Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Winter Jackets
  • oddjob
    Free Member

I am looking for a winter jacket for cold and sh1tty days, I want something more roady than mtb-y so I have been looking at the Rapha softshell (I have the lightweight one, but it is not quite up to the job) and the Assos wind proof 851 one.

I'd rather not spend quite that much if I can avoid it, but I want something that does the job well
    Windproof (I like windstopper goretex type stuff)
    water resistant
    warm
    well made.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

oddjob
    Free Member

So you all use Rapha or Assos then?

cinnamon_girl

Have always been very happy with Gore. Not cheap but you get what you pay for. Don't expect Windstopper to be waterproof in a seriously heavy downpour. The waterproof Paclite ones are just a shell and tear easily if you crash.

You'll need to ask the guys about the other Gore stuff cos us girlies only get a limited range.

belgianbob

I'm listening in on this one too: I have a SHEDLOAD of jackets, but nothing that keeps me warm AND dry when it's shi**y weather and I'm hammering round the woods.
    Oh, and I don't have the cash for Assos these days (credit crunched, sadly…)
    FWIW, the nearest I come to it is a light helly or similar base layer, long sleeved jersey and a pertex windshirt, which keeps me toasty but doesn't boil me to death when it's not raining/sleeting, but isn't very waterproof. Or waterproof at all, really.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

I have a Gore Bike Wear jacket but can't for the life of me remember the model name. It's only Windstopper fabric but it'll definitely keep out most rain, except a prolonged downpour. The fit is not uber-road tight but also not really baggy.

The negative points? A year on I don't like how the zips are starting to sound/feel and for some reason there is a strip on the top of the arms which is a different material which isn't as wind/waterproof so you feel slighly colder here and it'll be the first place to get wet in that prolonged downpour.

On the whole though it's a decent peice of kit…sorry I can't remember the model name. 🙁

traildog
    Free Member

I also like Gore. I have a phantom 2 jacket and it's pretty good. It's well made, keeps the cold wind out and also has removable sleeves which I've hardly used. The rear pockets are nice and large on it. I wear it without a base layer most of the time and put a base on if it's really cold. It's a bit difficult to get nasty niffys out of it and the cut could do with being a bit closer round the belly, but I believe the Xenon is more like this so I'll look at this in future. But I like it and it's lasted me well and I wear it often.
    I certainly won't pay Rapha type prices as I'd worry about it getting damaged even if I just wore it on my road bike.

vinnyeh

Gore Phantom here, and if you do a search on 'Phantom' you'll find a lot of recommendations. There's a couple of similar ones they do, can't remember the names, which differ in the cut and pockets, depending on whether they're road/xc/fr etc.

FWIW I've got the Rapha lightweight softshell as well, and the Phantom is definitely a step up in terms of functionality and protection.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Gore Phantom or Gore Oxygen??????????

mefty
    Free Member

Try Exteonde, they make some really good clothing which is close to assos quality

FuzzyWuzzy

I have a Gore Phantom for when it's cold/windy but not much rain and an Endura Stealth for when it's really cold or lots of rain. The Stealth doesn't breath as well but I find if only have a merino base layer on underneath then I can cool down quickly by opening the zip (although that doesn't do much for waterproofing :p ).

Gary_M
    Free Member

The rapha softshell certainly ticks the windproof, quality, water resistant boxes but I don't find mine very water resistant at all. If I knew I was going to be riding in the rain then I'd wear something else. It's a great jacket though and it may shrug off a light shower but that's it.

I use a gore fusion jacket for commuting, which is fantastic but not very 'roadie'.

There is the new rapha rain jacket but not too sure how warm it is. If it’s anything like the original stowaway jacket, not the current thin one, then it should be warm enough for you.

aP
    Free Member

I've got a decade old assos winter jacket ('windstopper type' front with fleece back) which has been very good. If its wet I put a gillet over the top.
    I also have the rapha winter jersey which is nice but not very windproof.
    I also have a northwave windstopper N2S jacket which is good for when moving but has very limited insulation if you do stop for more than a couple of minutes.

funkynick

For cold and wet weather I'd go with my Paramo Velez smock every time… and I'm rather liking the look of their new Quinto jacket too, but I might have to save up for that.

Clink

For cold and wet weather I'd go with my Paramo Velez smock every time… and I'm rather liking the look of their new Quinto jacket too, but I might have to save up for that.

How cold does it have to be? I used to have one of their mountaineering jackets and it ran hot!

Del

do a search, cos one of the 'gore chaps' was on here the other week, explaining the fit of the different ranges. if the garment name begins with 'p' it's one fit, 'o' another, etc. etc.

mrmo
    Free Member

i have old Assos windblock jacket that keeps on going, but at the current prices i wouldn't replace like for like,

gingerflash

I love my Gore Cosmos softshell. Very warm and waterproof in all but the heaviest longest rain, in which case (if it's cold enough) I'd wear a shell over the top. Alternatively, spray or wash on a DWP-type coating every now and then and it's all but fully waterproof.

Endura Stealth looks excellent for a waterproof, windproof, roadie-cut softshell. Nice looking and cheaper than Assos or Rapha.

+ 1 for the Stealth – it's a great biking jacket

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Sorry, slight hijack 😉 Been following this thread with interest.
    To all the Stealth wearers. How durable is the jacket with regards to brambles and possible tumbles. Looking at getting one on Wednesday but it's alot of money to pay if it tears easily.

