Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Winter Gloves – SealSkinz Extreme Cold Weather Cycle Gloves
  • fourbanger
    Free Member

Anyone used these?
    Seriously cold hands last winter really spoilt my ridding. I want the warmest things I can get
    Views? Alternatives?
    Cheers!

Shorty121
    Free Member

I am looking at them also

MussEd
    Free Member

Had this problem last night and it wasn’t even that cold. Merino liners under normal gloves, hands were sore just waiting on pals faffing about for 10 minutes at the start of our ride. Maybe turning up 10 minutes late will be a better solution…

steelfan
    Free Member

I just bought some sealskinz winter handle bar lobster mitten from wiggle. Super warm so far but I’m waiting for the temp to really drop.
    Sealskinz winter handle bar lobster mitten

fourbanger
    Free Member

I’m guessing everyone is either:
    a) hard as nails and don’t ride with gloves in winter
    b) just don’t ride in winter…..

AndrewBF
    Free Member

Sealskinz with a merino base layer inserts here. I like the look of those lobsters though 🙂

cullen-bay
    Free Member

get them a size big, they are quite small… XXL is too small for my hands now…

robgarrioch

Used to get fingers so painful I’d feel like throwing up, until I got a pair of these last year. Very, very good, though I’ve found I can only use them in pretty much sub-zero conditions, otherwise too warm. Bit of care needed when removing to avoid separating the liners, which I’ve never found to be a problem. Buy ’em, improve winter cycling no end 🙂

(though, if you get quite sweaty hands, be extra-aware of the liners issue..)

scraprider
    Free Member

agree with robgarrioch, very very good , get the next size up , you will not regret the extra cost , they will piss over the rest.

MussEd
    Free Member

Robgarrioch & scraprider – What gloves are you two recommending again?

scraprider
    Free Member

http://www.sealskinz.com/active-range/cycling/extra-cold-weather-cycle-gloves-with-gel

they are good mate , dont forget to get the bigger size.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Aldi’s skiing gloves. fiver. bosh.

samuri
    Free Member

sealskinz windproof gloves with inner wool liners.
    It’ll never get cold enough to need anything more in Britain.

Tenuous
    Free Member

I’m guessing everyone is either:
    a) hard as nails and don’t ride with gloves in winter
    b) just don’t ride in winter….

I ride in an old pair of Frank Thomas motorbike winter gloves when it’s really cold, they are toasty on a bicycle. Mind you, still running Gripshifts so not sure how they’d cope with thumb shifters :p

Northwind

Fox Antifreezes- the newer model with the 2-part design- are ace. I didn’t like the padded feel of the Sealskinz palms though that’s not really a criticism, just a personal taste thing. The Antifreezes are just like regular gloves, only a little thicker and an awful lot warmer. Plus, on those halfway-days you can use just the outer for a warm-ish, windproof layer.

woffle
    Free Member

Another fan of the sealskins here – wore then through last winter’s worst snow and regular subzero temperatures with no problems at all. The lining’s can separate which some people find unbearable but as I only tend to put them on at the beginning of the ride and only take them off again when I’m done it’s never been an issue for me.

As mentioned ^^ they can get sweaty when it’s not that cold though.

robgarrioch

These appear to be the slightly updated versions of the ones I have – can’t go wrong at that price either.

robgarrioch
    SSBonty
    Free Member

Great gloves, love them down to about -15 here in Helsinki, at -18 or lower you still get nippy fingers when riding to and from the trails in the open… However, my pair have one where I can’t get the damn lining back in place no matter what I do, which is dead annoying cos they’re in great condition and were wearing well despite a reasonable amount of usage. I prefer these with a decent amount of palm padding to the less padded sealskinz ones, but then I prefer more to less padding for most of my bike gloves. If anyone has any ideas how to get the lining back in place I’d be very grateful, I can invert it, get my fingers fully into the inner lining, and wear that like a glove, but trying to push my hand and fingers back into the outer fingers just doesn’t want to go for some reason, are there actually 3 layers or something? Will be ordering another pair even despite this if I can’t get them to work…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

have the extra cold weather ones got a merino liner inside as well? or can you still use the seal skinz merino wool liner gloves as well if need be?

chriswilk
    Free Member

Samuri,

what about the night ride I did last year when it was -15 at my house, probably -20 on the hill, then wind chill on top of that!

It was only that cold for a week though, and it was a special winter

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Winter Gloves – SealSkinz Extreme Cold Weather Cycle Gloves’ is closed to new replies.