Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Whyte 905 2014 (650b) Or second hand full squisher £1400!? BIG QUESTION
  • Alright lads and ladies,

Facing a bit of a dilemma, i’m a full suspension boy, through and through, but the decision is getting harder and harder wether i should stick with full sus or take the plunge and go for a new shiny 650b HT.

Having looked on PB and on here, i’m looking at 2011 Orange Five territory for that sort of budget, or i could, through a friend of mine, get a new Whyte 905 for £1200, leaving me with £200 for a Reverb. Is it worth signing up to the 650b bandwagon!?

I usually ride Local trails, which is loam, smooth, off camber and plenty of berms

But occasionally venture to bike parks such as cannock and chicksands,

Whyte pic below:

http://www.whytebikes.com/2014/product.php?xProd=102&xSec=112

What do you think is best for my budget?

Toby

didgerman
    Free Member

I’ve got the 901, very pleased with it. Spend your spare change on a mavic charge tyre for the front before you upgrade the fork. Need a decent mud tyre for the back at the moment, not readily available..
    Fit a dropper?

fozzybear
    Free Member

Why not add £400 and get both?
    My lbs are selling -Giant trance X 2’s for £1800 and less for cash.
    **** lovely bike for the money.
    Fox,
    650b
    Ticks loads of boxes
    linky

choppersquad
    Free Member

Someone I know got a mint condition 2013 whyte 146 for that and it’s bloody gorgeous.

cynic-al
    Free Member

“full suspension” boy gets sucked in by 650B marketing SHOCKER!

Why on earth would you?

xiphon
    Free Member

It makes the trail come alive cynic-al, haven’t you heard?

granny_ring

Demo one before you decide, especially if you’ve been used to riding fs for a while.

chum3
    Free Member

Will you still have your old FS? If so, getting a HT is much less of a risk.

Having rencently got a HT off the back of riding FS exclusively for 4 years, I’m really enjoying it, but I’m riding terrain that suits it… It did take me a few weeks for my body to adjust, both to geometry, peddling style and the impacts your back end up taking. There was one point where I thought I made a mistake in getting it, as my back was pretty uncomfortable, but it adapted (or I adapted my riding style)

If I’m heading to some more rugged terrain, I’m right back on my FS though.

variflex
    Free Member

If you can get a 2014 Whyte 905 for that kind of money go for it as there wont be many left come end of Feb or march due to the excellent write ups in the mags and value for money. Same thing happened with the T129S when it came out, the mags loved it so it went out of stock really quickly.

A friend demo’d the 909 (same frame) and reckoned it was the dogs dangles down hills and totally out ripped his OJ Five and other bikes.

Great response! Thanks guys, think I might demo one and hang onto the blur for a while. Slightly apprehensive to take the leap straight to ht!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Whyte 905 2014 (650b) Or second hand full squisher £1400!? BIG QUESTION’ is closed to new replies.