Not fallen off wearing mine, but seems to be holding up to brambles fine.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Me and a few mates were all in Gore gear on Saturday. We all came off at the same bit (it was pretty funny but you probably needed to be there). Pretty major falls but my Gore Alp X jacket was fine. Mate's Cosmo was also fine, and other guy's Phantom II had a slight hole from hitting something that actually went through both layers and into his skin. Believe me, it was brutal and there's no way that'll tear now – I know cos I've done the same to my 5 year old Phantom and it's still fine. I highly recommend them.

Farmer_John
    Free Member

Gore Fusion II here – seriously well made piece of kit with some nice finishing touches e.g. a longer than usual whale tail at the back.

glynP
    Free Member

Endura do a new jacket with a stealth type front with a fleecy rear, last months mag gave it a great write up, just cant remember the name.

lakesrider
    Free Member

glynP – is it the endura windchill?

Looks like a great jacket, and a lot cheaper than the Phantom… BUT…

Check it carefully before you buy one, i looked at some the other week and all the ones in the shop (5 or 6 of them) all had dodgy stitching on the cuffs which unravelled at the slightest tug.

glynP
    Free Member

Well mine is ok and Endura have just replaced my Event jacket after 5 years I cant say enough about them a superb company.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

i have regularly crashed my stealth jacket and can confirm its very durable. Great piece of kit highly reccomended. windchill is great also

UK-FLATLANDER

I got a Paramo Vasco Jackets, from these guys http://www.actionoutdoors.co.uk/shop/paramo-vasco-jacket-p-1236.html. Been very good on the bike, walking and wearing about town.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Mountainhardwear transition superpower jacket

or MH transition jacket

These are very very good and around £140- 160

Dirtynap
    Free Member

I use a northface Goretex XCR jacket, to keep dry and can zip the windstopper when its blowing a gale. Cost me £80 for the set last year. Only thing is its too small for me now and one of lower draw strings has broken. But it does have a life time warranty so northface will fix it for free.
    the good thing about it is the storm flap which stops crap going up and under inside. I'll have to invest in a new one but at £140 they aren't cheap anymore.

one thing to note is wearing a windstopper and goretex over the top does keep you dry from elements but you get wet from your own sweat when cycling, as the fabric just can't cope. Still at least you stay warm.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i find the endura stealth copes well with exertion without getting sweaty inside (compared to cheap jackets)

trail_rat
    Free Member

oh and FWIW my favorite not pouring with rain but slightly damp and windy is my aldi special !

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I use my Endura Stealth all year – its the only jacket I have. Not totally waterproof in the heaviest of downpours but waterproof enough. It's got very good core temp control with big pit zips and is reasonably breathable. Even with temperatures well below zero I only wear two thin baselayers and a microfleece underneath

For durability it is excellent. It's been out twice a week or more for 18 months, although sometimes in the pack. Have had many crashes and is still pretty much unscathed. Can't comment on brambles because there aren't any where I ride.

lowey

Just been riding lately in an Endura Fusion soft shell. Very warm, I wear it next to skin, however, I should imagine with a base layer it would be roasting. Water beads off it, but I havent yet been out in a full on rain storm, plus I have a Goretex Paclite jacket for that anyway.

oddjob
    Free Member

I think the endura stealth is looking promising at the moment, but I think what I really "need" is the assos 851 airjack…
    I suppose another option is to put a fleece on under the Rapha lightweight softshell and live with that, but it does seem to get really sweaty in there and then I get cold quite quickly 🙁

monkeychild
    Free Member

I use a softshell and have a paclite for when it hoofs it down.

BadlyWiredDog

Gore Bike Wear Windstopper soft shell on the road – sorry, can't remember which model, but close fitting and ace for anything except biblical deluge scenarios – the Windstopper fabric is effectively waterproofs, but the seams aren't taped, so it'll leak there eventually. Use lots of Gore Bike Wear stuff on the road, doesn't have the silly Assos price tag, but works better than most of the cheaper stuff out there.

Off road, Paramo Velez smock is fantastic in really cold conditions – very breathable, a bit warmer than a standard wind or waterproof and with massive core vents plus you can roll up the sleeves to expose your forearms for more cooling.

woffle
    Free Member

I've got the lightweight softshell too and as I 'run hot' it's the best thing I've found. I've tried eVent/ goretex / paclite etc and found that they might keep the rain off but I sweat too much to make them worthless as waterproofs. If it's really cold I'll layer up with merino wool baselayers and if it's really tipping down I'll stick on a gilet to help keep my trunk warmer/dryer and lessen any wind cutting through.

I found I couldn't get anything that was breathable enough in the wet to be really waterproof and comfortable (and personally, if I'm riding in heavy rain for longer than 15 minutes I'm going to get properly wet, regardless of what I'm wearing). I'd rather wear layers that breathe and dry out quicker…

(EDIT: actually, for when it was -9 and some light snow last year I wore a Rab fleece-lined smock which is showerproof but VERY warm)

Aidan
    Free Member

I've got an Endura Stealth and it's not very waterproof after less than a year of use. In decent rain, it absorbs lots of water and becomes very heavy. I'm going to see how well a wash in Nikwax will go, but I'm a bit disillusioned with soft shells now.

It is very warm/windproof, though. I used mine in -20C with just a merino base layer (but I do run quite hot).

FuzzyWuzzy

You need to start reproofing it after you've washed it a few times, I use Nikwax on my Stealth now every second wash and it's still waterproof

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Winter Jackets’ is closed to new replies.