Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Why I drink?
  • piemonster

A) Success rate of a good visit to Mr Beer etc is roughly 1 in 10. The rest vary from ‘a bit boring’ to ‘actually a bit unpleasant’

B) I lack the quality of constitution to adequately tolerate even moderate levels of Alcohol. 4 pints of sub 5% alcohol is a big night. And one I’m likely to pay for. Probability of hang over 7 in 10.

C) I lack common sense. Probability of drinking one more drink than I should. 9 in 10.

So I rarely enjoy it, it regularly makes me I’ll, and I’m an idiot.

Any answers to “Why I drink” on a ******* postcard please.

Worth pointing out here, this in not every day, once or twice a week, never more than 4 beers or equivalent.

Anyway, must get back to wasting a day off work. FFS. Someday maybe I’ll sort the ‘common sense’ bit and just quit. Right where’s google for searching ‘give up booze’

Flaming welcome.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Eh?

Are you drunk?

piemonster

Hungover more like
    Crumpets are helping btw

cynic-al
    Free Member

Everything you need to know is in the OP.

You just need to accept it, when you are ready.

fasthaggis

Is it STW that’s turning you to drink
    🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So I rarely enjoy it

You’re drinking the wrong stuff

it regularly makes me ill

You’re drinking too much of it

and I’m an idiot.

You said it!

Jamie
    Free Member

Everything you need to know is in the OP.

You just need to accept it, when you are ready.

jekkyl

problem is…. have a few… self control lowers… end up having a few more.
    So either don’t drink at all or have more self control when you do.

piemonster

Imagine that guy, but pallid and ill looking.

piemonster

Hmmm self control, is this some new fad?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jamie, that is me, but under a duvet, watching daytime tv, with a glass of red.

piemonster

Right now I should be trundling past Loch Dochard heading into Glen Kinglass and on towards Loch Etive.

Idiot.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Right now I should be trundling past Loch Dochard heading into Glen Kinglass and on towards Loch Etive.

Idiot.

It’s sunny in Scotland today as well!

jekkyl

The day’s not over yet mate, it’s only half 12, get gone. You’ve got lights, you needn’t be back till much later.
    Hair of the dog?

piemonster

Hair of the dog?

😆

cloudnine
    Free Member

Just stop drinking for a month and see how you feel about it.. if you can.

I behave in a similar way with alcohol but decided to just give it up as a lost cause. Had about 6 beers and a few glasses of wine since August.
    Not bothered about it anymore and saved about 15-20 hangovers to varying degrees.

alpin
    Free Member

if weed were legal i could easily go without drink, i think…

however a nice cold Tegernseer after a ride or a bottle of Edelvernatsch from South Tyrol would be hard to say no to. so perhaps not.

if weed were legal i could easily drink less.

in the last three or so years i haven’t experienced many proper hang-overs.

however, went into town on the weekend and done the Munich touristy thing with my visiting B-in-L… three beer halls, several Maß and then a club/bar till 3am. was feeling a little shakey the next day…

piemonster

Just stop drinking for a month and see how you feel about it.. if you can.

As it goes, just fantastic.

Oddly it wasn’t drinking I needed to give up, but getting drunk. I’d like to think I’d discovered a subtle psychological trick to change my behaviour. But I suspect I was just ready to change behaviour.

Drac

As it goes, just fantastic.

Only one way to celebrate then.

Bear
    Free Member

We have a nice micro pub near us and only have 3 or 4 beers on at any one time.

Quite simple I have a half of each so that I get lots of variety as they are all usually very different.

Happy to go out for an hour or two and have 4 halves.

Saying that sometimes it does degenerate but luckily I don’t suffer as you do. If you enjoy beer try having halves?

tinybits
    Free Member

is that a way to wean back onto booze?

I did the same with Nicorette patches. Couldn’t stand the smell of smoking, however once I had built up a decent dependency on nicotine, it was a much easier step to get to 20 / day.

