Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Why should I use bolt-on rotors rather than centre locks?
  • gogg
    Free Member

Always had bolt-ons, have picked up a cheap 650b frame from my LBS and thought I’d have a play over the next few weeks building my new ride from scratch.

Decided I’m going to have a dabble at building my own wheels (little bit of time on my hands and I think it could be either therapeutic in a zen concentration way, or very frustrating. Currently debating which way to go with hubs, 6 bolt or centrelock? I’m fitting a nice set of XT brakes that I got on a good deal from the LBS and just wondering which way to go with the hubs?

Opinions please…?

jamiep
    Free Member

ability to swap bits between bikes?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Can I suggest that if you have already bought the brakes, then that should dictate which hubs to go for?

gogg
    Free Member

It’s a consideration I guess, but really it’s only the rotors that aren’t transferable isn’t it.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

could be either therapeutic in a zen concentration way, or very frustrating

yep, can be both. enjoy.

Re centrelock or bolt? recent new wheel build saw a bolt on disc at the back. then I bought a front but the one that came up was center lock.

Its near to be fair. Wish I’d got a center lock for the rear but its too late now plus Ive not got disc swapability in case something happens to the “important” one.

gogg
    Free Member

Bought brakes, but not discs. It’s been a gradual accumulation of components. A bit like not buying too much fertiliser at once when bomb-making!

😉

gogg
    Free Member

yep, can be both. enjoy.

Thanks Luke, I am looking forward to it.

Any opinion on difference between how the two types of disc/rotors perform?

Northwind

I quite liked my centrelocks, very quick to change but it ties you into just a few options (or an extra adaptor). That’s enough for me to stick with 6-bolts.

AlexSimon

The only hubs I’ve seen with centerlock are Shimano and DT Swiss.
    The good DT Swiss were too dear for me and I’ve no time for cup-and-cone hubs so that made the decision for me.
    Hope 6-bolt.

gogg
    Free Member

I’ve been offered a good deal on some DT Swiss 350s, hence the quandary?

gogg
    Free Member

Thanks Northwind, the options limiting your choice of rotor I guess?

allyharp

For me things like this often come down to trying to minimise the amount of parts that I don’t carry a tool to fix. In the very unlikely event that I had to remove a broken rotor out on the trail (no, I have no idea what might cause this situation and still leave the wheel rideable) then I have a torx key on my multi-tool, or alternatively stand a far better chance of finding one at a local garage than I do for a lockring tool.

gogg
    Free Member

Thanks Ally, that’s a consideration that I hadn’t considered. Although like you I’m also trying to think what might cause the situation.

I’m picking up a KISS vibe from the collective so far.

😉

DanW
    Free Member

6 bolt has a greater choice of rotors (cheap, light, whatever is most important)
    The equivalent 6 bolt rotor and fastners is lighter than the equivalent centrelock
    If you need a rotor in a hurry you’ve a better chance of a LBS/ friends having a 6 bolt rotor
    6 bolt can be shimmed if you have multiple wheelsets with slightly different rotor alignment
    Centrelock is um… can’t see any advantages!

You can convert a centrelock to 6 bolt though so it not the end of the world to get the DT hubs. Personally I’d just get Hope Pro II’s for a decent all round no nonsense hub with great back up

richmtb

I prefer Cenrelock as a mounting system, its a lot quicker and easier.

But how often do you need to change rotors. The better hub choice for 6 bolt probably wins the argument

gogg
    Free Member

Seems the bolts have it…

Shame those Swiss hubs were a sweet deal…

teethgrinder

Then get the DT hubs and use centre lock to 6-bolt adaptors.

gogg
    Free Member

but that adds twice the weight….

tmb467
    Free Member

Sweet deal on good hubs or a few grams extra rotating weight (albeit right on the pivot)

I know what I’d go for. Had a pair of those hubs and they were very nice

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Yep, loving my DTSwiss 240 hubs here, glad I don’t need to listen to that Hope Pro 2 any more.

Black hope pro 2 front hub for sale by the way, 6 bolt, 20 and 15mm adapters

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Why should I use bolt-on rotors rather than centre locks?’ is closed to new replies.