Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Will the snow have gone in the high Alps by end of June?
  • jhw
    Free Member

Given the amount of snow this year (which still appears to be falling…?)

jd-boy
    Free Member

NO

stevomcd
    Free Member

Depends why you're asking! All but the very highest trails will be rideable, and almost all the road passes will be open by the end of June. Snow line on all aspects is now around 2000m (from a quick look out of the window!) and patchy higher than that on South slopes.

On the other hand, if you're going into the high mountains for glacier travel, etc. then there will still be plenty of snow!

mrmo
    Free Member
    jhw
    Free Member

Thanks – I'm heading to Chamonix for riding, mainly altitude seems to be between 2K and 2.5K – I'm sure it'll be fine

stevomcd
    Free Member

Thanks – I'm heading to Chamonix for riding, mainly altitude seems to be between 2K and 2.5K – I'm sure it'll be fine

Should be fine – you'll come across the odd snow patch in sheltered hollows at altitude, but nothing that'll spoil your riding.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

mrmo, climbed up to croix de cour on savolyres about a week ago, had to push for a couple of mins where the piste crossed the road, the rest was clear, loads of snow on the north facing side though.

juan
    Free Member

and almost all the road passes will be open by the end of June

I think the very important word here is ALMOST.
    Temperatures have drop quite a bit in the last fortnight it has snowed 60 cm in chamonix, all local col and passes will probably remained at least covered in snow if not close for the summer. Cross fingers, but the motorcycle season looks like compromised 🙁

jhw
    Free Member

oh, that doesn't sound good…! Do you think it's likely to have cleared up around the Col de Balme/L'Index lift etc. (c.2,500m alt.) by late June then or am I stuck riding below the treeline?

landrylapwing
    Free Member

late June is as good as anytime for stuff at 2500m to be clear, there'd certainly be no advantage to waiting any later. It can snow down to 2000m any and every month of the year. In the Tarentaise the snow is actually really high up for this time of year. There's nothing to stress over at this point for sure, I'm sure you'll have fun and be fine.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Temperatures have drop quite a bit in the last fortnight it has snowed 60 cm in chamonix, all local col and passes will probably remained at least covered in snow if not close for the summer.

I think that's very unlikely. The current weather isn't particularly unusual (much like May 2 years ago, which followed a much snowier winter).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Will the snow have gone in the high Alps by end of June?’ is closed to new replies.