BoardinBob

I’m doug Stanhope and that’s why I drink

scotroutes

Here.. have some photos to look at instead

P1050314

shermer75
    Free Member

Sounds like we’ve been through some similar thought processes Piemonster. I was definitely a total pisshead, now I very rarely get hammered and often have whole days in a row when I don’t drink at all (!). I’m sure it’s different for everyone, for me it was a long, slow process over many years with the odd moment of epiphany on the way but when I look back on how I used to drink it’s like looking at a completely different (and much less happy) person.

piemonster

Clear difference for me.

I started this thread hung over and nauseas wasting a day off work.

Today I’ve just chucked the last of the kit in the car for a weekend in Glencoe.

Weather is still crap, not a lot I can do about that.

neilthewheel

if weed were legal i could easily go without drink, i think…

however a nice cold Tegernseer after a ride or a bottle of Edelvernatsch from South Tyrol would be hard to say no to. so perhaps not.

if weed were legal i could easily drink less.
    It messes with your short-term memory and you start repeating yourself.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Why I drink?

…because alcohol is a drug and you enjoy its effects; drugs tend to be moorish, which is why you find it difficult to moderate your intake.

binners

The weather forecast is ok for the weekend though. So you could drink Al fresco 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

Peer pressure. I’m considered an anti-social misery if I don’t drink on a night out in the UK or Germany where there are strong “round” cultures, however in France nobody comments on what I drink and when we leave a table there are sometimes unfinished drinks on it.

badnewz
    Free Member

A 7 out of 10 hangover after just four pints…you should drink more and build up some tolerance!

iolo
    Free Member

I love a drink. Saturday night usual drunkenness. A Dublin day trip for the craick and guiness was one of my favourite pastimes. Had a great time in the oktoberfest in Munich a few years back.
    I have been on pills now for the last 3 years and haven’t been drunk since. I have maybe one glass of wine with the sunday meal and that’s it.
    Do I miss it? Not at all.

piemonster

scotroutes – Member
    Here.. have some photos to look at instead

http://www.flickr.com/photos/druidh2000/sets/72157632952060048/

Smart, thats my new hobby that push bicycle back packing that is!

seosamh77
    Free Member

4 beers! 😆 I assume you are drinking super strength beer or lager?

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m quitting booze tomorrow.

There will be blood.

scotroutes

Woah. What happened to this thread. I’m sure it was more than 3 days ago I posted that Flickr link

pondo

Well, using Lent as a launch point*, I’m giving the stuff up, for a bit at least. Just been drinking too much, too often – bad day at work? **** it – get the beers in. Hey, it’s the weekend – that’s three nights of beer in a row! 🙂 Bit over it, not enjoying it much, spending too much money, feel rubbish and I can’t lose weight.

So this weekend gone was the first weekend off, and d’you know what? It weren’t half as bad as I feared. And I know, when i get home tonight, instead of feeling rubbish and being tempted to pop into Londis, I’m gonna go home and clean my bike so she’s all shiny for the next ride. 🙂

* With exceptions, a weekend away booked in March and we’re off to Picardy for the end of Lent in April.

seosamh77
    Free Member

btw I’ve never really understood the need to go off beer, I drink shedloads when I do, but I think nothing of not drinking for months at a time.

I’d reckon if you actually need to make an effort to stop drinking, really you’re verging on alcoholism.

40mpg

I’m considering something like this.

Spent Sunday wondering why my feet felt like they’d been through a mangle, my calf muscles felt like I’d done 100 miles (uphill, with a headwind) and I had a bruise right across my lower back like I’d been hit with a baseball bat. And I smelt of last nights kebab.

Also my wallet was empty, and I vaguely remember the inside of a strange car with velour seats.

Hmm.

ThePinkster

btw I’ve never really understood the need to go off beer, I drink shedloads when I do, but I think nothing of not drinking for months at a time.

^this^
    I got out of the habit of drinking following a messy bit of personal life – it was tempting to go & get sh!!faced most of the time but I decided that would be a bad idea and probably make things even worse, so I just stooped drinking most of the time.

Still enjoy a good session occasionally and the odd glass (possibly 2 or 3) of wine at home but will regularly go for months without a drink at all.

To me it makes the night out having a drink with mates more of an occasion and all the more enjoyable.

dabble
    Free Member

Hear hear seosamh and The Pinkster.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Why I drink?’ is closed to new replies.