Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Latest Man cave project
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

So MrsWCA had been on Pintrest and seen recycling of old pallets. We discussed in briefly and I decided to make the mancave more man cave-ish. Clearly what was needed was a recycled pallet feature wall. It was a bit late in the afternoon but dusk is always the best time to go rob some pallets (always ask the owners permission before robbing their pallets).

Pallets are gits to split. I am sure the Union of Pallet Builders is in league with the Association of Ringed Nail Makers. Use any tools you can to pull them apart without splitting too many.

Some will split but hey, they were free. The magnetic bowl is great for stopping the nails spreading around the floor. There are LOTS of nails.

Two pallets down.

Did I mention the nails?

I will just leave the rest on the back of the truck as there is no rush and I fancy a beer in the hot tub

Next morning. Let’s sand the ones I have harvested and see if they are any good

I will try all the old tins of stain I have on the shelf to see what the effects are. Hopefully some will work out, not sure it will be the interior car wax

You know I said they were old tins. This is meant to be smooth varnish

How much interior car wax to cover pallet wood?

Well, that was enough for 2 ½ planks

From top right. Ronseal Quick Dry Mahog, Antique Oak, Car wax, Peruvian Mahog Stain, B&Q Mahog, Ronseal walnut. Ronseal varnishes were the easiest to apply and seemed to go further but I am sure there are other good brands

I thought that was good progress for the day and I could relax when MrsWCA reminds me the drive is being stripped and resurfaced in the morning so the truck needs emptying. Crack on and get this lot done

One last pallet

It was the best pallet of the lot. 3 metres long and virtually fell apart in my hands. The down side was trying to get the nails out. They seemed to be made of over boiled spaghetti

The stained ones laid out in a sample pattern. They will obviously be on the wall and not the worktop but I like the idea of darker pallets at the bottom getting lighter as the go up the wall but that depends on what varnish I have left.

All the pallets split up and stored while they dry a bit ready for sanding etc. The first two pallets were dry, the rest got wet in the back of the truck over night 🙁 . I guess I will have to let it dry before sanding and staining this lot.

Current thinking is to batten the wall and nail the planks to the battens. There is one power socket that will poke through. Need to decide whether to wall mount the TV in which case there will be more bracing behind it. Probably just stick the TV on a shelf.

More as and when I get round to it.

z1ppy

top four picture are seemingly ‘private’, so I can’t see what you used to break up the pallets, search for “pallet breaker, if you plan to do many more…

squirrelking
    Free Member

None loaded for me, pics or GTFO 😉

Genuinely interested to see what you have done btw.

Davesport

Aye, problem with all of the images here too.

Drums fingers on desk and waits 😀

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member
    CountZero

Generally speaking, the best pallets to go for are printers pallets, the ones we get at work are usually 960×720, or thereabouts; they tend to use better quality wood, and are better finished, because they have trimmed stacks of printing paper on them. I’ve actually got a table I built years ago using seven of those pallets stacked up, with a sheet of the chipboard used on the top of the paper to strap it down glue gunned to the top which is stood by one of our folding machines. Very handy load of drawer-like slots for sticking stuff in as well.
    They do take some breaking up, though.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Got some of the pallets in place

Still more needed though as I plan to cover the wall as far as the fuse box

Andy

Like that Nick. Good effort.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Thanks.

Wall finished and seat completed.

Need to put up a shelf for the beers and a bar / storage unit for the stereo / TV and obviously complete the other wall

kevj
    Free Member

I was in a competitors office in Rotterdam last year. They had the works canteen clad with random scaffolding boards. It looked pretty good, very modern.

rOcKeTdOg

No see piccy

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Piccy no no

jon1973
    Free Member

Genuinely interested in this as I want to do something similar with my garage, but I can’t see any pics either.

Edit..just seen your link

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

https://goo.gl/photos/coiuU1yWJr1WFa5M7

The album says it is shared but it appears that the pictures in it aren’t. Google Pics hates me

dude
    Free Member

Looking good…

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

All ready for the Return of the Thursday Night Ride

benjbish

Wow, wouldn’t recognise it! Good job Nick, a new career in the making.

somafunk

Where’s that rather dodgy looking bench seat you made out of car springs? 😉

Looks good btw

kayak23

Mint.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Dodgy bench seat?!?!

That was engineered from genuine BMW suspension components (and a scaffold plank).

It is currently sat outside the hot tub / sauna cabin because I stuck it on the drive while using it as a spray paint bench and then the guys resurfacing the drive moved it.

davosaurusrex

Tidy

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

tidy

Nah, I just stuck a fookin great picture on the left to cover the mess

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Finished! (for now)

Walls now suitable ‘dressed’, extra beer storage and zombie killing tools added. The stuff on the walls and the wheel stack table in the corner are partly for cosmetic effect but mainly because it is a garage and I need to store stuff.

MrOvershoot

Liking the beer storage 🙂

My IPA collection is just sat in a crate in the bike store, nice & cool though means I can always have a cool beer in the heated workshop, bike fettling is always better with beer.

Out of interest Nick what is the red bar stool as it looks better than the crappy Bomba copy I have.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Probably something from a 1950’s house of ill-repute knowing WCA 😆

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

what is the red bar stool

It is a red bar stool

🙂

We picked up 4 from Debenhams about 5 years ago and as they get damaged or the chrome fades MrsWCA takes them down the garage. The one I am sat on in the kitchen is sinking slowly so I think there will be two red bar stools down there soon.

brakes
    Free Member

needs more dartboard
    and a poster of JMC

MrOvershoot

WorldClassAccident – Member

“what is the red bar stool”

It is a red bar stool

Yea thanks you bastard 😆

looking on here Simplybarstools at the moment

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Dartboard already in place. Seating and bar set up to watch the people play

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Latest Man cave project’ is closed to new replies.