Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Why doesn't anyone make a decent non-SPD style winter shoe?
  • WillC9999
    Free Member

Autumn is here with all its mists, mellow fruitfulness…and clag.
    As a non-clip rider I despair of finding a decent winter boot. Something stiff, with reasonable ankle height, waterproof/resistant outer, maybe neoprene with ankle cuff etc. Various SPD versions exist but nothing for us flatties. Why not? Surely there must be others like me just waiting to spend money on the missing boot?!

I_Ache
    Free Member

have a look here.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Any mid approach shoe will do the job like Merrells

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

i always found approach shoes to be too flexible and not as much grip as skate shoes.

5.10’s
    Grangers waterproofing (or dubbin if you’re old skool)
    Seal Skins.

deus

tisnas +1

muggomagic

If you can find some that fit nicely over flat shoes then some overshoes would keep the worst of it out.

WillC9999
    Free Member

+1 for approach shoes being generally too soft, plus all the laces, and lack of mud-shedding outer. And why should I put up with the PITA of overboots?! I do use SealSkinz socks but find them heavy and wet, marginally better than being cold and wet admittedly, but far crapper than a normal sock inside a decent dry boot!

WillC9999
    Free Member

Oh and when wet, 5 10’s weight 50 kilos, plus they take over a year to dry.

creamegg
    Free Member

Have to agree there is a lack of decent shoes for flats, especially when it comes to winter. I currently use sme Vans skater shoes which have excellent grip on flats but they soak water up like a sponge. Will have to find something better for this winter

RustySpanner

Karrimor KSB’s?

Not the grippiest sole, but comfy, stiffish and they do a waterproof version.
    Cheap at Sports Direct.

xcgb
    Free Member

I ache
    Lol 🙂

WillC9999
    Free Member

KSBs still have laces and a fabric outer, and no cuff. But granted, it’s a step in the right direction. What I don’t get is why no one makes something – are no-SPD types (like me), such a minority?!

aracer
    Free Member

Admittedly they’re not exactly what you’re after as they’re not completely waterproof (they have vent holes) but AM41s appear to be better than the alternatives and worth a look. They certainly shrug off mud and water better than skate shoes – I wore mine to ride in the snow and had snuggly feet. Mine are in storage waiting for winter as I find them a bit warm (wearing Vans Gravels at the moment – they at least don’t soak up water in the way 5/10s supposedly do), though seriously considering getting them back out at the moment as they also have soles which grip a bit better on mud!

scruff
    Free Member

AM41s, here. Buy them in summer then by winter time they will have stretched so much youll need to waer thick socks to get them to fit.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Shimano used to do hiking-boot type thing with a Vibram sole that had cutouts if you did want to run cleats. I dunno if they still do them.

avdave2

Scruff I’m just about to buy some AM 41’s and was going to go with 44’s the same size as I have in MW80’s to fit thermal sealskins in the winter. However I normally use 43’s in shimano summer shoes but can’t get the sealskins in them without taking out the insole. From what your saying I’d be fine to stick with 43’s though?

mintimperial

AM41s and merino-lined Sealskinz work well for me, although I do use MW80s and SPDs when it’s really **** filthy in the depths of winter. So from about September to mid-June, in a good year… 😐

I find my AM41s have quite a bit of give in them cos they’re lace up, so I can wear mine with thin summer socks in summer and big winter socks (with a liner, even) in winter and they still fit ok.

scruff
    Free Member

avdave2-= I think so, mine have stretched quite a bit.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Why cant you just buy SPD compatible boots and use them?

aracer
    Free Member

Don’t know about AM41s stretching – not used mine all that much – but I certainly fitted thick socks into mine which are my normal shoe size. Not owned any other Shimano shoes for ages, but when I did I found them rather narrow, so AM41s are probably a bit more roomy than other Shimanos.

bigyinn – SPD compatible boots don’t tend to have soles which grip as well on flat pedals – certainly wouldn’t want to use my Northwave SPD boots on flats (then again my feet slipping off the pedals tends to have more severe consequences than for most people using flats).

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Mid-height goretex walking boots works for me – currently Salomon Elios 🙂 but then I do spend a lot of time walking, rather than riding 😳

druidh
    Free Member

To the OP – I’m guessing the reason that no one makes what you are after is simply lack of demand. Just another symptom of the strange bubble that surrounds mountain biking in the UK ( see the “why don’t we have any world class XC racers” threads).

kimbers

vans have a line of winter skate shoes called weather pack

waterproof uppers but they dont look too great once water goes over the top

http://www.treds.co.uk/product/mens_footwear_trainer/vans/edgemont_%28weather%29blk-red/52805/

mtbant
    Free Member

I’ve been Using Teva Links, with Seal skins. Lighter than 5.10s and dry out a bit quicker but I have been wondering why we cant get like a NorthWave winter boot with a nice flat soul for the flats too!! very frustrating.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Shimano do

Northwind

5 10 have been promising a goretex flat for years, but still no sign of it.

Teva are doing a hi-top soon aren’t they? That’ll probably do the job better than anything else out there now, though I don’t think it’s going to have a cuff.

avdave2

Thanks scruff et al, I’ll go with 43’s.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

DVS do winterised skate shoes as well, certainly not a bad option

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Why doesn't anyone make a decent non-SPD style winter shoe?’ is closed to new replies.