Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Why isn’t there an IS for gear hangers?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Why isnt there an IS for rear gear hangers. Wouldn’t life be so much easier if they were all the same?

I_Ache
    Free Member

How would they sort that out?

And you would still have to carry one for it to be any use. Same as now.

crazy-legs

Yes but at least it wouldn’t be the stock nightmare for shops that it is now. There’s literally dozens of different types on the market often changing within bike ranges and even year-to-year on otherwise nearly identical bikes, it’s a total pain for bike shops.

sofatester
    Free Member

There is, all rear mechs bolt onto any gear hanger…

…and what I_Ache said.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I was so tempted then to do a ‘funny’ edit! I managed to restrain myself.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Same reason there’s no IS for headsets,bottom brackets bolt through axles,seat tube diameters,front mech fitting the list goes on……

ross980
    Free Member

I agree with Mcmoonter. Was a complete nightmare getting a replacement hanger for my old stumpjumper.

Rorschach
    Free Member

All you’ve got to do is get every manufacturer to sit down together and agree on a design that will work with every drop out configuration and design….simples

ross980
    Free Member

Even if each manufacturer only did one or two types it wouldn’t be so bad. Specialized do nearly 20

coatesy
    Free Member

Good luck with that one, they can’t even stick to International Standards they’ve already agreed on.

13thfloormonk

And there’s a danger it might actually save the consumer money, which as we all know is NOT what MTB companies are about…

13thfloormonk

Actually sorry, on a more useful note, is there not already a ‘universal’ emergency rear mech hanger on the market? Clamps in place using the QR.

khani
    Free Member

In one of the American mags when they got a bike to test, part of the test was ringing various dealers to see if they had the hanger in stock, the result was included in the final score and marked down if the hangers weren’t available
    Not a bad idea IMO, wonder if a British mag would do that?

seosamh77
    Free Member

here’s a thought, could they not just make a bendy one that snaps back into place after you walllop it? maybe not, but surely there’s a better solution.

Northwind

13thfloormonk – Member

“And there’s a danger it might actually save the consumer money, which as we all know is NOT what MTB companies are about…”

TBH they’d still sell them for the same price, it’d be them that saved the money…

Agreed with some posts up the page, it’s right that there’s an assortment to fit various frames but when you look at the sheer variety and crossover it’s just daft. I’ve got a BETD one here that’s cosmetically almost identical to a Hemlock dropout but has the holes about 1mm further apart frinstance… BETD have 208 sizes listed!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Why isn’t there an IS for gear hangers?’ is closed to new replies.