavy. I do find however that merino can work well as a mid-layer when over a decent synthetic baselayer.

Get a decent windproof, and also don’t stop as it’s then that you’ll get cold.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Winter layers’ is closed to new replies.