Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Wide fitting SPD shoes?
  • dooge
    Free Member

Hey all,

after years of riding flat pedals and recently going to a do it all bike Im looking at SPDs.

I have wide feet and generally end up going for casual shoes bigger than they need to be to get a comfortable width but Id like something that fits right to alleviate possible foot ache. Being clipped in Im guessing that my feet will be in a different position to my flats.

Can anyone recommend any particular makes/models? My local bike shops dont carry many in stock (although I havent looked at their options yet) and I dont want to spend more than £50 if possible.

dang100
    Free Member

i’ve got quite wide feet (too wide for shimano, at least) and spiuk or northwave seem to suit me.

dooge
    Free Member

Thanks Dang, pretty sure Ill have to buy online and Shimano would have been one of the choices!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Got some wide Mo80 shimanos and they work for me

dannyh
    Free Member

Shimano AM41/45 (can’t remember which is the spd one). Best shoes I’ve ever had. Warm enough for winter with some thermal socks, ok in the summer. Tough as, well, err, boots.

tehtehtehteh
    Free Member

Sidi do different widths

sillyoldman

Shimano do the M089 in a wide fit – older versions were offered in wide too, so you might be able to pick up a deal on the out going M088 in wide.

ton

i have huge ogre sized feet.
    sidi dominator mega…….ace but so pricey
    shimano am45………best shoe ever.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

+1 for disco slippers. Sadly the winter boot only comes in narrow.
    Lake come in wide fittings,and I mean w i d e.
    Click and collect from Halfords online.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

As already mentioned AM45. I have found them great for my hobbit feet.

crush83
    Free Member

I have wide feet and I have started using Mavic Alpine XL shoes. Well comfy once broken in

mjsmke

Specialized MTB Comp for my wide/square feet. I spent weeks trying different brands like North Wave, Shimano wide fit, Sidi but they all go too narrow and pointy at the toes.

mrwalker
    Free Member

@mjsmke Could I ask where you bought them? I couldn’t find any wide fitting Specialized shoes online.

@suburbanreuben I couldn’t find any wide fitting Lake ones either. Any pointers?

bones
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat, dooge. Just ordered these using the shim code for 10% off. Should arrive tomorrow.

egb81
    Free Member

Specialized for my wide, flat feet. Comfy straight from the box.

PhilO
    Free Member

Keen are the only manufacturer I’ve found whose wares get close to the shape of my feet. Unfortunately, they stopped making SPD shoes just before I made that discovery… I think I got the last pair of size 42.5 in Europe!

I’ve had some ok experience with Spesh, but they seem to have switched to a narrower pointy last recently.

MrNice
    Free Member

“wide” fittings are often high volume as well, i.e. high instep. Good for some people but not for all. In shimano’s range the more casual looking shoes use a wider/deeper last than the disco slippers (it’s all on the website). Lake tend to have a slightly wider fit even in the normal fitting.

rewski
    Free Member

Bontrager seem good, they have a 30 day money back returns policy too

jairaj

Shimano are on the narrower side but do a few models in a wider fitting.

Specialized came out wide when I tried them on.

DM52
    Free Member

Sidi (although you have to pay for it mind) have the widest fit for me I have found with their ‘Mega’ width shoes. I went through Lake, Shimano wide fit, Specialized and Bonty before ending up with the Sidi’s.

Just try before you buy, the CRC returns policy for ill fitting stuff is well easy to use especially if there is a collect + location nearby.

nickdavies

Shimano wide fit is all i’ve found that works. I’m a ‘G’ apparently which is extra extra wide or something in my work shoes, can get in spesh shoes but I split them in 6 months where the ball of my foot splits the upper from the last.

Can only get them in a limited amount of shoes though, so I stick to the M088 and the road equivalent.
    I’d really like them to do a walking boot in the wide fit though, i’m sick of going through a set of cleats in a weekend on a big mountain ride, not to mention the fun with wet rocks…

Onzadog
    Free Member

I found sidi wide, northwave and magic all too narrow. Ended up with Giroux hv. My feet are wide but low volume, however thecgiro come with different instep supports so managed to find the right fit.

mikemorini
    Free Member

Anyone tried the Giro Privateer or Terraduro HV.
    Very wide feet and a high instep here.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Wide fitting SPD shoes?’ is closed to new replies.