Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Will a cadence magnet on my Stages crank affect the power sensor?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

So I want to compare the output from my Stages crank with the virtual power in trainerroad (based on speed/cadence).

I haven’t tried it yet and haven’t really thought too greatly about it, but I have attached the magnet for the cadence sensor on the crank below the power sensor box on the crank.

Is there any reason why the cadence magnet would affect the Stages?

I have not tried it yet so have no reason to suspect it would, but just a thought.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I don’t know the fine details of the stage crank but it’s just a strain gauge isn’t it? Should be fine.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

presuming you still have your LH crank arm, just swap it out? 30 second job

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I don’t want to swap the stages on and off. I want to do a comparison between the stages and virtual power for the same workout.

So the cadence/speed sensor will transmit to my Garmin dongle on the laptop (Trainerroad) and the Stages will transmit to my Garmin 500 simultaneously. I’ll then compare the data from both.

The strain gauge/battery cover on the Stages limits where I can zip tie the magnet for the cadence sensor.

DT78
    Free Member

Put the cadence sensor and magnet on the drive crank arm?

DanW
    Free Member

At the risk of asking a daft question, why is cadence important? Vitual Power is calculated using the speed only.

bob_summers

^ this.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Cadence isn’t important, I didn’t read or figure that it wasn’t needed for virtual power. So assumed I still needed it. That simplifies matters!

I assume the speed bit will still transmit, even if there’s no cadence being senses? Its a combined speed/cadence sensor.

Suppose I can try that one for myself.

DanW
    Free Member

No problem just using that sensor for speed.

If you did ever want cadence too, maybe to compare to the Stages cadence for some reason, and still have clearance issues then the best solution is to buy a small bit of magnetic material for about £1 on ebay and glue it on to the very end of the crank, beyond the pedal. If you put heli-tape on the crank, then glue the small magnet on to the heli-tape then you won’t strip any paint or damage the cranks. It also helps with using that sensor generally since it is quite tough sometimes to get the speed magnet and cadence magnet lined up with the sensor using the stock magnets

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Thats a cool suggestion Dan! I might try that!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Will a cadence magnet on my Stages crank affect the power sensor?’ is closed to new replies.