Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Why don't road riders use camelbaks?
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

‘Real’ roadies can ride for thousands of miles without additional fluids.

The British Rider Tom Simpson died during the 1967 Tour de France on Mont Ventoux – it is believed he collapsed and died of shock after seeing one of his fellow competitors ask for a second water bottle.

One of our old boys in the road club trained and raced in Belgium/ France during the 60’s and 70’s. He was told not to drink during a race as it was bad for your stomach. Old habits die hard, he will turn up for a 100 miler on a Sunday with half a bottle of water and a banana. 😯

m1kea
    Free Member

I used my old small road oriented Razorbak last night on the BHF L2B nightride as I needed to carry some extra kit for this morning.

I reckon 70% of my rides are with a Backpack (commutes) or Camelbak and the backpack usually avarages 13lbs / 6Kgs. Kind of got used to it after 15+ years of (road) commuting.

I guess I’m a statistical outlier?

Inbred456
    Free Member

On the mountain bike my camelbak is less likely to get covered in animal poo where as my water bottle seems to attract every bit of crap on the trail, on the road this is less of a problem. If I can I’ll always ride with water bottles over a camelbak any day. (Poo permitting .)

jota180
    Free Member

You tend to eat as you ride along on the road bike, not easy to get stuff out of a Camelbak on the move nor is it easy to access jersey pockets with a pack on.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

boxbuster – Member
    bjj.andy.w – Member
    Because if you wear a camelback other roadies will know what you are. A mountain biker pretending to be a roadie. I bet they never acknowledge you when your out either.
    They were all very polite and all said hello with a smile (probably mocked me once I’d passed)

Oh, must just be me then 😆

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Look the real reason that roadies don’t wear camelbaks is because their weedy, underdeveloped child-like upper bodies can’t support the weight.

crazy-legs

One of our old boys in the road club trained and raced in Belgium/ France during the 60’s and 70’s. He was told not to drink during a race as it was bad for your stomach. Old habits die hard, he will turn up for a 100 miler on a Sunday with half a bottle of water and a banana.

Nicole Cooke used to turn up occasionally on the club rides when I was in Cardiff – this was early days when she was still a Junior. Her Dad coached her at the time and he was also old school – I remember Nicole riding with us one freezing winters day in shorts, a L/S lycra jersey and a pair of fingerless gloves. We were all in full thermals, it didn’t get above zero all day. When we reached the cafe stop at the 50 mile mark, she just carried on. She was blue with cold but her Dad believed that kind of training would toughen her up. She had one 500ml bottle (probably frozen!) and a banana. 😯

Re Camelbaks – what do you need to carry on a road ride? Small multi tool, tube, pump, patch kit, tyre lever, one water bottle, bit of food and some cash. Jersey pockets and an under-saddle bag, bottle in cage.

smell_it
    Free Member

It’s mainly the wet noses ire at the rules that keeps me quoting them. I find them a bit of a giggle but worry for anyone that believes them or gets upset by them.

Back the op, there just is no need for one.

cinnamon_girl

I carry a small Camelbak containing a spare layer, buff, map, food, phone, credit card, small change, notebook, pen, pump. Under-seat pack contains spare tubes, multi-tool, tyre levers, chaintool.

How could I possibly fit that into a jersey pocket … and I don’t wear a jersey anyway!

Did I mention wearing baggies and trainer-style spds?

😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

randomjeremy –
    Look the real reason that roadies don’t wear camelbaks is because their weedy, underdeveloped child-like upper bodies can’t support the weight.

You have a beer gut then?

iainc

so all this reference to ‘the Rules’ yet loadsa folk seem to have seatpacks on their road bikes…..surely that’s as bad as baggy shorts and Camelbaks ? 😆

cinnamon_girl

I like to think I’m unique. 🙄

😉

lunge

As above, no real need. 2 bottles on the frame, gels, pump and a wind proof in jersey pockets, tube, levers and a multitool in a saddle pack (yes, it is against The Rules). Feels really odd wearing a pack now.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

The comparitively bent-over position of being on a road bike makes the Camelbak more likely to increase back pain I think.

That and my desperation to coax a fraternal nod of approval, just the one, just once, from Rules-obsessed real roadies made me ditch the Camelbak.

Usually they zip past me so quickly they probably don’t notice the hairy legs and SPD shoes.

oldgit
    Free Member

Usually they zip past me so quickly they probably don’t notice the hairy legs and SPD shoes.

Nope, your names in the special book.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Why don't road riders use camelbaks?’ is closed to new replies.